Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3ds MAX 8 it won't open at all! (Error: Unhandled Exception)

RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
Hi,
I just discovered that my dear 3ds Max won't start...
It load the splash-screen it open the main window, but before we can see the grids it freeze! and it give me the usual message, if I want to save my scene...:rolleyes:

The only detail in the error message is Error: Unhandled Exception

I think I need a BIG help...

Thanks in advance:)
Post edited by Ramiel on

• CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    backup all your scenes and materials, etc.. just to be safe.:) then have you tried re-installing?
  • RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
    Not yet (my CD's archive is pure chaos, so I should search the CD), but I hope to use the re-install solution only as an extreme solution...:D
    hmmm... do games or other direct x stuff still work? have you tried other video driver modes like software or ogl?
    Hey, don't use this "technobabble" with me!:mad:
    :lol:

Could you be a little more clear? (yes, I'm a PC idiot:p )
    try running max in alternative graphics modes. you should have an option to change this below your max startup icon in your start>programs>autodesk
    It doesn't work... Thanks anyway
    just reinstall, it'll probably fix it, maybe. It usually works for me.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Might be some plugin having a hissy fit or the license utilities as well. You're not getting a filename or anything in the error message?
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    No, just the "Unhandled Exception" message in the Autodesk report...
    Probably I will reinstall it...:(
  • ClayClay0 Posts: 17Member
    Copy all of your plugins in the max directory plugins and plugcfg... paste them to the desktop then delete them from the max directory... If that fixes it you know it is the plugins, start adding them back in one at a time... I had this happen to me before with max5 and that solved the problem, ended up I had downloaded the wrong version of blurfire.
    I can try, but I haven't downloaded any new plugin... The last week it worked and now no...:confused:
  • ns_exilens_exile171 Posts: 0Member
    Ramiel wrote: »
    I can try, but I haven't downloaded any new plugin... The last week it worked and now no...:confused:

With computers, that means nothing... what worked one moment can stop working the next, sometimes it's just which way the wind is blowing. :)

I would do a quick chkdsk first, make sure you're not dealing with any mess on the disk, them maybe a disk cleanup to make sure you're not building up any temp files, you'd be surprised how much trouble that can cause. Worst comes to worst, reinstall Max.
    Apparently, if I remove the vrender60.dlr (the V-Ray renderer plugin) it works... But I need the Vray renderer...:(
    I think I should re-install Vray...
  • firewolffirewolf0 Posts: 0Member
    [hijack]

man, i wish i could afford vray.....much too expensive....cop's salary, with a new baby......nah, can't afford it.

okay, here's the thread back. :D

[/hijack]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    you can get a free trial....
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    I had a damn weird problem once with Max crashing on maximize from minimized mode. Turned out to be a DELL (makes the crossign) specific problem pertaining to the Nvidia graphics driver. I had to uninstall the drivers, boot in Safe VGA, re-install the drivers (sacrifice a chicken) and the reboot normally. After that it magically works again =)

So you might try that route out too. This error manifested itself apparently at random time after several months of perfectly working setups
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    It's not a Dell specific problem, it's an NVidia-specific problem asz. Something about the video card not being able to reload the viewports properly after minimising and getting scared. I'm having it too, only mine ends up in BSOD.

Thought I fixed it by disabling NView and updating my drivers, but it just popped up again yesterday, so I guess I need to find a chicken to sacrifice now. :p
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    "Ya, we needa some more voodoo magic in hear, man"

It sort of works better with the latest Nvidia drivers for my card, but sometimes it still dies. I blame Autodesk for the DELL reference, they told me that when I called :devil:
  • ClayClay0 Posts: 17Member
    Wow, I would have expected a blame sony :devil: but dell works too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Same happened to me once with Brazil, fortunately it didn't last long, just re-isntall brazil (RIO THAT IS LOL!).
    I think re-installing Vray is my only option... I can work with max now, but I can't live without the Vray renders!!! (just kidding:D )