Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Flat Eric's Voyager mesh problem

YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
Okay, basically this is the deal. I have Flat Eric's voyager mesh downloaded directly from his site, i open it up in 3d studio max and do a render of the camera he has set up and it looks fine on the default renderer, but when i set it to mental ray it looks like crap... Here are pics to show what i mean, the first is just the scanline renderer and the second is the mental ray. What is going on with it? I checked every setting i know, which isn't many, and can't figure it out, does it have to do with the textures themselves? It's like some are reacting differently to the light. This is with both renderers set to high quality presets.

Attachment not found.
Attachment not found.

Any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by Yaric on

• RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like that texture is self-illuminated... Weird...:confused:
    (Also I suggest to use a sharper filter, like a Catmull-Rom...;) )
  • NamelezzNamelezz0 Posts: 0Member
    Turn on final gather in the mental ray settings. Looks like GI issue.
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    It does the same with or without final gather. Basically i've gone through and checked all the meterials for any self illumination, there is none, i've changed every setting on the renderer and nothing fixes it. I've turned off ray trace, turned off every option there is, no shadows, etc. and no effect. I've deleted all the lights in the scene and made new ones and it does the exact same thing with mental ray rendering... what gives...?
    Have you checked the specular level and such on the textures? If it is not a lighting problem, then it might be some with the texture. Probably not illuminated, but reflective or something like that. Start looking at you textures and see if something didn't get screwed up. I've had it happen to me a couple of times.
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    ok.. it's got something to do with the specular on the lights, i disabled all the specular options under advanced effects and the problem went away, so does that mean specular on that one material being used for the hull plating is set different than other materials used as hull plating? I looked through all the materials and looked at the specular setting and they're all the same guess i'll keep looking though...

Edit: i guess we posted at the same time and came to the same conclusion...heh

does scanline do different things with specular than mental ray does?
    Mental Ray automatically ray traces everything. Scanline only does those things that have it enabled. And the specular and reflective settings really affect those things. It can take some playing with the textures to get them to look good in MR after setting them up in Scanline. but I really like the way MR can crank out an image. That is all I use.