Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3dsMax6 - can't import a file with over 60k polys - help?

CoxxonCoxxon0 Posts: 0Member
I've got a model that's approx 30k verts and 60k polys. It seems to export to a .3ds file without any problems. But when I try to import it back into a scene file I get an error message that says "vert index out of range" and it won't import.

When I export it and don't set 'keep texture coord.' and then import it, it comes in but the texture is messed up.

I figure surely there must be a way to export and import large models.

Anybody seen this problem before, and maybe have a solution?

Thanks!
Post edited by Coxxon on

• SnowCrashSnowCrash191 Posts: 279Member
    Run STL check on it before you export - that may find the errors
  • OriKOriK0 Posts: 0Member
    Perhaps you can try another file format or you sperate the mesh into 2 parts. The second solution is what I do if I have an object with more than 60.000 tris. It's not very comfortable but it works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Another solution is to export to .obj a lot. Apparently you can only go up to a cetain amount of verts/Polies with a .3ds format. Weather thats true, I dont know.
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    Exporting to older formats will certainly mean less polys/vertices, As already suggested I would start using .Obj format for exporting.
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    what are you importing from?
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    What everyone said. 3ds has a poly/vert limit. Try obj instead.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    If you were wondering, the .3ds limit is 65,536 verts and faces.
  • CoxxonCoxxon0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, for the replies.
    I found an obj importer/exporter for Max6.
    It kinda works. The problem is the texture (coordinates?) is ALL messed up.
    Don't suppose anybody knows of a specifiic place to find one that works simpler.
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    Max comes with a .Obj exporter built in, and the controls are so easy even I can use it.

What's wrong with the one you've got?
    I've got a model that's approx 30k verts and 60k polys. It seems to export to a .3ds file without any problems. But when I try to import it back into a scene file I get an error message that says "vert index out of range" and it won't import.

I've just re-read this.... Are you saying that you ALREADY have an object in Max and you are exporting to another format and then importing it back into Max?
    A.M. - I'm using Max 6 - it does not come with the native ability to export an .obj file type. Thus the need to find a good plugin.

S.C. - Yes to your question.
    Why export - wouldn't it be easier to merge it into the new scene?
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    HABWare Willkommen

Obj2max & max2obj.

As far as UVWs go, obj carries them just fine, unless you've got something other than basic unwrapping going on.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    SC - I'm trying to prepare if for public distribution as well as the ability to use the model in other programs. For that I would prefer to be able to send it out as something besides a .max scene.

Guer - I'm pretty sure that's the ones I'm using. Website certainly looked familiar. As for the texture mapping - parts of a single mesh are uvw box mapped while other parts had to be uvw unwrapped mapped. The final model is a single collapsed (not booleaned) mesh. It does use (excuse the lack of precise terminology) a single "material" with 3 sub materials. Basically 3 textures carried on one material, applied to various parts of the mesh. It's never been a problem with other file formats.
    Ok - now I'm with you. I'd still run the STL check on the mesh thats causing problems before trying to export it - that will normally identify any true errors.