Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Tex mapping or modeling?

TrojanTrojan0 Posts: 0Member
FOr ship exteriors, like logos, insignia, registry, etc., is it better to model them, or simply use mapping?

Chris
Post edited by Trojan on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    depends how detailed you want it :)
    I used a star trek font which had the communicator type logo in it to boolean that logo into the hull and used different coloured materials to show it :) but if you'd like a less poly-heavy model then you may want to use maps for the little details
  • Bunnyear1234Bunnyear12340 Posts: 0Member
    Crackpatch wrote: »
    depends how detailed you want it :)
    I used a star trek font which had the communicator type logo in it to boolean that logo into the hull and used different coloured materials to show it :) but if you'd like a less poly-heavy model then you may want to use maps for the little details

Yes thats right Detail fun with maps:thumb:
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    If you're doing a ship's registry, it's probably easier to create texture maps, since it's then easier if you want to change the registry/name etc.

Also since you can create pretty large image maps these days the loss of detail is almost negligable.
  • AuralisAuralis0 Posts: 0Member
    Just ask yourself.

Is the detail painted or constructed. And you have your answer.
  • TrojanTrojan0 Posts: 0Member
    Auralis wrote: »
    Just ask yourself.

Is the detail painted or constructed. And you have your answer.

Well that's just it: the stuff I'm asking about, I would have considered as being painted on. Yet, on a couple of meshes I'v dl'd., I was surprised to find them their own geometry.

Thanks for the reply guys; I guess it's one of those "to each their own" things.

Chris
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The other thing to consider is, which is easier for you; modeling or texturing. If you find one easier than the other, go with that.