Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D image from a picture

hippa03hippa030 Posts: 0Member
I need to convert a model of a space ship which I did in wood into a 3D mesh to be used in 3dMax.
How can I achieve this?
Post edited by hippa03 on

• biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Ok, two questions.

1 Do you know how to use Max?

2 How is that from a picture?
  • vividevolutionvividevolution171 CA. USAPosts: 26Member
    Do you have a picture of the model?
    It might be helpful if you posted the pictures or links to them.
  • backsteptbackstept2079 Posts: 927Member
    basically you just make the ship in max the same way you did with wood . . . only it's on the computer :D
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    This is probably more trouble than it is worth, but if you can take photos of your model from the front, side and top. Preferably from a distance using a telephoto lens, so as to make the images as close to orthographic as possible. It would really help if you painted a grid on the model, but that is probably out of the question.

I am unfamiliar with 3dMax, but most 3D packages have the ability to load images into the background, so you can trace around them with vertices. Some packages allow you to map the views on to planes that can be positioned as the sides of a box.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    From 3D world mag number 84:
    You can use 3D SOM, from Creative Dimension Software (Creative Dimension Software Ltd - Developers of 3DSOM Pro). It´s an image-based modelling software, which can export to 3DS.
    3D World Mag number 84, ships with a free version. Therefore, this version can´t export to 3ds. To do this, you need to buy the full version. ;)

3D Word Mag Home - 3D World ;)
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Dang. It's a little out of my price range, but that 3D SOM would be incredibly useful with physical models.
  • Bug 2000Bug 2000171 Posts: 0Member
    Hi.

If you have two or more pictures, (they don't need to be orthographic), of the model you can use REALVIZ - ImageModeler home page.

Take care.
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Also - STRATA Foto 3D does exactly what you are looking to do....

--J
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Cool options Bug and Jeffry. Therefore, VIZ isn´t like 3D SOM. With VIZ, you still have a manual work. ;)
    With 3D SOM, all that you need is to provide the right photos. Appears that STRATA works by the same way as 3D SOM.
    Anyway, good options. :)