Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

[3DS8] Corrugated Hose

BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
Hello everyone.

I am wrestling with another project of mine and I have a need to use a corrugated hose in it. For those who don't know, a corrugated hose is like the lumpy hose one finds on a dryer vent.

There is a hose tool in 3DS Max and it would work well except that I want the hose to conform to a certain path and I can't do that with the tool.

So, I created the hose as a loft along a spline path. To get the corrugated quality I am painstakingly inserting deformation points on the scale setting for the loft object. One at each 0.1% of the line. This is going to be 1000 points to edit. While I am doing this, and it looks good, I am thinking to myself, "There has to be a better way."

I had thought of applying a bump map but have had bad results in the past with the quality of such an application.

So I write here hoping that one of you experts may know of some secret trick to make this task a little easier. Even if there was a way to copy and paste points on the deformation curve editor it would be better than what I am doing.
Post edited by BDelacroix on

• CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    why dont you try controlling it with a tiled map or gradient... you could use displacement, bump or normal mapping.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
    Because of previous bad results using that, but I'm about to try it again anyway. 1000 points hurts.
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    Create your hose, then apply the pathdeform modifier.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, thank you. Now that is a solution. Sorry I didn't know about path deform before.
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    I have a question related to this, and I thought that I would ask here instead of starting a new topic.

I followed this thread, and using the help, I managed to create a hose using loft objects that follows a path that doesn't intersect solid objects. Yay!

Now, my problem. How can I attach the end to two different objects so that when the turret rotates, one end stays attached to the turret and on end stays attached to the base? I tried a regular hose but it ends up going through the solid objects pretty much all the time.

I appreciate any help on this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    you might have to use keyframes to keep the hose from going through, like stretch it etc... I think that would be easiest... correct me if im wrong