Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDY-500 and XCV-100 Freightliners. Reimagined Early United Earth ships.

SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
edited February 23 in Work in Progress #1
Latest Image:
CqycKhJ.jpg

Hi, I'd like to share a project I'm in the middle of working on - making some early Star Trek era ships for Dave Bissig, who is reimagining the early UE/Federation timeline and putting his own spin on things. You might have come across some of his work via videos he's done with the Trekyards gang.

He needed a DY-100-esque looking ship. So I kitbashed some of my older stuff, and blocked out a new front end that had a DY-100 style submarine sail and pointy nose.
7Kl2zAs.jpg

That has since expanded into two variants, a pre-warp sleeper ship, and post warp freightliner:
NXj3uFh.jpg

The idea is for modular configurations, depending on the mission:
10XeWcx.jpg

Since I'm making things modular, I decided I may as well resurrect my old unfinished XCV-100 ringship freighter and give it the same new warp ring drive as the DY-500:
t9pMUI2.jpg
rDT2YWa.jpg

As it stands right now, I've finished texturing this forward section and am going to make a start on the cargo pods over the weekend:
wisvFfs.jpg
dPlhZCZ.jpg

Post edited by SCE2Aux on
wibbleashleytingerrojrenHunter GLizzy777StarCruiserMadKoiFishMustang13Camaro68raztovsrspicerand 2 others.
Tagged:

• ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    I've been loving seeing these on the Discord. So good!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Excellent! Looking forward to more.
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    The DY series has always needed more fleshing out. Great stuff, as usual.
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    shipfisher wrote: »
    The DY series has always needed more fleshing out. Great stuff, as usual.

Thanks! Yeah the DY series is very basic, even in TOS-R, but it's a very interesting design.
    Really fascinating to see how rough the original filming model was!

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/DY-100_class_model
    publiusr
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Oh man you're knocking this out of the park! I love the modular idea, it's perfect for ships of that era
    SCE2AuxWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Oh man you're knocking this out of the park! I love the modular idea, it's perfect for ships of that era
    I'm glad you like it :) Thankfully the modular design allows me to make configuration changes even this late in the build process - like moving the warp drive ring to the middle of the ship - not so easy a task in the 23rd or 24th century hehe:
    JffAZmD.jpg

wibblesrspicerrojrenLizzy777StarCruiserMadKoiFishWarp Propulsion LaboratoryStarriggercaveat_imperator
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    edited January 30 #8
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    Thankfully the modular design allows me to make configuration changes even this late in the build process - like moving the warp drive ring to the middle of the ship - not so easy a task in the 23rd or 24th century.

Everything was better in the old days. ;)
    Post edited by wibble on
    SCE2Aux
    Brilliant! Love it man.
    SCE2Aux
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    These look great! Well done :+1:
    SCE2Aux
    edited January 31 #11

I think I'm about there for the FTL version of the DY-500. I'll probably switch to a more utilitarian grey colour for the sub-light versions of this ship:

UPJzTB6.jpg
    bCrdarf.jpg
    BZlySqy.jpg
    QU47u4r.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruiserwibblesrspicercaveat_imperator
    Now this looks unambiguously like something with interstellar capability, unlike what appeared on an LCARS display as a DY-500 in the TNG episode "Up the Long Ladder". I guess the art department never counted on sticklers like me still ruminating about a briefly displayed diagram nearly 40 years down the track.
    SCE2Aux
    Now this looks unambiguously like something with interstellar capability, unlike what appeared on an LCARS display as a DY-500 in the TNG episode "Up the Long Ladder". I guess the art department never counted on sticklers like me still ruminating about a briefly displayed diagram nearly 40 years down the track.

I wouldn't know what obsessing over decades old diagrams is like [whistles innocently...] =)
    edited February 9 #14
    I've been working on some new shot on this project, trying different things and attempting to broaden my skillset a bit (mostly to do with composition and asteroid displacement maps)

FEalefP.jpg
    mkSViQa.jpg
    KDf1mI3.jpg
    gd8ZM3A.jpg
    UqWxuXj.jpg
    2silmlS.jpg
    riFMINt.jpg

ashleytingerStarCruiserwibbleLizzy777MadKoiFishWarp Propulsion LaboratoryStarriggersrspicercaveat_imperator
    Outstanding! I wish I could do that!
    Great orthos.
    I've read elsewhere that this ship is your contribution to the 'Bissigverse' fan project. If other contributions even come close to this standard, it will be awesome.
    I admit I've been fond of Trekverse historical chronologies since first seeing Rick Sterbach's art back in that 1980 vintage spaceflight lineage book.
    I also admit to now tending towards a 'road not taken' approach to Trek history, which of necessity, couldn't include a major sci-fi franchise predicting things ahead of time. What event almost immediately preceded the production of the first Star Trek pilot? Picture a fork in the road in Dallas, Texas on a sunny day in November 2063, where shots (certainly from many directions) DIDN'T ring out. But my apologies... I digress...
    Sorry... 1963
    ST: First Contact Freudian slip.
    Outstanding. I tried my hands on asteroids once it didn't look bad actually but turned worse with later versions of blender. Did you use procedural maps for displacement or did you create custom maps?
    Great orthos.
    I've read elsewhere that this ship is your contribution to the 'Bissigverse' fan project. If other contributions even come close to this standard, it will be awesome.
    It's been really fun working on that project, he's got an educational background in history, so the detail that he puts into the sections I've seen so far has an authentic ring to it. The 'Bissigverse' is a kind parallel history to the Prime story, so it could definitely be considered as a road not taken, although at this point the franchise has been going on so long the idea of a Prime timeline doesn't hold the same weight for me as it used to. I just like cool ideas. :)

wibble wrote: »
    Did you use procedural maps for displacement or did you create custom maps?
    Yeah it's a set of procedural maps strung together to create different scales of rocky detail, and a Substance bump map for the really fine stuff. I'm thinking of doing another asteroid that uses these procedural maps, but plugged into a custom made mask so I can alter the finer displacement details for things like craters.
    wibble
    Third attempt at this shot, will probably leave it there.
    HXhX4u3.jpg
    StarCruiserseanrwibbleLizzy777Severussrspicercaveat_imperator
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]392 Posts: 9
    edited February 13 #21
    Why are there no images here?
    Thank you this was a VPN issue. Incredible images.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited February 11 #22
    Not sure, looks fine on my PC and phone. :/ Maybe there's a regional issue on Imgur's end?
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser364 Posts: 45Member
    Same here.
  • seanrseanr1123 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 602Member
    Definitely like this the best out of the various versions I've seen. Much less clutter than the previous one, and the rings are more clearly defined. Excellent work. 🙂
    HXhX4u3.jpg

Excellent!
    SCE2Aux
    Looking At this... it really feels like an image from 'out there' for lack of better words. Thanks for the trip B)
    SCE2Aux
    Currently in the middle of creating an icebound crash scene. Got the basics there, but still some things left to work out:
    MfM4AaC.jpg
    Lizzy777wibbleStarCruiserWarp Propulsion LaboratorytrekkiSeveruscaveat_imperator
    edited February 19 #28
    Looking great already. Excited to see what you will further do with it.
    Also: Mankind's first visit to Andoria?
    Post edited by wibble on
    The thought crossed my mind too! I've slapped a gas giant planet in the background as a photoshop experiment, but so far I'm not happy with the composition with a planet in the sky. I'll be doing further experiments though because I like the idea of this being Andoria.
    wibble
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Stupid Pink skins. Stumbling about on the ice. When will they learn.
    SCE2AuxStarCruiserwibble
    You better be quiet. I would like to see one of you blue slugs crawling through the Australian Outback.
    StarCruiserSCE2Aux