Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D"Building a ship in my basement"

[Deleted User][Deleted User]392 Posts: 9
edited January 15 in Work in Progress #1
None

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
Tagged:

• JESJES392 Posts: 195Member
    I once saw the Nautilus on the Red Admiral's old website. What an intriguing design! I think that it could use some redesign love!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]392 Posts: 9
    edited January 15 #3
    none
    Lt.Carter wrote: »
    Thanks for the info JES will have to look it up to see if there is any info out there. And yes i agree after somewhere around 25-30 years it would be nice to see this ship updated. I originally intended to also print out strip phasers and apply them after the ship was printed. But maybe someone will be inspired to recreate the Nautilus.

I was thinking "hey, if I could only find the time!". I'd love to redesign and model a new design for the Nautilus, but working up the skills to do it in Blender would just take too much time away from working on my portfolio, which I intend to use in my applications to switch careers as a concept artist. 3D modeling is something I want to resume learning, but it's just so freaking time-consuming!

Unfortunately, Trekmania didn't offer high quality images or info on the Nautilus. This is the first good image I've seen of her. I've always found the arrangement of the bussard collectors and warp grid on the nacelles to be reminiscent of butterfly wings. I think that he might have named the modeler, but you'd have to find it on the Wayback Machine, because his website has long since gone to that big matrix up in the sky.

Doesn't mean that I can't redesign her in 2D, and someone else can then model her. That, or I'll maaybe do it way later...
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Hey, good to see you around again Lt. Carter!
    Last december I was looking for your old meshes, with no luck.
    I think that i have the nautilus stored in one of my old cd´s, but I´m unsure... Can you share the mesh?
    About the wips that stay forever in unfinished state, I know the feeling. My backlog is huge! Last december I released a conversion of a Cheyenne variant which I was working since 2008... Ouch!!! I hope to be more productive this year and ahead. ;)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    edited January 4 #6
    Post edited by Starship on
    edited January 15 #7
    none

edited January 15 #8
    none
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Yes i am back and my old meshes are still in the releases section most are in the link at the bottom to the older meshes. I do not know if i can post the mesh to the releases section as it is not my ship [...]

Hi, welcome back. Just answering this one real quick. You should only upload your own meshes or stuff you have explicit permission to distribute. I can appreciate the enthusiasm and the preservation angle, but I appreciate the artists right to their work a little bit more, so I'm not comfortable hosting models without being 100% sure the author is ok with it, which basically means only uploading your own stuff or having very clear permission to upload something here.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    edited January 15 #10
    none
    Yeah, don't worry about it. No need to edit anything. I just try to make a post whenever I get the opportunity to inform people, since the topic does come up pretty regularly. :)
    Guerrilla wrote: »
    Yes i am back and my old meshes are still in the releases section most are in the link at the bottom to the older meshes. I do not know if i can post the mesh to the releases section as it is not my ship [...]

Hi, welcome back. Just answering this one real quick. You should only upload your own meshes or stuff you have explicit permission to distribute. I can appreciate the enthusiasm and the preservation angle, but I appreciate the artists right to their work a little bit more, so I'm not comfortable hosting models without being 100% sure the author is ok with it, which basically means only uploading your own stuff or having very clear permission to upload something here.

Is it okay to still adopt an old design like this, and redo it? I've already done some prelim concept work. I've already seen at least one redesign in the form of the old Katana class, so I went in thinking that it wasn't unusual to update old fan designs.

Unfortunately, as Lt. Carter said, whoever made the Nautilus in this case has gone into the wind, and we have no way of evening knowing who to reach!

Could I at least keep the prelim sketches up in my thread? Do I have to keep my design a little closer to the original (I'm playing around with the redesign having a longer fantail like the Vesta class).
    Yeah, I think remaking an old design is fine. Just do your best to get permission and if that's no longer an option, make sure you mention any history you're aware of.
    JES
    edited February 15 #14
    re-posting my tribute to Jay Seals edited
    bl1u2n4kqz0e.jpg