Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS.S. Rosalind Franklin

rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
pbe6czowrzn8.png

If this ever had a thread of it's own I can't find it.
This is one of the few Star Trek ships I've done. It's Federation, but not Starfleet. It's a colonial support hospital ship that's newer than the Antares-type ships, but older than the Constitution class. Over it's life it's undergone two major refits, and I thought I'd show all three versions.

The bottom nacelle is the original 'factory' version. The middle one is my somewhat newer original version. The top one is from the last refit.

rebuild1116b-thumb.png
ashleytingerStarriggerevil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleLizzy777caveat_imperatorWarp Propulsion Laboratoryscifiericsrspicer
Tagged:

• StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    I don't know what it is, but I have always had a place in my heart for more "work a day" designs, looking good!
    scifieric
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like it. It has that workhorse look to it. The different nacelle designs are all sweet. We need more Federation civilian ships.
    Starriggercaveat_imperatorscifieric
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    I really like it, too. It's good to see someone is acknowledging that Federation and Starfleet aren't one and the same. Although the Shows indicate it they didn't do enough to differentiate in this point. I wonder if that's because Starfleet officers themself tend to forget that there are more organisations in the federation than Starfleet.
    scifieric
  • caveat_imperatorcaveat_imperator7 Posts: 11Member
    I remember this ship from your other thread. Thought it was a great design then and now.
    scifieric
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Thanks, all. I thought I was going to be able to just update this one, but the geometry is well and truly borked. Got to start over - except for the nacelles. They seem okay.

rebuild1121a-thumb.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180StarriggerLizzy777wibble
    Cut some holes in the hull. (One nacelle is mirrored, so one nav light is the wrong color.)

rebuild1125b1-thumb.png rebuild1125b2-thumb.png
    Starriggerevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperatorStarCruiserwolfmanwibblesrspicer
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    rojren wrote: »
    Thanks, all. I thought I was going to be able to just update this one, but the geometry is well and truly borked.

[IMG][/img]

The idea of multiple nacelle supports is interesting…
    Adding some markings and the like. And fixing a whole bunch of things that don't show up, but will cause problems later if I don't fix them now.

rebuild1129a1-thumb.png rebuild1129a2-thumb.png
    evil_genius_180StarriggerLizzy777caveat_imperatorStarCruiserpubliusrwibblesrspicer
    I've been fixing things, and then they come unfixed. The running lights and the ships livery keeps reverting to the wrong color. Grrrr.

rebuild1206a1-thumb.png rebuild1206a2-thumb.png
    MadKoiFishevil_genius_180StarCruiserwolfmanLizzy777caveat_imperatorwibblesrspicer
    Added another row of windows.

rebuild1208a1-thumb.png
    Lizzy777StarCruiserevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorwibbleashleytingersrspicer
    This ship is just so cool. I love the design, how it's a slight departure from the Starfleet norms, but you can still tell it's a Federation design. I really like a lot of your choices for details too, such as the deflector deisgn. It's similar to the one from TOS, but with some nice unique touches thrown in. And I really like how you did the bussard collectors. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this continues to progress.
    Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

I've added the door for the ramp, a couple of ports for the Captain's and CMO's cabins, and doors for the landing gear that I don't plan on making. I also added coils for the antigrav units that I assume all landing craft have, but don't show. I don't know how else most of the ships shown could get airborne, otherwise.

rebuild1211-thumb.png
    wibbleStarCruiserevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777publiusrcaveat_imperatorsrspicer
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2017 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Very cool
    edited December 2023 #15
    I like the antigrav coils. They're very unique, which is never a bad thing. :D
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Added the interior. I need to get the materials sorted, check for hull features that are missing, and then start on the older version.

rebuild1217-thumb.png rebuild1217a-thumb.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorwibbleashleytingerLizzy777srspicer
    I like the nacelle supports—slides out?
    No. They're just support flanges. I thought about changeable pylons, but that's more of a sports car feature, and this is more of a delivery van.
    evil_genius_180publiusr
    I'm debating how much detail to put in these things. And while I'm debating, I'm starting on the older pre-refit version of the ship.

rebuild1218-thumb.png rebuild1218-2-thumb.png
    StarCruiserLizzy777wibbleStarriggercaveat_imperatorpubliusrashleytinger
    I really like the nacelle design on the older version, especially the bussard collectors. That glass material is gorgeous too.
    rojrenpubliusr
    Changed the impulse engines, warp core access, tweaked the pylons, and nacelles.

rebuild1219-2a-thumb.png
    evil_genius_180StarriggerwibbleLizzy777caveat_imperatorpubliusrashleytinger
    I keep thinking that I should add details, but I want it to look TOS-ish... so...

rebuild1222a-thumb.png rebuild1222-thumb.png
    Lizzy777caveat_imperatorashleytingerStarriggerMustang13Camaro68wibble
  • PheylanPheylan528 Posts: 92Member
    I keep thinking that I should add details, but I want it to look TOS-ish... so...

Yes, less is more in some cases. The reason why TOS ships were so "plain" looking wasn't just because the show had a low budget, it was because Gene Roddenberry wanted them to be that way. He believed it would be silly for an advanced starship of the future to have it's sensitive equipment on the outside of the hull where it could get easily damaged and would be harder to reach. So your ship, which looks great btw, has just the right level of surface features, imo.
    ashleytinger
    Changed the impulse engines, warp core access, tweaked the pylons, and nacelles.

rebuild1219-2a-thumb.png

I really like that aft view…it would look great with a Connie aft view as well—shows similarities
    srspicer
    Started on the final refit. I'm thinking she was later parked and served as a medical center, and then was restored as a museum piece in the medical pavilion that grew up around her.

rebuild1224-thumb.png rebuild1224a-thumb.png
    Lizzy777StarCruiserevil_genius_180ashleytingerStarriggersrspicerMustang13Camaro68caveat_imperatorwibble
    Love the level you've got in this ship. It fits the era perfectly. And the later refit and original look are just *chef's kiss*
    publiusr
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    I'v always loved that nacelle design. One day I will use it on a commission build.......
    Great work as always! B)
    edited December 2023 #28
    Thanks everyone.
    I added the newer Federation seal/flag thingy and transporter emitters.
    rebuild1226b-thumb.png

And I was caught by surprise by the engine glowy bits. Reminds me of the 'Lower Decks' episode where Boimler changes quarters.
    rebuild1226b1-thumb.png
    Post edited by rojren on
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorwibblesrspicer

As done as they're gonna get.

Original Configuration:
    AA-01-thumb.png AA-02-thumb.png AA-03-thumb.png AA-04-thumb.png

Refit 1(upgraded power systems, improved shields, transporters/replicators added, general improvements)

BB-01-thumb.png BB-02-thumb.png BB-03-thumb.png BB-04-thumb.png

Refit 2 (upgraded power systems, upgraded navigational deflector system, computer upgrade, general improvements)

CC-01-thumb.png CC-02-thumb.png CC-03-thumb.png CC-04-thumb.png
    StarCruiserpubliusrsrspicerevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorashleytingerMadKoiFishwibbleLizzy777
    I love each era of this ship for very different reasons. She looks great!
  • Bell'OrsoBell'Orso331 Posts: 93Member
    loving the look of these, especially refit 2. may I ask, what's the projected crew complement? I personally think ~20 sounds good (captain + 3 or 4 more bridge crew, chief engineer + 3 or 4 more engineers, 3 or 4 doctors, 6 or 7 nurses), but what's your estimate?

(also, I apologise if this counts as "necro-posting" already)