Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DReady Room Stargazer

• vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 267Member
    publiusr wrote: »
    Anyone ever do a Reliant version of this? Two Reliant hulls top over bottom?

There's a Reliant ver but it never got past the maquette stage.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    publiusr wrote: »
    Anyone ever do a Reliant version of this? Two Reliant hulls top over bottom?

I don't know if you remember or even saw the 2D Starship kits that used to be available. They were basically .GIF images where you had a bunch of parts to Starfleet ship parts that you could drag and drop to any side view configuration you wanted. I used to see ships made from those all over, including a lot of interesting configurations with the Reliant saucer. I'm sure someone made a Stargazer/Reliant hybrid at some point using that method.
    publiusr
    Nacelle rebuild went faster than anticipated, so a coffee break and sorting out this evening's work on it...

ir3pix4xyrms.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777Mustang13Camaro68scifieric
    edited September 2023 #35
    I'm loving this. Your attention to detail is always fantastic. You can really see the kitbash-ness of the model more so than on the larger motion controlled model, since Greg Jein built that to look more like an actual ship that was being used in Starfleet, rather than as set dressing. (Also, he didn't have a kit to bash and had to mostly build that model from scratch)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    vfxartscifieric
    Merrily we roll along

fqjr262tsa7j.jpg
    Lizzy777lennier1ashleytingerevil_genius_180Mustang13Camaro68StarCruiserscifiericsrspicer
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    Great job!
    I've never been a fan of the pockmarked look, but I admire the execution.
    vfxartevil_genius_180Mustang13Camaro68scifieric
    I love your work on this. In fact, there are some things I prefer about this version over the larger filming model. Even though it clearly looks "cut up," I think I like the fact that Rick Sternach used an actual saucer underside, rather than the two upper parts that Greg Jein used. Though, I'm sure Jein did that to save time and only have to make one mold.
    vfxartscifieric
    edited September 2023 #39
    Some nacelle connection plate updates. There are things I like about what Greg did, but some of the changes were definitely not for the better (that bridge is a disaster), and in a couple of spots he'd have been better off scratch-building, given time, inst of going with up-scaled kits that he could get/swap in. Ah hindsight you wee beastie... ;-)

wrn0j36x9k9q.jpg
    Post edited by vfxart on
    StarCruiserMadKoiFishLizzy777evil_genius_180scifiericwibble
    vfxart wrote: »
    Some nacelle connection plate updates. There are things I like about what Greg did, but some of the changes were definitely not for the better (that bridge is a disaster), and in a couple of spots he'd have been better off scratch-building, given time, inst of going with up-scaled kits that he could get/swap in. Ah hindsight you wee beastie... ;-)

Indeed. But, he always had such a short amount of time to work on those models. I'm sure he had to make a lot of quick decisions. As it was, The Battle wound up way later in the first season airing order than was originally intended due to him having to build the model. The man truly was a miracle worker.
    scifieric
    A shape here, a shape there... my eyes are telling me, enough shapes for today. Wanted to tackle a bit more, but the placeholders for the new bits were enough, yow... solving their final cuts and insets and... can wait a day.

qhrv2776d79l.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerPheylantrekkiBolianAdmiralscifiericwibble

Last proportion pass in a few spots. Now I have to shape some pieces to match the rounding off/sanding that was done to get some pieces to sit against each other more cleanly. Some will get their cuts and overall shaping then too. Should be done with the model in a few days. Then a UV pass and decals, followed by her elusive paint job. Afrimustellow we'll call it. With blueywhite and probably purple and rust and... at least no space algae for this one. I have the decal sources at least, that will help build the files.

3ssx5vzt7r24.jpg

StarCruisertrekkievil_genius_180BolianAdmiralLizzy777scifiericwibble
    Muscle pull slowed things down today. One more piece to build, a few panels to cut and pieces to final with their panels and insets.

dpw76y7od9g3.jpg
    pk4fwvlz3k5w.jpg
    evil_genius_180backsteptStarCruiserLizzy777scifiericwibble
    Ouch! I hope you feel better soon. The model looks great.
    vfxartscifieric
    Still a day or so of modeling, but the main volumes are in. Panels to cut, space bondo to apply, and 'sanding' to do yet. Going to get UV started this afternoon to see what else needs work before I leave modeling behind.

8vz9jo4ft4m5.jpg
    ura3ot6svs0m.jpg
    arydlqq5bdfz.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777scifiericMustang13Camaro68Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralpubliusrwibblesrspicer
    And yes there is a 'one day...' plan for it, but I have to look into the room more carefully, and two other projects are on the list before it...

ekahtjkt3vjm.jpg
    lennier1evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777scifiericStarCruiserBolianAdmiralwibblesrspicer
    First color shot landed me close. Now for a couple of days of paint and material refinement, decals, and surface properties. With any luck. the last source for the decals will arrive today or tomorrow.

dkngs71rbrto.jpg

evil_genius_180scifiericLizzy777Mustang13Camaro68StarCruiserashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratorywibblePreViz
    Yep, those look like the colors they used. In fact, that render almost looks like a plastic model.
    scifiericvfxart
    Merrily we roll along...

k9nnu9b61zad.jpg

StarCruiserevil_genius_180ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777wibble
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    edited October 2023 #50
    It’s models like this that really make me appreciate what a beautiful ship the Constellation-Class is. Well done.
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    vfxartevil_genius_180
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    You added the AMT/ERTL tile lines. Great detail.
    publiusrvfxart
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    You added the AMT/ERTL tile lines. Great detail.

It's on the model ;-) All of the parts that need it will have it, 'sanded' as needed to match the filming mini etc. Am widening the major ring and radiating lines to get the proportions correct and need to thin down all of the panel lines, but will be worth it to do so.
    publiusr
    Just about ready for the shelf... I have to get on to the next portfolio piece, but will take a look again in a couple of days. I know I won't be satisfied with the paint job, but have to move along. One or two decals yet to suss (temps in place) and then will wrap her up when I have time to get her into the Ready Room with proper lighting and love.

oqdni2cvfz3f.jpg
    yp1iq6rmt6ln.jpg
    BolianAdmiralwibbleevil_genius_180PreVizStarCruiserMustang13Camaro68Lizzy777seanrWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    Absolutely beautiful.
    vfxart
    Absolutely beautiful.

Thank you...!
    BolianAdmiral
    Splitting time between this and the ESB Hoth scene this week as I wait on reference, so adjusting some material properties and building the ready room vignette pieces today. Tweaked some mats a bit, going to refine a piece of geo as I have some time.

1b613woto1pm.jpg

evil_genius_180StarCruiserBolianAdmiralLizzy777wibblesrspicer
    That's really starting to look like a plastic model. :)
    BolianAdmiral
    That's really starting to look like a plastic model. :)

Vy sank you doktorrr... working on revising the panel cuts (ay yi yi) and some color etc... it's a good time! Next up (no for real) I WILL get the stand and base today, heh, but of course I got the ref that I was waiting on so no promises as to tomorrow!!! Heh.

uow4pu9o9t24.jpg
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777trekkiwibblesrspicer
    Man, you REALLY nailed the look of the AMT model’s hull paneling…
    vfxartevil_genius_180
    Man, you REALLY nailed the look of the AMT model’s hull paneling…

Thanks! Hit that again today. If you've spent time looking at it, you know how frustrating it is... it's deceptively sharp at the edges, but is slightly distorted by the texture they added, which is a two-parter that looks like bad CG texture! A grain and a directional 'brush stroke' kinda thing. It's diving me nuts. A friend suggested I model it since I've got it all mapped out... ah, that'd be a No. ;-)
    BolianAdmiral