Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Question about making Star Trek Youtube videos

Paul MoechnerPaul Moechner541 Posts: 126Member
I recently created a youtube channel. So far I only have one video that is the first in a video series that is basically a slide show of memes I stole from the internet. But in the long run, my channel is going to have more than just meme content on it. It's also going to have 3D modeling/animation content on it.

For example, I documented the 91 days I spent going through Scifieric's youtube tutorial as an exercise to develop my blender skills. And I'm now in the process of creating a video that will show all the screenshots and renders I took during those 91 days so it'll be a 'progress video'. I'm planning on creating a second video that might end up being a 'video series' where I'll be building the 1701 TOS Enterprise again from scratch, but this time using all the skills I developed going through it the first time.

But for the first video, showing my 91 days worth of progress in a slide show/music playing in the background format, I'm thinking about what kind of music to put in there.

...and I was curious if there's any rules against me playing some kind of star trek theme song instead of some kind of 'creative commons' sound track. The goal is to build up enough subscribers for this youtube channel to be a small income source as I am a US immigrant living in Mexico while working as a volunteer for a space project.

I'm already doing my own online research on this. But since there's a bunch of Star Trek fans who are youtubers on this forum, i thought it would be a good idea to ask here.
Post edited by Paul Moechner on
scifieric
Tagged:

• count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    You might get a demonetization warning and make no money off ads if you use a licensed soundtrack like the star trek ones. But that's about it.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • Paul MoechnerPaul Moechner541 Posts: 126Member
    ok, thanks! I'll stick to a creative commons soundtrack then.
    scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Good idea, sticking with creative commons. I've heard time and again of videos being pulled by YouTube due to a copyright claim for music. It's my understanding that YouTube won't even investigate the claim, they'll just pull the video and it's hard to win an appeal because Google doesn't want to deal with the hassle of a lawsuit.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I think technically you can use 30 seconds of music, but I would error on the side of caution and use the Creative Commons Soundtrack. Smart move.
    Paul Moechner