Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNCC-1701, no bloody A,B,C or D (my progress so far)

13»

• Paul MoechnerPaul Moechner257 Posts: 62Member
    edited November 24 #62
    Ok, according to wikipedia, the 1701 Enterprise is 288.6 metres (947 ft) long and 127.1 metres (417 ft) wide. If I scaled the model correctly, the 6 foot blue object I put on top of the saucer in this render shows what a 6 foot tall human being looks like in scale to the 1701 Enterprise.

Edit: I didn't scale this ship correctly due to some rookie mistakes I made and due to not even considering height. According to Wikipedia this ship is also 72.6 metres (238 ft) tall. I redid the whole scaling and either I don't understand what I did wrong(if I did anything wrong) but the ship's height is short by 3.39 meters, and the ship's length is short by 1.28 meters. Since this is a fictional starship, I took some creative license by grabbing the warp engines and pulling them back by 1.28 meters to fix the ship-length problem. But I have no idea how to fix the ship's height issue of 3.39 meters without messing up the overall look/feel of the ship so I left that alone. I then created a new object, a cylinder that is exactly 6 feet tall and put it on top of the saucer to show the scale of a 6ft human compaired to the rest of the ship.

Below is my NEW render after redoing my scaling:
    xi0ys93g7z3b.png

and here is the image showing what I'm talking about regarding the ship being too short by 3.39 meters after scaling up everything so that the ship is exactly 127.1 meters wide:
    f7e9z8tj9fo0.jpg

Post edited by Paul Moechner on
    Rory1707StarCruiserscifiericLizzy777
    edited November 25 #63
    Day 69 nice:

Well this whole "scaling" thing turned into a whole adventure in and of itself and I made some interesting discoveries about the world of star trek and the starships that are in it.

After I went through the whole learning process of learning to scale my 3D model of the 1701 Enterprise up to the scale shown in wikipedia, which interestingly enough also is the same scale measurements of the starfleet technical manual I've been referencing, I figured out pretty quickly that this "cannon scale" is TOO SMALL compaired to the scale of the Enterprise I grew up watching on TV. The bridge would be too small using the 'cannon scale', the shuttle bay is too small, etc.

So as an experiment, I went back to a previous save in my blender files of this 3D modeling exercise, where I didn't scale it up to cannon yet.

I then used the starfleet technical manual along with paint to help me figure out just how wide the bridge section really is from hull to hull and this is what I came up with:
    txkf5ieyjebb.jpg

But even then, 16.8 meters wasn't big enough so after screwing up and screwing around I came up with the figure 20.8 meters.

I then created a measuring tool in blender, which is just a cube that I stretched out to exactly 20.8 meters wide, and then I scaled up the ENTIRE ship, until the bridge section fits 20.8 meters. I chose to use this picture of the bridge because it was scaled correctly around the average size of human beings and fits what I saw on TV of the bridge.

...and this is when something REALLY INTERESTING happened!

EVERYthing is now to correct scale, according to a six foot tall person! Below are images of an exactly 6 foot tall cylinder, simulating a human being(1.8288 meters tall) compared to certain parts of the ship using this "new scale":

ot7fs00mckn3.png
    2iut13cak9ao.png
    hez89fu2rtg5.png
    qdry059lk79e.png

I'm officially calling this new scale the "Paul Scale" hahaha

And yes, I already understand that the real truth is that the scale of the ship is as big or as small as the plot requires(a statement I found while googling this subject) and I agree, but if you were to
    1. correctly scale the bridge around a 6 foot tall human being
    2. scale the rest of the ship around the bridge specifically

The result is what I now call the Paul scale.

According to blender, these are the dimensions for the "Paul Scale" lol:

Length(front to back): 457 meters(1499.34 feet)
    6hhbp7g5da8a.jpg

Width(left to right): 202 meters(662.73 feet)
    1jdwk8pbttcu.jpg

Height(top to bottom): 110 meters(360.892 feet)
    s5c06hsa03uz.jpg

Rory1707StarCruisercaveat_imperatorevil_genius_180scifiericLizzy777publiusr
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser337 Posts: 14Member
    No, no, no - Starfleet uses TARDIS tech (they just don't brag about it).
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    No, no, no - Starfleet uses TARDIS tech (they just don't brag about it).

rofl
    scifieric
    edited November 25 #66
    Day 70:

here's some pics of me creating rooms inside the ship behind the windows. each room started off as a cube that was 2 meters x 2 meters x 2 meters. As per scifieric's tutorial, I delete the face on one side of the cube and then start making a room behind the windows. and stretching verts to make the cubes conform to the outer hull and to create long or short rooms to cover 1 or more windows.

This results in each room being exactly 2 meters from floor to ceiling. As you can see in these pics, applying the "Paul Scale" to the ship's overall size, there is exactly enough room to fit in the starship's superstructure(ship's frame), turbo-lift shafts, jefferies tubes, power conduits(the famous EPS grids in star trek), etc.

uz1b1igrg6s3.jpg
    nhcvv9jv1g5s.jpg
    And here are my cylinders that I used to simulate a 6 foot tall human. Each cylinder is 0.5 meters(1.64042 feet) thick and 6 feet tall.
    6k7md1ytpau6.jpg
    vh6w6xfc9xgq.png

Rory1707evil_genius_180StarCruiserscifiericcaveat_imperatorLizzy777
    Day 70 continued:

Today I finished making rooms and lighting within the rooms behind the windows throughout the whole ship. I combined some things that scifieric taught in his tutorial(5 sided cubes and using planes as lighting sources) with something that folks at AsteronX taught me in regards to lighting the inside of a ship. The other technique I combined is that I took the planes that I assigned emission materials to and created patterns. I also created partial UV spheres and assigned emmision materials to them and had physical 5-sided cubes for simulating rooms behind some windows and other groups of windows I had lit up by UV spheres and then I created dividers out of other planes. This created a really cool illusion of the lights of the ship lighting up differently depending on what angle you are looking at the ship.

6zbipm93xlln.jpg
    zoul3tkegd02.jpg

evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerscifiericcaveat_imperatorLizzy777
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972241 Posts: 1,139Member
    She's looking good.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    edited November 26 #69
    Day 71:

After all the work I did yesterday, creating internal rooms, internal lighting mixed with things that gave the illusion of internal rooms and lighting, today, I completely re-did EVERYTHING after I got an idea on how to make it all better by more heavily utilizing scifieric's technique of manipulating 5 sided cubes and using planes with emissions to simulate internal lighting and this is what I came up with.

...NOW she looks more like the flying building that she is!

sak1uey7ez23.jpg
    wg5an2uq6xrd.jpg

the resulting renders:
    o136xaen1dna.png
    2yjhkqlfv75q.png
    s753l1pjn6rc.png
    7gwvpsi7q19i.png
    7nqur9i8oaby.png
    71bq4ey7vq56.png

notice how the lighting of the windows changes, depending on what angle that you are looking at it...just like a real life sky scraper in a city at night! :)

edit: the only issue I see at the moment is that if you look closely enough, you can actually see the reflection of the long, stretched out planes I have in the world background that give the lighting around the starship. Not sure how to deal with that but I won't be using those planes for lighting I don't think when I get to the point in my skill building where I can create HDRI's that give off their own light.
    caveat_imperatorLizzy777evil_genius_180xiaorobearStarshipashleytingerStarCruiser
  • xiaorobearxiaorobear467 Posts: 145Member
    Nice work, those room interior definitely make a big difference. Even better in motion I bet!
    Paul Moechner
    edited November 27 #71
    Day 72. Took a day off from lessons and played around with the lighting. Was able to eliminate the foggyness of the windows in the saucer section by using a darker material. somehow I accidentally used a lighter material for the saucer section rooms vs the rooms in the rest of the ship.

Then I started to play around with the world lighting to see what happens if the light only came from one side and at an angle and WOW

m3ayc8tnbe3g.png
    1pmwj2sqb0eg.png

evil_genius_180Starshipscifiericashleytingercaveat_imperatorStarCruiser
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1802203 Posts: 10,085Member
    Looking great. I especially like that dark render, it makes the glows really pop.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
  • StarshipStarship371 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,911Member
    Good work all around!
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    As per lesson 36 of scifieric's tutorial, I added the final details of the back end of the engineering section. Went ahead and added the 3 bulbs inside the big rear light and it made it look a lot better:

3jkqunbsmvaz.png
    scifiericRory1707ashleytingerevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorStarCruiser
  • scifiericscifieric1041 Posts: 1,407Member
    As per lesson 36 of scifieric's tutorial, I added the final details of the back end of the engineering section. Went ahead and added the 3 bulbs inside the big rear light and it made it look a lot better:

Thank you again for the mention of my tutorial! That's very kind of you.

You are doing a magnificent job!
    Paul MoechnerTallguy
    scifieric wrote: »

Thank you again for the mention of my tutorial! That's very kind of you.

You are doing a magnificent job!

Thanks! :)
    scifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr397 Posts: 1,547Member
    I love that “Paul Scale.”

The largest incarnation of the original Enterprise was from TAS. The 3/4 view seemed to have a longer secondary hull and bigger nacelles. That might be a good next project.
    Paul Moechner