Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG Colonial Fleet

123457

Posts

  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    Well, you can always PM me with any dimensions or extra info you think i need!
    scifieric
  • Alan EAlan E226 Posts: 124Member
    If you want to build a Battlestar, total different ball game changer. You will fail, more times than you succeed. Trust me I know.
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    Alan E wrote: »
    If you want to build a Battlestar, total different ball game changer. You will fail, more times than you succeed. Trust me I know.

    Well, you can see my answer above, that's all I'll say about it.
    scifieric
  • Alan EAlan E226 Posts: 124Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Alan E wrote: »
    If you want to build a Battlestar, total different ball game changer. You will fail, more times than you succeed. Trust me I know.







    no worries...good luck and show me the money...
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    Alan E wrote: »
    japetus wrote: »
    Alan E wrote: »
    If you want to build a Battlestar, total different ball game changer. You will fail, more times than you succeed. Trust me I know.







    no worries...good luck and show me the money...

    ....so are you actually offering help or just dangling out false promises and hope?

    I haven't even decided whether to do it or not, it is a massive undertaking obviously, and I don't know it my poor heart can take it lol. At least I have many greebles made from the other ships as a start. Anyway, as I said, you can PM me with more information if you so choose. Let's not clog up this thread anymore.
  • Alan EAlan E226 Posts: 124Member
    Thats why you will never be able to build... a Battlestar.....Your heart is not in it...and you dont have the disipline to create one. But I always believed you would.
  • Alan EAlan E226 Posts: 124Member
    Alan E wrote: »
    Thats why you will never be able to build... a Battlestar.....Your heart is not in it...and you dont have the disipline to create one. But I always believed you would.

    Japteus..

    I aploigise for the post above. It was uncalled for, out of line, and really stupid too say something like that. Your a brilliant modeller, and an exceptionally good texture artist. I feel so stupid. I really do apologise.

    Sorry Mate.

  • Alan EAlan E226 Posts: 124Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Well, you can always PM me with any dimensions or extra info you think i need!

    No Need to pm..


    Normally, In 3dsmax, If I want to build a battlestar, I'll set the unit's, to metres to start with, instead of generic's by default. I set undo, in prefereces too 999...If i need to go back 100 times...I then build the outer bulk in metres...for scale. Front of the ship, the middle and the engines. Battlestar Atlantia for example is 1925 metres long....Height and width is up to the builder or director specs.. I'll then set units back to genric. Once the the entire frame of the ship is complete and is one single box moddled poly...apart from the landing bays which are done seperatley. Then the paneling and plating has to worked out and planned carefully so all dimesions match over the entire ship. So i render in stencil, all angle shots, print these out on paper as stencil, and draw the plating buy hand. This saves so much time. I can sit their in the afternoon, watching penrith panthers, smash the rabbitohs...and come up with all the plating concepts( AUSTRALIAN NRL). Try it...saves a lot of time when building a unique battlestar.

    The front of the battlestar is the most crucial part of the build and the hardest part, especially from scratch. Battlestar Aries was quite simple, because it was basiclly squarish and kinda easy, where as battlestar Pegasus is designed in a certain way with multiple curves over the top axis to the front, multiple curves from horizontal and the side verticals axis. Takes quite a bit of work to get it right, gets really really frustrating sometimes. Once all my panels are drawn on the ship. I select polygon, insert value is 0.7 and then i extrude the panels, 1.5 in height...in genric values. However...this will depend on the individual's build. This may suit me and my setup and may not suit others.

    The biggest most important part of the entire build....the entire build.....is smoothing. No.. turbosmooth...no mesh smooth.....Keep the model as simple as possible, and chamfer all your edges....everything...everything with out any tearing in the mesh, and where it does, just remove the edges in the corners. When you light you scene correctly, the light will bounce beautifully from those chamfer edges and totally transform the look.




  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    Got the Celestra mostly done, for my purposes, wasn't stressing too much about it, just filling out the fleet some more. It's a highly modified Stellar Mining ship. Didn't know if I would ever get around to it, so it's nice to check it off my list!! v00ye6tl85gx.jpg
    bh7gonv0uyyq.jpg
    elrox8thk0m9.jpg
    9k7e7a22b8ef.jpg
    9aviivb0wde0.jpg
    rojrenStarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777Martocticvscaveat_imperatorStarriggerwibblexiaorobearsrspicerand 3 others.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann473 Posts: 1,180Member
    Oh I like that one a lot!
    scifieric
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    Was tired of lame gas planet pictures and textures, so decided to try simming my own gas planet, many tests later, i'm pretty happy with this! Woxk5294bacqlq.png
    srdya3fm5r60.gif
    StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorSCE2AuxStarriggersrspicerscifiericStarshipPaul Moechnerwolfman
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux394 Posts: 83Member
    As someone who is also tired of trying to make decent gas giant texture maps, I would be very interested in learning how you came up with that!
    japetusscifieric
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    As someone who is also tired of trying to make decent gas giant texture maps, I would be very interested in learning how you came up with that!

    Yeah will share how I did it, nothing too groundbreaking really, hardest part is getting good enough quality without crashing the sim haha
    scifieric
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    Further planet refinement, keep figuring out how to do things with it....

    v0x85ye501oq.jpg
    uato8rsk73ud.jpg
    caveat_imperatorStarCruiserLizzy777wolfman
  • StarshipStarship371 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,911Member
    edited October 18 #196
    japetus wrote: »
    Got the Celestra mostly done, for my purposes, wasn't stressing too much about it, just filling out the fleet some more. It's a highly modified Stellar Mining ship. Didn't know if I would ever get around to it, so it's nice to check it off my list!! v00ye6tl85gx.jpg

    9k7e7a22b8ef.jpg

    So beautifull!!! 👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Oh, I´ll be waiting that little tut about gas planets. I made a few lame gas planet pictures and textures, rings included, in the past. Not the most beautifull meshes of mine I must say. :s :p ;)

    Post edited by Starship on
    japetus
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    Starship wrote: »
    japetus wrote: »
    Got the Celestra mostly done, for my purposes, wasn't stressing too much about it, just filling out the fleet some more. It's a highly modified Stellar Mining ship. Didn't know if I would ever get around to it, so it's nice to check it off my list!! v00ye6tl85gx.jpg

    9k7e7a22b8ef.jpg

    So beautifull!!! 👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Oh, I´ll be waiting that little tut about gas planets. I made a few lame gas planet pictures and textures, rings included, in the past. Not the most beautifull meshes of mine I must say. :s :p ;)

    Thanks, of course after I made that image I started over with all the things I had learned, and discovered some more useful settings like the ability to have the UVW coordinates follow the gas simulation so you can (according to the docs at least) replace the texture of the planet w/o resimming...so trying that out!
    Starship
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    So I made a Viper too....how could I not? Mostly done I think. Might detail things out a bit, but it's nice to have an old school one. I made a reboot version quite a while ago. Fun to revisit a similar model again.

    6hsv7w53bsx0.jpg
    ue760oaoc623.jpg
    t38twd5k43bc.jpg

    xiaorobearwibblePaul MoechnerStarCruiserLizzy777SCE2Auxscifiericcaveat_imperatorsrspicerLeoBerlin
  • xiaorobearxiaorobear475 Posts: 146Member
    Nailed it, as usual!
    japetusscifieric
  • vfxartvfxart377 PNWPosts: 42Member
    This thread's been a blast to keep up with, but I keep forgetting to ask, so cripes, finally- what are your base layers in Painter for the looks that match the filming models? Any hints or starting notes? Got a few to get to myself, and dialing that in has been fussier than I want. Thanks...
    scifieric
  • Paul MoechnerPaul Moechner299 Posts: 70Member
    japetus wrote: »
    So I made a Viper too....how could I not? Mostly done I think. Might detail things out a bit, but it's nice to have an old school one. I made a reboot version quite a while ago. Fun to revisit a similar model again.

    6hsv7w53bsx0.jpg
    ue760oaoc623.jpg
    t38twd5k43bc.jpg

    awesome!
    scifieric
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    vfxart wrote: »
    This thread's been a blast to keep up with, but I keep forgetting to ask, so cripes, finally- what are your base layers in Painter for the looks that match the filming models? Any hints or starting notes? Got a few to get to myself, and dialing that in has been fussier than I want. Thanks...

    Hey vfxart, it's not too complicated. I usually start with just a base off white layer with about .5 roughness and start adding grunge from there. Then for the grunge I use various smart masks like Dirt Cavities, Dust Plastic and Edge Damage. I also got a Leaks smart mask from the substance site years ago. It's a bit buggy but does the job well enough. Would be nice if they incorporated one. I think that one helps a lot to sale the scale model look. Then I just tweak those as needed, erasing areas, trying out maybe a few other masks. I also have a roughness only layer that just has a fine fractal noise, that breaks up the perfectness a bit, and sometimes depending on the ship, a roughness only panel layer which is just a series of random square tiles added and subtracted together.
    Guerrillavfxartscifieric
  • vfxartvfxart377 PNWPosts: 42Member
    Thank you for the above. Funny about what you mention, it's exactly what I need to hit today on a project (roughness break-up of the spec). Then sorting out how it will render in different apps, wahoo. I use some of the same, though not much with smart masks and such (I don't tend to bake curvature etc... I should probably start down that road). Hardest is being sure I'm dialing in a paint look that still scales as 'real surface'. Sadly no longer have the access to the $150k scanners or I'd just put paint samples on them and have it nailed. Also, would love to get so many models on a turntable to read their responses to light, esp from G. Have seen plenty of SW and they are very similar.

    Oh! Ha I almost forgot- (evil grin) Please take out the turbines/blades in the engines, don't forget about the treads inside the engine covers, and the protective tubing in the engine exhaust makes a huge difference, and do you know the source of the 'ladder' in the eng detail? It's a commonly available kit again. ;-) You probably sorted it out but I wasn't sure from the angles. ok, ending evilness and my Viper quirks. Great Viper, as with the rest of the fleet; I need to hit mine again (it's on here somewhere) and get it more shape accurate. Thanks for that inspiration and again for the response above. Back to it!


    japetus wrote: »
    vfxart wrote: »
    This thread's been a blast to keep up with, but I keep forgetting to ask, so cripes, finally- what are your base layers in Painter for the looks that match the filming models? Any hints or starting notes? Got a few to get to myself, and dialing that in has been fussier than I want. Thanks...

    Hey vfxart, it's not too complicated.

  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    vfxart wrote: »
    Thank you for the above. Funny about what you mention, it's exactly what I need to hit today on a project (roughness break-up of the spec). Then sorting out how it will render in different apps, wahoo. I use some of the same, though not much with smart masks and such (I don't tend to bake curvature etc... I should probably start down that road). Hardest is being sure I'm dialing in a paint look that still scales as 'real surface'. Sadly no longer have the access to the $150k scanners or I'd just put paint samples on them and have it nailed. Also, would love to get so many models on a turntable to read their responses to light, esp from G. Have seen plenty of SW and they are very similar.

    Oh! Ha I almost forgot- (evil grin) Please take out the turbines/blades in the engines, don't forget about the treads inside the engine covers, and the protective tubing in the engine exhaust makes a huge difference, and do you know the source of the 'ladder' in the eng detail? It's a commonly available kit again. ;-) You probably sorted it out but I wasn't sure from the angles. ok, ending evilness and my Viper quirks. Great Viper, as with the rest of the fleet; I need to hit mine again (it's on here somewhere) and get it more shape accurate. Thanks for that inspiration and again for the response above. Back to it!


    japetus wrote: »
    vfxart wrote: »
    This thread's been a blast to keep up with, but I keep forgetting to ask, so cripes, finally- what are your base layers in Painter for the looks that match the filming models? Any hints or starting notes? Got a few to get to myself, and dialing that in has been fussier than I want. Thanks...

    Hey vfxart, it's not too complicated.

    Ah yeah I should take out the fans. It bothers me. Nothing is there though, haha. Not sure what you mean by the treads in the engine covers?
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    The ribs around the engine come from a Hasegawa German Leopold set, i suppose i should add the little squares on the sides and not have just ribs all the way around, including the empty area in the middle. Though most scale modelers seem to ignore all that. qfoyj65cana0.jpg
    scifiericStarCruiser
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    Vfxart, a bit closer I hope now :-D

    vhxv9dd72d43.jpg
    8hx2v013cnlm.jpg
    xiaorobearSCE2AuxscifiericStarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777wibblesrspicer
  • vfxartvfxart377 PNWPosts: 42Member
    Woohoo! heh. I agree, and I didn't ignore the Leo exhaust ribs in mine, too important imo. The inner surfaces of the intakes have small detail greebles on them; they can be tricky to spot. I'll dig through my nas to see if I can dig something up later ;-)
    scifiericjapetus
  • scifiericscifieric1046 Posts: 1,413Member
    Man, that is pretty. The viper is one of my all-time favorite ships!
    japetus
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    vfxart wrote: »
    Woohoo! heh. I agree, and I didn't ignore the Leo exhaust ribs in mine, too important imo. The inner surfaces of the intakes have small detail greebles on them; they can be tricky to spot. I'll dig through my nas to see if I can dig something up later ;-)

    Oh really, I never saw them. Would love some photos if you have them!
  • vfxartvfxart377 PNWPosts: 42Member
    Sry had to resort to a quick google grab for now, I'm knee deep in it today and then will likely go *thud* and space out on this. I'll dig in the nas when I can think straight, but for now... these are from the 8ball V thru Profiles. Their placement is a bit irregular, but you can pick up on them.

    sqap30wvu1x3.png

    StarCruiserscifieric
  • japetusjapetus2588 SeattlePosts: 1,339Member
    oo0aajog28w7.jpg
    Oh you're talking about inside of here? Wow yeah never noticed. Nor saw anyone mention them on the model building reference. Good find! Winser what they are.
    scifieric
Sign In or Register to comment.