Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSC Dale

komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
edited October 2019 in Finished Work #1
This is the USS Dale a ship originally design in 1990. This was a very old design that wasn’t specific to Star Trek at the time.

I did the model in 3D with 3Dsmax in around 36 hours or so.

I did a wallpaper with the USS Potemkin, nothing fancy.

073ttio02tl1.jpg

Wallpaper and other views on my site
Post edited by Guerrilla on
Lizzy777evil_genius_180
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Both ships look great and I like the setup. I really like how that back light is hitting the specular maps on the Dale. The only thing I'd really suggest is maybe make those glowy bits pop a bit more. Right now, they don't look like they're glowing all that much. But, otherwise, it's a really nice image.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Thanks.

The glow effect of Mental Ray is a mystery sometimes. Mental Ray has been abandon for 3dmax 2020. You have to rely on the Physical Material and the emission. Not sure what I am gonna do for the software. If I go to 2018 to 2020 or I wait. I saw what they did in 2020 and I am only interested in the chamfer.
    evil_genius_180
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, sometimes it's better to skip a version to see if the next version is more to your liking, especially with expensive software.
    komaro
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    komaro wrote: »
    Thanks.

The glow effect of Mental Ray is a mystery sometimes. Mental Ray has been abandon for 3dmax 2020. You have to rely on the Physical Material and the emission. Not sure what I am gonna do for the software. If I go to 2018 to 2020 or I wait. I saw what they did in 2020 and I am only interested in the chamfer.

You should check out the Arnold and ART Renderer for 3ds Max. They are built in and are quite good modern render engines. If you're really into Mental Ray then you may take to Arnold. Personally I prefer ART as it's a brute-force unbiased renderer.

komaro
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift