Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Greetings!

Welcome to the fancy new Scifi-Meshes.com! You old username and password should work. If not, get in touch with staff either here, on Facebook or on Discord.

For a quick summary on what's new, check out this thread.
You should also check out the Community Guidelines here.
You can check out most recent posts here or by clicking the handy links on the top menu or the sidebar.

You can dismiss this message by clicking the little X in the top right corner.

3DNew Star Trek Star Fleet Ship

acidstormacidstorm177 Posts: 115Member
edited May 16 in Work in Progress #1
I came up with this design years ago. I haven't modeled in a long time. I got the itch to have a go at this one. It's not your typical design. I wanted to get away from the typical saucer shape and thin nacelle pylons, but have at the same time be instantly recognizable as a Star Fleet ship.

Not even sure where to start on this. I fleshed out the hull and parts where the impulse engines would go and the deflector dish, but beyond that it's just a very basic idea at this point.
4xsre05rf0k5.png
kxd8l4oc80sm.png
bx6i0puwz8eb.png
pqp4orx5wq5b.png
Post edited by acidstorm on
Lizzy777
  • Like - Lizzy777 on May 16, 2019.

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann286 Posts: 1,041Member
    Innnnnnnnnteresting shape. I'm digging the fluidity of it, though the squareness of the engine section fights that fluidity a bit. I'd give it a few more curves, think of a wind tunnel, water tracing the contours, etc...
  • acidstormacidstorm177 Posts: 115Member
    Innnnnnnnnteresting shape. I'm digging the fluidity of it, though the squareness of the engine section fights that fluidity a bit. I'd give it a few more curves, think of a wind tunnel, water tracing the contours, etc...

Yeah, The cargo area is bothersome. It has a very organic shape to it until the engine section. That part started out as a box and I basically went crazy with tessellation to round everything out and see what would happen. I may have very well backed myself into a corner doing that. I'll have to get the file up and running to see though. It's been years since I opened this model up.
    I really like that second angle, though, it's very retro mod, all curves. I think that's the direction to go into. Aerodynamic even when it doesn't need to be, elongated... almost lava lamp-esque.
    I really like that second angle, though, it's very retro mod, all curves. I think that's the direction to go into. Aerodynamic even when it doesn't need to be, elongated... almost lava lamp-esque.

I agree. It has a really cool profile from the front. The nacelles seem a bit large as well, but I guess if I extended the engine hull longer and rounded it out more they would probably be just about right.
    Oh, I definitely want to play around with this
    I swear this didn't take four hours, but here are the two good renders of what I was thinking. Drawing more inspiration from luxury cars and yachts for the curves. I also think the shuttlebay will be a more unique design.

tumblr_prmk4yjcP81u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    I swear this didn't take four hours, but here are the two good renders of what I was thinking. Drawing more inspiration from luxury cars and yachts for the curves. I also think the shuttlebay will be a more unique design.

tumblr_prmk4yjcP81u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

That looks pretty cool. I may have to redo some tutorials to get familiar with 3DS Max again before I botch this model up! It's been years since I have used it.