Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• ashleytingerashleytinger2061 Central OhioPosts: 1,262Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Yeah, there are a lot of... questionable decisions regarding this bridge design, but I like it, in a bizarre way, even though (like the exterior of the ship) it was clearly made cheap and I wish it were different.

I've tweaked all the materials, I believe they're accurate now but feel free to correct me, the lighting of the damaged bridge makes it very hard to notice the colors. I've also added the black divisions between the graphics in the three square monitors above the aft stations. Just as in the real set, they're almost impossible to see. :p

c1_02_by_rekkert-dbv2r5c.png

I really like the colors and textures you chose. Other than being a bit dark lighting-wise, she looks good. Actually it reminds me a lot of the lighting for the Enterprise and Excelsior in Undiscovered Country.

Yeah it's a very simple, quick and dirty design for a bridge. It looks good on screen, but like the TNG bridge it's not very practical. The Captain can't just swivel in a chair and look at the monitors to see what's going on which was the whole point of the TOS and TMP bridges. But if you're on a budget only having to build a bridge that's only 3 major stations in the back and two in front makes it cheaper to build and cheaper to man. ;)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann677 Posts: 1,325Member
    Maybe there are duplicates of the three main overheads hanging over the main viewer or something, so the captain can see them when he's facing forward.
    Maybe there are duplicates of the three main overheads hanging over the main viewer or something, so the captain can see them when he's facing forward.

Which is a good idea, but when you look at the blueprints, there's just two static status displays, several smaller alert displays and the main viewscreen. At least on the Ent-C's bridge. They added stations here and there over the years but nothing like what you're thinking of.

It is a good idea, don't get me wrong, just not how they designed it.
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! :)

@ashleytinger: Thank you! Yeah it's as basic as Trek bridges can go, that's partially why I love it, even if I think it's too small for an Ambassador. As for the lighting, I'm using just the Zodiac ceiling piece by now, it'll be completely redone.

@BlueNeumann: Pretty much what ashleytinger said, I want to keep it as accurate as possible to the real deal, even if it's unpractical as hell as a real design. :p

I've worked on the keyboards for the aft consoles. These are interesting because they remained unchanged from when the set was the Hathaway bridge, and that bridge was designed following the style of those in The Voyage Home. They were very different to all the latter stuff while still retaining some elements (like those circular graphics). The white borders were illuminated for example, while on latter stuff they weren't.

c5_01_by_rekkert-dbv8kem.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! :)

@ashleytinger: Thank you! Yeah it's as basic as Trek bridges can go, that's partially why I love it, even if I think it's too small for an Ambassador. As for the lighting, I'm using just the Zodiac ceiling piece by now, it'll be completely redone.

@BlueNeumann: Pretty much what ashleytinger said, I want to keep it as accurate as possible to the real deal, even if it's unpractical as hell as a real design. :p

I've worked on the keyboards for the aft consoles. These are interesting because they remained unchanged from when the set was the Hathaway bridge, and that bridge was designed following the style of those in The Voyage Home. They were very different to all the latter stuff while still retaining some elements (like those circular graphics). The white borders were illuminated for example, while on latter stuff they weren't.

c5_01_by_rekkert-dbv8kem.png

Never noticed that before. Good eye!
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Me neither! Kinda surprising also, as the s2 Hathaway set consoles would have been made either after or in line with the sets from Star Trek 5 (produced in 1988-89, released '89) -- which stands to reason since the display LCARS were all of similar coloration to that bridge, rather than from the end of Voyage Home (lots more white, purples, etc)...
    Yeah, they are certainly weird. The side panels as well use a design that was only used on the Voyage Home Enterprise-A, and yet these ones were specifically designed for the Ent-C, so there's a type of display that apparently fell out of use only to then be reused 50 years latter... The more you look at the details, the more of a mismatch this bridge seems to be.

I've done a few more displays, but speaking of weird...

c5_02_by_rekkert-dbvct19.png
    c5_03_by_rekkert-dbvct20.png

Ironically, it does look good from the Captain's point of view...

c5_04_by_rekkert-dbvct2f.png

I see two options going forward with this console. If I go hardcore on the canon, the 'NAV' decal is visible on the episode, and Castillo was found below this console, so they should be always maned stations, as in the Enterprise-A. The problem with that is that you would have two crew members standing in the way of the viewscreen all the time.

However, its position right below the viewscreen makes it ideal for a 'Master Situation' and/or 'Mission Ops' console, not used all the time, but always displaying information. And when needed, crew members can approach and use it for more granular tasks, just like the aft consoles worked on the Enterprise-D. Thoughts? Any third possibility I'm missing?
    Depending on how faithful you want to remain to the original, you could always sink the forward deck height down by a step or two? Other than that, I'd say it'd have to be a Mission Ops console -- there are enough Master Situation style schematics on the rear displays.

Are you intending to keep the (much better looking!) Ent-A helm console, or replace with the anachronistic TWOK style one from the episode complete with ugly greebles? :D
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1184 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,624Member
    However, its position right below the viewscreen makes it ideal for a 'Master Situation' and/or 'Mission Ops' console, not used all the time, but always displaying information. And when needed, crew members can approach and use it for more granular tasks, just like the aft consoles worked on the Enterprise-D. Thoughts? Any third possibility I'm missing?

This option is what I'm thinking, because, as you point out, the astrogator is on this console, so I am thinking it's a primitive version of a form of "master systems monitor" or "self-diagnostic" station for the bridge computer systems, and maybe is only manned/used by people when the ship is receiving software upgrades or some such thing, with people inputting/installing new tech/data into them with those little hand gadgets with blinky lights all over them (like the one in the pic). :p

datalore066.jpg
    Oooo, diagnostic station could be neat! Maybe filled with a bunch of precursor isolinear chips in place of the "seen" astrogator display?
    Adding another step down is certainly too much of a change, I want to keep it as close as the set as possible. Regarding the Ent-A style console, that is the one they used! The Ent-C appeared in season 3 of TNG, so well after Final Frontier was out. You can see the central light of the console in one of the shots, and on another you can see the white stripes they used on the border of the console. It adds even more LCARS styles to the mix! X.X

Yeah, I'll most probably go down the route of the 'seldom used console'...
    That honestly astounds me - the brief view we had of the forward part of the "helm" console looked substantially flatter than the Ent-A version... maybe they added more than just greebles to that part?

Agreed on the white lines though; I just consulted the HD copy of that episode I've got saved - you can even see the outline of the circular monitor window on the astrogator. Good eye! :thumb:
    Yeah the front does look a bit more flat, but I believe it's due to the close camera angle more than anything else. I could be wrong though, you never know with these things!

Anyway, I've made some progress on the forward station. I decided to make it an Emergency Manual Override station. That station was seen in early TNG, so it makes sense that the predecessor to the Enterprise-D has one of these. It's not used regularly unless it's a dire situation and other consoles are destroyed. And surprise, we only saw it being used during a dire situation as the helm!

I've added the Okudagrams to the bottom of the console. I decided to ignore the white stripes seen there because honestly all the different consoles would end up looking completely different if I don't draw the line somewhere, I want to make the look somewhat consistent. Also because of that, I've added some more of that TVH style Okudagram.

c5_05_by_rekkert-dbvlokv.png
    Very nice... I love the astrogator graphics/LCARS.
    I like the extra hint of color you've added to the astrogator lcars, as the other Ent-C displays also had vs their Ent-A counterparts. :)

The added bonus of course, is the fact that you're building up your stockpile of "canon" bridge set elements :D
    @BolianAdmiral: Thank you! :D

@Starscream:Thanks! Yeah, these have a lot more color than the chronologically earlier okudagrams, I'm thinking that I might have to further modify these to add another tone of blue. It's hard to see from the episode but I believe there's a third blue color involved.

I've started work on the front and I'm nearly done with the viewscreen, but in the meantime, I've done the details that go below the aft consoles, and I've also continued work on the overhead graphics, and modified the Captain's chair a bit to make it more accurate.

c5_03_by_rekkert-dbvrto9.png
    c1_03_by_rekkert-dbvrtoy.png
    Just had a look at some screencaps and I'd say you're right - I can definitely make out three -possibly even four- distinct shades of blue, but only two green.
    She's looking amazing!
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972330 Posts: 1,207Member
    Looks amazing. Those LCARS look great.

It's a bit of an odd bridge, but it feels like a proto version of the Galaxy bridge.
    @ashleytinger: Thanks!

@Vortex5972: Thanks! Hahaha, yeah it definitely is!

I've changed the color of almost every piece of Okudagram, now they're a lot more accurate. The second image has the same angle as some of the previous ones, so you can make a direct comparison. Also, I've finished texturing the two TNG style consoles, and added some more pieces here and there.

c5_04_by_rekkert-dbvug37.png
    c1_04_by_rekkert-dbvug2h.png
    I've finished with the viewscreen area, I'm almost done with the modeling. :D

c5_05_by_rekkert-dbvzqm9.png
    I've added all the raised panels and consoles on the front of the bridge.

c5_06_by_rekkert-dbw2lsv.png
    Looks cozy! I like how you applied the non-standard LCARS to the helm console widget panels. The ceiling architecture is a nice solution too, though I'm not a fan of that "TNG ugly" chandelier aesthetic! :lol:

The only problem with all this now is that more and more you make me want to see an "idealised" version, instead of the shoestring budget set...
    Starscream wrote: »
    The ceiling architecture is a nice solution too, though I'm not a fan of that "TNG ugly" chandelier aesthetic! :lol:

I'm assuming he's just kept the Brittain/Zodiac ceiling light fixture as a temporary placeholder (unless that's actually what the 1701-C's ceiling light looked like), until he models the final version.

I'm actually curious to know if that ceiling light and surrounding ceiling architecture had to be moved even more forward than the Zodiac's, to accommodate those aft straight ceiling panels from earlier on, to keep the basic look of the bridge, without drastically altering the overall geometry?
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann677 Posts: 1,325Member
    I never thought of those as chandeliers before, now it's making me imagine a big proper one in a bridge.
    Probably something the average Daimon would have on his Ferengi marauder :D
    @Starscream: Thanks! Yeah, the ceiling is just the Zodiac piece temporarily there as BolianAdmiral noted, I'll definitely replace it though I'm still working out with what (probably the Battle Bridge ceiling piece from "Best of Both Worlds")

@BolianAdmiral: So far I haven't added those ceiling panels (and most likely I won't), and the Zodiac piece is still exactly at the same position it was on that bridge.

@BlueNeumann: No, stop it, you're not making me model that! Ohh, who am I kidding, I'll probably do it just for laughs one day...

I've added more details on the front part of the bridge. All the red labels are in place, as well as most of the wall Okudagrams. I've added some more removable panels of the same design that's already used on the bridge in the empty forward walls, to make it look like a more primitive circuitry access panel. Their inclusion there is completely original as that set wall was never shown in 'Yesterday's Enterprise', any thoughts about their addition?

c5_07_by_rekkert-dbw6fo1.png
    I'd been meaning to ask if you were going to add anything to those unseen areas, though I'd been thinking more of a couple of standup stations like the Tactical console on Stargazer - there for non-regular use, like say AuxSystems or Mission Ops. :) If you're going for more of an equipment access look though, I'd suggest including some primitive isolinear chips, as we saw on the Enterprise-B...

The new forward LCARS displays are looking great! Nice to see you included a reflective viewscreen surface again, too. Looking at the Ops console it even felt for a moment like you could sit down and start playing with the controls - surely the litmus test for any bridge recreation :D
    @Starscream: Thanks! Yeah, the ceiling is just the Zodiac piece temporarily there as BolianAdmiral noted, I'll definitely replace it though I'm still working out with what (probably the Battle Bridge ceiling piece from "Best of Both Worlds")

@BolianAdmiral: So far I haven't added those ceiling panels (and most likely I won't), and the Zodiac piece is still exactly at the same position it was on that bridge.

@BlueNeumann: No, stop it, you're not making me model that! Ohh, who am I kidding, I'll probably do it just for laughs one day...

I've added more details on the front part of the bridge. All the red labels are in place, as well as most of the wall Okudagrams. I've added some more removable panels of the same design that's already used on the bridge in the empty forward walls, to make it look like a more primitive circuitry access panel. Their inclusion there is completely original as that set wall was never shown in 'Yesterday's Enterprise', any thoughts about their addition?

c5_07_by_rekkert-dbw6fo1.png

I think it's a great idea. Works well with what you've already established in the back of the bridge. I never really thought of those as two solid displays as the blueprints (going from memory and it's foggy cause the coffee has only just started flowing) showed several smaller ones, but I think this works much better
    Hmm. Going back to Rekkert's post #563, the plan view suggests you may be right - almost as if there were three TNG-style vertical status panels either side of the viewscreen (though I suspect it was never implemented, as those walls still featured single graphics panels thereafter).

(Albeit IMO) these displays work better as they are though, and fit with what has been established on screen previously.