Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Greetings!
This is the fancy new sidebar. It offers quick access to your profile, messages, threads and so on.
Hit the X in the top right corner to dismiss this message.
Greetings!

Welcome to the fancy new Scifi-Meshes.com! You old username and password should work. If not, get in touch with staff either here, on Facebook or on Discord.

For a quick summary on what's new, check out this thread.
You should also check out the Community Guidelines here.
You can check out most recent posts here or by clicking the handy links on the top menu or the sidebar.

You can dismiss this message by clicking the little X in the top right corner.

A Space Odyssey Clavius Base landing pad

2

Posts

  • TALON_UKTALON_UK0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome looking work, great updates to the Aries, base is looking fab too.
  • TralfazTralfaz66 Posts: 653Member
    It's like you took a still from the movie (although there are a few extra bits). Amazing work.
  • scifiericscifieric190 Posts: 805Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Think I'm almost done...worked on adding more detail around the base, took some creative liberties since their just isn't much reference out there. Also decided (for now) to use my normal maped terrain instead of the super high poly one...it just gives a bit better results in my opinion. I've done some comping in Nuke, trying out some Optical Flares too which I finally got a license for. Will tweak it more tonight i'm sure...
    This is absolutely brilliant work!
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Here's another view, I imporved the background terrain somewhat, worked on my ground textures a bit too...

    base_comp_B01.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1800 Posts: 0Member
    I really like your moon landscape. :)
  • TralfazTralfaz66 Posts: 653Member
    We need to see some animations of the Aries landing at Clavius!! Would be awesome!
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK0 Posts: 0Member
    Stunning.

    :thumb:
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    We need to see some animations of the Aries landing at Clavius!! Would be awesome!

    By your command! Glad I rigged my Aries legs a while ago. Too bad I can't get Corona to work on our render farm...gonna be a slow go rendering it out, but I hope it's worth it!

    Update: Finally got Corona working on the farm...I must have been tired this morning, it was mapped drive path vs network path :rolleyes:
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    A still from the animation...just have to render out my fumefx tonight..if I have more time I might do a couple more angles and cut them together. We'll see! I haven't seen it all in motion yet, I hope my precalced GI turrned out ok...

    base_anim-comp_A01.0225.jpg

    base_anim-comp_A01.0000.jpg
  • mikalamikala0 Posts: 0Member
    "I love it" just don't cut it ....
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Trying out some convolved blur stuff...

    base_anim-comp_B01.0225.jpg
  • -=sAs=--=sAs=-0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work!
    You will make animation from this?
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Popular demand...made an animation! Rendered in 3ds Max with Corona renderer and composited in Nuke. Fluid smoke done with Fumefx. A couple things to fix, the self illumination and refraction passes have some wiggling on them, might have to render a new pass at higher settings to get rid of it. Want to put some music in there too, probably Blue Danube. Almost done though...

    https://youtu.be/38rAMnh-Y0E
  • TralfazTralfaz66 Posts: 653Member
    Truly awesome. Like the little bounce of the Aries when it lands. It seems to run a bit fast, but it was great none the less. Love your work.
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Truly awesome. Like the little bounce of the Aries when it lands. It seems to run a bit fast, but it was great none the less. Love your work.

    Agreed....a bit fast. I'm gonna try to stretch out the time cuz there are a lot of render passes I don't want to redo, lol
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome, can't wait for further versions of this, yeah, a little fast. Music and sound effects would really set this off a treat. Great work.

    :thumb:
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    I did some messing around with retiming... doubling the length gave me too many artifacts, so i retimed it to 1.5 times the length and that seems pretty nice. I'll see what I can do about fixing those wobblies in the refraction and self illumination passes before i post again...
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Ok....did a lot of revisions (probably a lot of unnoticeable things haha). The biggest one is that I looked back at the original model and the dome is much flatter. Mine was much more of a sphere. So I flattened that out as best I could with out getting distortion. Also figured out how to do more of a jet wash with my fluid sim instead of just pumping smoke. Did some compositing improvement and fixed some flickering going on. I think it's pretty much done at this point!

    Edit: wow the blue glow really comes through in that youtube video...
  • vmblastvmblast0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work! Great job :thumb:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1800 Posts: 0Member
    The animation is awesome. I watched it twice. :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent, looks great, but where is the classical music?

    ;)
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Excellent, looks great, but where is the classical music?

    ;)

    I know I know...maybe I'll add some. I was also thinking of putting my Aries shot in front of this...maybe I'll do a transition shot between the two? Maybe moonscape stuff I dunno :)
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Here's another still...I comped in some rock photos in the front to help sell it a bit more and made a quick earth in the back...

    base03_01.jpg

    Edit: the image has been subtly updating for a bit, lol. been messing with some more advanced optical effects manually, especially here at 4:24 (https://youtu.be/s1MqB5TDkLA?t=252). Much more control than the simple filter I was using in Nuke, I made my own version of the spinner he's using since I can't remember how to set it all up on a single spinner like that....
  • SchimpfySchimpfy171 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool. The lighting of Earth seems different than everything else though. The give away to me was the lighting on the Aries. I really like how you put the rock at the forefront. It makes me think the POV is someone peeking over the ridge at the base. :)
  • SaquistSaquist0 Posts: 0Member
    japetus...did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I would like to be. Seriously I love 2001. It's the true definition of serious sci fi and it's yet to be replicated. Everyone one of the models are a slice of the future.

    ...I can here Strauss bring us into docking alignment now.
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    Very cool. The lighting of Earth seems different than everything else though. The give away to me was the lighting on the Aries. I really like how you put the rock at the forefront. It makes me think the POV is someone peeking over the ridge at the base. :)

    Updated the earth..I did do that in a seperate scene :)
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    japetus...did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I would like to be. Seriously I love 2001. It's the true definition of serious sci fi and it's yet to be replicated. Everyone one of the models are a slice of the future.

    ...I can here Strauss bring us into docking alignment now.
    Haha thanks, yeah I've realized recently how influential it's been on my model making! Here's a couple ancient renders I found of the space station and HAL from early 2003! Lol Now I've just got to make Discovery 1 and the Moonbus. I've thought doing the rotating interior of the Discovery 1 would be a cool interior to do

    spaceStation04.jpg
    HAL03.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist0 Posts: 0Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Haha thanks, yeah I've realized recently how influential it's been on my model making! Here's a couple ancient renders I found of the space station and HAL from early 2003! Lol Now I've just got to make Discovery 1 and the Moonbus. I've thought doing the rotating interior of the Discovery 1 would be a cool interior to do

    spaceStation04.jpg
    HAL03.jpg

    That's excellent for 14 years old, Japetus. I like how you're adding to the collection.
  • TralfazTralfaz66 Posts: 653Member
    Your 2001 work is outstanding Japetus, second to none. The image of the Space Station V reminded me of a thread over at the RPF where a person is making what looks like a studio scale model of the space station. Looks amazing.

    http://www.therpf.com/f11/2001-space-station-wip-210841/

    If you are ever interested in doing a 2001 collaboration, I have a Discovery, EVA Pod and Moon Bus models completed. The discovery has the cockpit and pod bay interior pieces. I am not sure if I showed you this video before or not, but here it is again. Looks better in HD and full screen.
  • japetusjapetus1 Posts: 0Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Your 2001 work is outstanding Japetus, second to none. The image of the Space Station V reminded me of a thread over at the RPF where a person is making what looks like a studio scale model of the space station. Looks amazing.

    http://www.therpf.com/f11/2001-space-station-wip-210841/

    If you are ever interested in doing a 2001 collaboration, I have a Discovery, EVA Pod and Moon Bus models completed. The discovery has the cockpit and pod bay interior pieces. I am not sure if I showed you this video before or not, but here it is again. Looks better in HD and full screen.
    Wow, great video! Love when the pod comes out of Discovery. I'll consider your offer to collaborate, dunno when/what that will be though :-D

    Thanks for the space station link, it's almost enough to make me want to model it again! Knowing me I'll start on it next...lol.
Sign In or Register to comment.