Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Vesta Class /RELOADED

124»

• VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    looking good! Don't forget the landing Gear!!! ( Mark has been updating it... per the Voyager book series.. which had a Vesta class LAND... How?? No idea...)
  • ClawhammerClawhammer0 Posts: 0Member
    First of all, this looks excellent! Keep it up Vnm51 :)

As for the escape pods, there are 112 available. They have a max. capacity of 10, so a total of 1120 people can be evacuated. The lime squares below are 1x1 meter, (I somehow use lime squares to measure surface area....doh) that should provide enough room for short periods of time. I used 11 lime blocks to illustrate, there is some room left... you never know who wants to take their Targ along, or who has to lay down for whatever reason.
    escape%20pod%20size.jpg

I might add that there is a huge shuttle deposit as well:

1x Danube class runabout
    1x New Atlantic class runabout (cpt. yacht version)
    4x Type 11 Shuttle
    2x Type 9 shuttle
    6x Workbee
    2x Sphinx

If that is not enough, the saucer also could separate. (A one time experience sadly.)
    It's basically harder to get blown up than to get to safety. :)

This illustrates that the end-caps are hull conforming, the pod itself (that I never modeled) would be underneath that:
    vestatomesh5.jpg

I'm since this week converting the Vesta class to mesh, untidy parts are cleaned up, some mods are being made, and I'm playing with the idea to replace the armor. It is basically a little refit. The final goal is to convert it all and make it compatible with the new (gpu based) renderer. This means all procedurals need to and I have to start using some real textures. (That kind of worked with the IXS Enterprise, so this might be fun as well.)

Anyway that's enough highjacking for one day, back to the topic! :)

p.s. sentence construction, I suck at it!
  • SchmidtFGSchmidtFG211 Posts: 203Member
    @evil_genius_180:
    Just out of curiosity, how large are your pods?
    Mark just arrived with tons of info:).

@VALKYRIE013:
    Don't forget the landing Gear!!!
    If I survive cutting the windows I might do it:).

@Mark:
    Hello Mark, welcome here!
    Thanks for the information you shared with us, this new Vesta project is quite interesting I hope you're planning to post them one by one as WIPs.
    This new saucer separation is awesome I look forward to seeing how it works!

Well, I finished the saucer plates as well as made texts, recolored pods and made some minor modifications.
    Only thing that remains is the window cutting before I start to make final textures.
    Pics below:
    107709.jpg107710.jpg107711.jpg107712.jpg107713.jpg
    Excellent sir!

Goodluck with the windows! and the rooms!!! :)
    Goodluck with the windows! and the rooms!!!
    No. Nono. No physical rooms this time, my mental health status has decreased to 50% after making 6 rows of windows group with sweeping of verts by hand and there are 4 more groups:).
    Oh come on! If your going to go insane, Go with Gusto!!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804323 Posts: 11,050Member
    It's looking great.

Boxes with photos textured to them make wonderful rooms. :)

@Clawhammer: thanks for the info on the pods. I'll be putting that to use on one of my own ships soon. :thumb:
    Good good! :) I really think you are doing this ship as much justice as it can have. I forgot to tell this, but I'm streaming the process on my own Vesta refit, you can take a peek at the modeling. (no audio) This could be funny, as I probably use very strange (and sometimes extremely ineffective) ways to reach a certain goal. http://www.twitch.tv/yard2380 (Sorry once again for the highjack!)
    @VALKYRIE013:
    I might make them in the future, but it will be textured this time. You know, I need mental regeneration after these windows:).

@evil_genius_180:
    Yes, I have to find any good textures for the rooms and corridors. Any leads?:)

@Mark:
    Thank you, I'm glad you like it!
    I will check the vid this afternoon I'm very curious.

Seems I finished the model, start the texturing process soon.
    Polycount after manual sweeping: 860k
    Pics below:
    107744.jpg107745.jpg107746.jpg107747.jpg107748.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804323 Posts: 11,050Member
    The model looks fantastic. :thumb:

For the "interiors," there are various schools of thought. I've tried all of these:

1. Use photos. I have a collage of images that I use from here. (the photos, not the drawings) This is my current method. ;)

2. Create walls and whatnot using vector graphics drawing software. Due to how much is actually seen through the windows, you don't really need full rooms with furniture and whatnot. Alternately, I've even done "abstract" images that don't even have walls and stuff. Just a bunch of tiles make an OK interior.

3. Create rooms in 3D and render them and then map the images to the room boxes. This is the most time consuming, but it can look really good, especially for rooms with larger sets (IE: observation lounge, etc.)

Those are my suggestions.
    Great! At first I thought these where clay renders that I did myself! :D Can't wait to see what you are going to do with the textures. :)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Very, very nice. Outstanding work! :thumb: