Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann610 Posts: 1,271Member
    Okay, here's my uninspired take on the Cygnus, based on what little I remember being specified in the book. I've still got the ocean liner look in my head, probably because I used to be obsessed with sunken liners, with some SF touches. There's sort of a Y-shape to the back with secondary drive units making an upside-down Y alongside them.

The Palo-Pod docks with the dome at the front (with the reception area), then there's two clear-tubes (with London Eye style pods) that lead them past the Lido deck dome thing to the tower. And I'm thinking the front bit between the two bulging hulls might be the dining hall, though I'm not ecstatic about that one.

I'm in such a slump with these designs.

cygnus.jpg
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Hey! I'm diggin' your take on the Cygnus..
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Thanks! It needs to be a little sleeker, though... I couldn't help but be influenced by the original since it was on the cover of the book, but I wanted to give it a little cruise ship feel, it's a place for scientists to do their exploration in luxury.

I would like to give it more transparent areas, the whole London Eye tube thing (which runs throughout the ship) seems like a good hook to run the design off of.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I love the collaboration going on in this thread between Starrigger and BlueNeumann, is resulting in some cracking work, not so sold on the new take on the Sulaco, but the scavenger ship looks great.
    Thanks! And everyone else is welcome too, though I think the Steelring Sulaco might be my fave on here, I can almost feel the cold metal under my hand.
    Thanks Talon, Having a lot of fun, it's nice to recharge the creative juices every once in a while. Collaboration is a great way to do it.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Starrigger wrote: »
    A couple more Scavenger ship, starting Bridge.

scavcomp06.jpg

scav14.jpg

I swear I hadn't seen this thread before designing my chair, lol.
    He must have an enormous schvanschtooker!
    ...Well, that would go without saying...

I like your chair too, man! Really dig how it's part of the ship.
    edited June 2022 #70
    First look at the Cignus:

1bg996h88oh4.jpg
    e9jhth6br8e2.jpg
    80ljlfuws55x.jpg
    jf1uelhbzkh3.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    edited June 2022 #71
    A couple more..

fv3l5b95gb9e.jpg
    p7cnk761pca8.jpg
    Ohhhh BABY
    edited June 2022 #73
    Reworking the main hull, now smoother, and added lights.. Hope your hearing that music... ;)

dm2bm7fr34bo.jpg
    p9r4mhenx4gg.jpg
    I like it... I really love it, but I don't know what I'm looking at with the lights and all (I still haven't watched the movie). I don't know what the lights are.

Oh, I DO have a slight update to the Palo and a way to show it off, four parts put together like a sideways sandwich with the Palopod on front. I gotta put that up.

And, as I was playing around with Black Hole without seeing the movie, THIS wound up being my theme.
    Actually I'm looking to provide this kind on mood, but I need to work on the lighting...

Industrial%20in%20Qatar%2027.jpg

Industrial.jpg

Neil Diamond... nice!
    I'm definitely keen on that, especially for the Palo (sort of an oily tub with a power plant). The Cygnus would be great for a cruise ship shell around a power plant center, for all the robots (and yes, I did a redesign for Victor).
    Thinking of doing a graphic novel This ship has really juiced up my imagination...
    Still working out a lot of story but this is how I see it starting for now:

Scavenger .01:
    Close Encounter

The Scavenger is coming into orbit around a trade friendly planet, when suddenly they are almost taken out by a shot-up shuttle coming out of warp. The ship itself is in pretty good shape, but the crew is dead. The crew of the Scavenger take the shuttle into tow, and that's when the fun begins...

Oh, yes that is your sub re-worked :)

Steve

scavnov03.jpg
    I gotta think up some kind of cast for this... I had a cast in mind for the Palo, but not the Scavenger.
    Okay, I don't have any new ships to share, but the kick-off for the comic strip reminded me of this VERY cool bande desinee I got in France a couple years ago (I went nuts getting comics over there) called "Empire of the Machines," which has this insane painted+CGI merge style. Have to share a few pages, if I had the skill (I can't colour), I would TOTALLY want to make a book that looks like this.

empire-01.jpg
    empire-02.jpg
    empire-03.jpg
    Actually it looks to be a mix of CG and Rotoscoped live models, but yes, very cool...
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    super-liberator.jpg

i like that dominator ship, looks pretty menacing.
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Actually it looks to be a mix of CG and Rotoscoped live models, but yes, very cool...

Yeah, and that's where I sort of fall apart, because I love that hyper-realistic look but I greatly dislike the photo-matting look, you know pretty quickly how it's put together and it totally ruins the illusion (like when you read anything drawn by Greg Land or Bryan Hitch and recognize one of the photos they referenced).
    i like that dominator ship, looks pretty menacing.

Thanks! I screwed up the perspective a little, though. I can't imagine what the next step will be called but I can't imagine a ship being much bigger anyway, not without being an artificial moon or something.
    New drawing! Nothing great but step one of something I wanted to do for a while, a spaceship in the vein of Gokai Galleon from Gokaiger. I'm a huge fan of spaceships in the style of sailing ships, so one that turns into a robot like Macross... I'm there! I definitely want to play with the design a bit more, but I can't believe I didn't doodle it before.

galleon.jpg
  • AdlerAdler0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd like to do the Sulaco when I get done with my Emissary do I have permission? Perhaps that trek ship too. Nice design.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    I also like space ships in the form of sailing ships. :)
    Adler wrote: »
    I'd like to do the Sulaco when I get done with my Emissary do I have permission? Perhaps that trek ship too. Nice design.

Oh yeah, of course, go for it! The more the merrier!
    Okay, there was a little detail in Tobias's amazing runabout model that I'd never seen before, and it made me think of the Deloreon from Back To The Future, and so this sketch came to me (I've never been that good with cars).

dmc-runabout.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's freaky. I like it. :D
    While we're on the subject of cars...

I was looking for this one, I should do a better version but I was watching A.I. a few months ago and something about the Cricket car reminded me of the Smartcar, so I merged the two together on the side of my notes (right hand side for notes, left hand side for doodles). Enjoy!

smartcar-ai-doodle.jpg
    edited June 2022 #90
    Rise of the dominator! Take one...

cwjefqt6lwy8.jpg
    0fyq24gmi5rr.jpg
    r5vjgh832hvg.jpg
    Very cool, though it looks very manmade, I can picture Nasa trying to put it together. I based the Dominator on a redesign on here, it's basically a hexa-hive gone mad, overgrown and branching out further and further. Remember the giant Replicator version of Atlantis from Stargate Atlantis... that was sort of my headspace. So I might actually do a couple changes to yours to make it something new and cool, it looks like a Nasa hot rod.

Anyway, new drawings.

smartcar-dmc.jpg
    A cartoonish doodle of the Smartcar with the Deloreon time machine parts crammed onto it. Drawn the same day as the Runabout but I didn't scan it in until now.

I read today that New York is going to update all their phone kiosks and a design immediately came to my head. I'm sharing it with you because I'm sure I'd need a few renders to help sell the idea. I tried to design something simple and elegant, and the design for electric car charging stations was in my head, but I decided to avoid that plasticy look and give it a New York toughness with a steel side.

ny-payphone-1.jpg
    The design is a cone with a... well, a circumcised tip, public phone blue with a stainless steel flat side. It's intentionally flat so that any alterations (such as illegal card readers which plague ATMs) are immediately visible.

The receiver is a simpler design, but I think I need a way to integrate it more flush into the cone. If I could do that, then a simple slipcover could be put over the whole thing when it's out of order. I'm also trying to figure out the best way to protect the power outlets (for recharging your mobile) to keep the elements out.

I'm also going to design a text-station for deaf users to type messages or use the net. All the payphones are wifi hotspots. You can buy credits for it where you get phone cards (and there could be a bunch of cool We(NewYork cards to commemorate the unveiling).

The buttons have light around the edges like laptops, public phone blue, so they can be seen easily in low light, and there's braille for all of them like ATMs.

The touchscreen displays advertisements when vacant, but can display live video for emergency situations via the Wifi system. You can also use it for video calls, there's a webcam above for that. The screen has a timer and countdown for the coin-users to know to reload, and the main menu has hotkeys for New York Public Services like calling for a cab with the touch of a button, pulling up subway and bus schedules, traffic, maps, what have you, and both 911 and non-emergency calls. And when you call 911, it immediately turns the webcam on and transmits the image. And the top flashes in emergency situations as well, but you can turn that off in case you don't want to draw attention to yourself.

The blue cone side has the We(NewYork logo slanted on the side, but if there's a long enough line, the logo can be spread out across them. Or they can have different colours, creating a gradient scale to please the eye. Or they can also be turned into advertising space, either to be rented out or to promote New York Public information.

Now, I would actually like to enter this design in, but I know I can't do it on my own, so if any of you want to jump in, go for it!