Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D(WIP) Warhammer 40k Rhino Transport

2»

• alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    DCB wrote: »
    This is 40K. Best you don't ask questions about such things...

I've actually pondered this as it would relate to actually animating the tracks of the Rhino... If you have a fully modelled vehicle (i.e. with interior and opening doors) then how would you model the tracks to be animated?...

Unless you made a very convoluted spline path, it appears that the tracks running over the road wheels would actually run right through the middle of the side doors of the vehicle (if using a typical oval looking set of tracks). :o

I guess my question is how would you accomplish animating the tracks then? :rolleyes:
  • WolfieDWolfieD0 Posts: 0Member
    to be honest every attempt at makeing a revolving wheel system on the actual model has failed, not because of intersection but rotation, i did a test from scratch using one method which although wasnt commpletly what i wanted looked fairly decent (ill try to add a link to it) but when i try to apply the same technique to the real model it would rotate the wheels oddly or distort them no mater what axis or way i would do it.. so i put that aspect on hold and returned to modeling the rest of parts.

[video=facebook;228126377219215]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=228126377219215&comments[/video]
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    I guess my question is how would you accomplish animating the tracks then?
    The same way they do things in any other situation where the interior bears no relation to the exterior (e.g. Star Wars vehicles) - use two different sets.
    i hope i fixed an issue with the video i posted not working, and here are 2 pics same shot just differently done, to illustrate the tracks on the rhino (as i have them) i hope its understandable lol isnt prob the best way to do it but couldnt do anything better at present headache wont let me think lol anyway heres the pics,

6000834459_d53396a0f2_z.jpg

6000834901_abc9326d43_z.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I always thought they went up and over the doors like on the Land Raider (though this is most obvious on the old style LR) I think that just about gives you enough room to run the tracks along the top but frees up enough space at the bottom to put in some vaguely realistic suspension. I don't think anyone would complain if you took a few liberties with the proportions in exchange for a fully working model. After all, if you assume these things are "real", then it's actually GW that has taken the liberties when converting them to miniatures. The Rhino compared to a the basic human figure should be closer in size to the Land Raider. There's a whole modeling movement dedicated to "true scale" works, they might have done something with vehicles.
    you know i never thought of taking the tread up and over, cause yeah thinking about it it would give some room for suspension on the bottom good thinking 99, and i will def check out true scale groups and see what i can come up with, thou i might have to hunt out my old max disc and use reactor to create the suspension cause i have no idea how to do that with massfx that is on the latest version..
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Armondikov wrote: »
    I always thought they went up and over the doors like on the Land Raider (though this is most obvious on the old style LR) I think that just about gives you enough room to run the tracks along the top but frees up enough space at the bottom to put in some vaguely realistic suspension. I don't think anyone would complain if you took a few liberties with the proportions in exchange for a fully working model. After all, if you assume these things are "real", then it's actually GW that has taken the liberties when converting them to miniatures. The Rhino compared to a the basic human figure should be closer in size to the Land Raider. There's a whole modeling movement dedicated to "true scale" works, they might have done something with vehicles.

I concur. :D
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Armondikov wrote: »
    I always thought they went up and over the doors like on the Land Raider
    Yes, the trapezoidal shape always suggested the same thing to me as well, not to mention that the majority of their tank/IFV chassis seem to follow that same pattern (Land Raider, Leman Russ, Chimera). I'm sure there was some cutaway drawing in White Dwarf back in the day that showed as much.
    So wolfie, are you using a morph of some kind to animate the rhino tracks? I've never tried to animate tracks before, but have read of some sort of morph method that is often used for this... I may have missed it in the thread, but what 3D application are you using?

Something else I have often wondered - there are no "drive" (e.g. toothed) wheels on the Rhino to pull the tracks along... this isn't as noticable on the Imperial Guard vehicles as the armored side-skirts usually cover all but the tracks and the road wheels are almost totally hidden.

On the Rhino, the lack of drive sprockets seems to be a glaring ommission to the design of a tracked vehicle, but maybe there are internal hidden drive wheels only accessible by trained Mechanicus adepts that have performed the necessary rites and rituals... :p
    hahaha yeah if its 40k is always hidden rites and ritual stuff lol i will add some sort of sprocket to the weeks even if just a hole in the wheel and a raised bit of the treadplate. just dont tell the emperor

im using 3ds max 2012, i dont think its a morph (the video i put up if it works hahah) was done from a tutorial i found on utube (spent a fair few hours looking at catapliar tracks in there) where by you create a some drive wheels, a treadplate (clone said plate a few dozen times) draw a spline around the wheels, and pathdeform the tread around the path, and use the wheels linked to each other by potison to rotation (so as one moves forward they all move and rotate then link the path to those, and have the position linked to %around the path option.

but this is a very RIDGED animation great for straight roads and test drives but if you wished to add in debris or terrian doesnt really give a real feel i think.. but i couldnt figure out how to take a reactor tutorial for same thing and make massfx do it, the tread would just fly about randomly and was WAY too boyant like an elastic band even though the mass was set for steel and the arc of roation on the hindges was very very small... i might (As i want to try (since eveyone in agreement taking the tread up and over the doors later on) and get a working roating tread done .. thanks again to everyone for thier imput is very much appericated :)
  • UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    Coming along nicely WolfieD, keep up the good work.

In regards to a couple of the recent comments remembered I'd seen these pics in the Imperial Armour Book.

This pic shows the suspension system (basic, after all Space Marines don't worry about comfort)

suspension.png

This shows that the front wheel is toothed (never spotted this until now...:o Means I gotta change my model.....)

wheel.png

Unfortunately, it still doesn't show exactly where the tracks go. Typically the drawings are inconclusive, the positioning of the hardware certainly leaves a big space, which could hold that tracks, but there is no more wheels shown.

Typical GW, just because its from thousands of years in the future, you think they could have drawn up some accurate plans......;)

At the end of the day whatever works for you is OK with us:D......

The mystery continues....
    thats awesome thankyou, which book did that come from :) be interested to see what else lies within its pages lol :)
    ahh, cool! Thanks for posting those UK... I actually have that book, but never noticed the toothed drive-wheel... now I'll have to update my Rhino too... :rolleyes::lol:

There are actually a number of things that I need to re-do in the modelling of my Rhino... so back to the drawing board as it were....
    WolfieD - These come from the Imperial Armour Books, Volume 2 is the Space Marines & Forces of the Inquisition.
    Lots of great artwork and ref. pics, just don't look too closely at the details, you may spot a couple of inconsistencies......;)

alpha - No problem. :) Back to the 'virtual' drawing board....
    hehe i was gonna leave a test render movement over night, but ill wait now ill tommrow night and add in the toothed drivewheel and suspension lol need to see if anyone done tutorials on suspension and see what i can come up with :)
    blade - ahh kool thanks i dont actually have those, might have a look on ebay see if i can pick up a copy collection allways needs adding too lol
    There's plenty of copies on ebay, just don't expect to get them cheap..... :(
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Certainly on the Land Raider you can see what looks like axle covers protruding out of the side armour. The larger one at the back I always assumed was the drive wheel.

m1252408_99120101010_SMLandraidermain_445x319.jpg

EDIT: There's also some considerable fluff here. Looks like it's supposed to be two electric engines turning the rear drive wheel and each side is independent. Though this isn't entirely consistent with the four exhaust towers. We could assume the grating at the back is supposed to be the intake for the electric motor: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Rhino

Now I'm going to stop, because I fear I may be starting to sound like a Star Trek fan...
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Hmmm.. most detailed fluff I've seen states 8 engines, 2 per quarter. That's the main reason why a Rhino is considered to be such a great combat vehicle, lots of redundancies, as well as limited auto-repair functions. Pre-heresy Standard Template Constructs at its best!