Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAshley's Star Trek WIP Thread

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    It's definitely a clean, functional looking workspace; looks like you've struck a balance between the clean lines of TNG and utilitarianism of VOY. :)

Are those sets of 4 angled panels in the service corridor based on the ones aboard the Defiant?
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Starscream wrote: »
    It's definitely a clean, functional looking workspace; looks like you've struck a balance between the clean lines of TNG and utilitarianism of VOY. :)

Are those sets of 4 angled panels in the service corridor based on the ones aboard the Defiant?

I actually based them off TNG set parts from a few different episodes but then went my own way with them.

From Interface
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s7/7x03/interface078.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s7/7x03/interface074.jpg

From Pegasus
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s7/7x12/thepegasus221.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s7/7x12/thepegasus217.jpg

Instead of being ugly covers over the TMP style floor lights I thought they'd make good access panels so you didn't have to remove an eight to ten foot long panel to get at the pipes or circuits behind a wall panel. ;)
    Ah, ok. :) Yeah the big angular panels were featured prominently as equipment access covers in Voyager, and less so aboard the Defiant (above the Bridge consoles).

From the angle of the pic, they looked a little like the thinner ones above Defiant's replicator. :)
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    You know, I was thinking those corridors could fit easily well for a Defiant-class successor.
    Ah, ok. :) Yeah the big angular panels were featured prominently as equipment access covers in Voyager, and less so aboard the Defiant (above the Bridge consoles).

From the angle of the pic, they looked a little like the thinner ones above Defiant's replicator. :)

Yeah I can totally see that.
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    You know, I was thinking those corridors could fit easily well for a Defiant-class successor.

I can definitely see that as well.

All right, last part of the Secondary Hull corridors I'm going to bore everyone with. ;)

24th_century_corridor___eng__lateral_access_by_ashleytinger_dcwnr47-fullview.jpg

This corridor connects the bottom portion of the Engineering Lobby, the part furthest from Main Engineering to the long Utility Corridor.

There's an ODN wall full of access panels at the far end that goes into a GNDN corridor that you could have someone come in and out of but it goes out into the void otherwise.

24th_century_corridor___saucer_corridor_1_by_ashleytinger_dcwpbdj-fullview.jpg

I ended up completely restructuring the Primary Hull corridors and did it up as one big U shape with the wider 'lobby' in the middle connecting the two curved halves. Looking down from above, Corridor 1 is the East corridor and this shot is looking back towards the lobby, but the junction you see at the end isn't the lobby, it's the radial corridor for this concentric section.
    24th_century_corridor___saucer_holodeck_lobby_by_ashleytinger_dcwr9s8-fullview.jpg

The slightly re-tooled Engineering Lobby doubles as a Holodeck Lobby in the Saucer, with the main entrances to the two biggest Holodecks facing off against each other. Against the Captain's wishes, the CMO and Councilor have decided a nice rotation of plants from the Arboretum in the corridor will help with morale, especially given how often the Holodeck gets used and abused by the crew.

Basically, the plants are optional here. I just thought it'd be a fun addition

24th_century_corridor___saucer_radial_by_ashleytinger_dcww2jq-fullview.jpg

This is a much shorter version of the Engineering Utility Corridor except that it's in the Saucer and is missing several segments. There are two of these types of corridors built into the set at the mid-point of the concentric corridor pieces. You'd find your Jefferies Tube access and entrance to the Transporter Room off a corridor like this one along with a turbolift at both ends.

Side note: I need to model a turbolift. >_<

24c_corridor_red_alert_gif_by_ashleytinger-dcww5xv.gif

Wanted to see Red Alert in action, so made an animated gif between two images.

Let's face it, if the TNG or DS9 crew were visiting the ship, this is more than likely what they'd be walking into...

24th_century_corridor___saucer_corridor_2_by_ashleytinger_dcwwql7-fullview.jpg

Last render of these corridors for awhile, well unless there are characters walking their ship anyway.

I ended up completely restructuring the Primary Hull corridors and did it up as one big U shape with the wider 'lobby' in the middle connecting the two curved halves. Looking down from above, Corridor 2 is the West corridor and this shot is looking back towards the lobby a little bit before the radial corridor junction at the halfway point. The plants down the corridor are the same ones from the Holodeck Lobby.

24th_century_forward_lounge_wip_by_ashleytinger_dcwzv50-pre.jpg

While there's currently no windows for this on the front of the Probert Ambassador mesh I'm using, I'm going to texture them in, because I want a forward lounge dammit.

This is loosely based off of Nine Forward off the 3D warehouse from Aryh Peixoto Filho but every piece is getting almost completely rebuilt before I'm done. It is very like Ten-Forward, except it's on Deck Nine on the D.

This would be on the Aurora around Deck 8 I think? Not entirely sure. Either way, on the Aurora it's called the Forecastle and I'm building it to attach on the Lobby portion of the saucer corridor.
    Throw in plenty of "ancient maritime" features and a dim lit, cozy atmosphere (Generations did this pretty well with lighting the existing 10 Forward set), and The Foc'sle would be an awesome venue. :)

(The structural support beams reminded me somewhat of timber framed old buildings, hence the above thought)
    Throw in plenty of "ancient maritime" features and a dim lit, cozy atmosphere (Generations did this pretty well with lighting the existing 10 Forward set), and The Foc'sle would be an awesome venue. :)

(The structural support beams reminded me somewhat of timber framed old buildings, hence the above thought)

I'd actually thought about putting in wooden support beams ala Star Trek V Forward Observation Lounge, but I nixed that as they didn't work with the giant metal hull supports.

Right now, there's light from below the windows for when they're out in Deep Space *dundundun* but if they're in orbit over a planet or studying an anomaly that's giving off enough light then those are off and the light from those would filter through the windows. The tables will give off light as well as the bar tops and the wall ... things. It's NOT going to be very brightly lit at all, especially without any ceiling lights.

I'm looking into doing up some extra table decor that looks like old gas lanterns, modeling up an old wooden steering wheel for one wall, doing up that floor decoration that was also an emergency beacon in Star Trek V, and then I'm looking into other things for the wall opposite the one with the steering wheel on it.

Instead of carpet I was thinking about doing up the floor in wooden tile.

Definitely open to ideas! ;)
    24th_century_forward_lounge_wip_02_by_ashleytinger_dcx6157-pre.jpg

The basics of the lounge are in place. I'm working on some wall decorations, a floor centerpiece, and lanterns for the tables to give it a nautical feel

24th_century_forward_lounge_wip_render_test_by_ashleytinger_dcx79jv-pre.jpg

I wanted to check and make sure this was going to work lighting wise. I think I MIGHT need to add some ceiling lights, but I'm going to drop the tables and chairs in with their lights first, but this is definitely feeling dark and moody.

I might be changing up how I do the Navigation thing based off of the one in Star Trek V I was planning on the floor and turn it into a light source.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Nice! Looks very similar to the Nine Forward we had on Stage 9 (we had the same inspiration), looking forward to seeing it get populated!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Nice! Looks very similar to the Nine Forward we had on Stage 9 (we had the same inspiration), looking forward to seeing it get populated!

I'm hoping to throw the tables and chairs in tonight and do some test renders before I decide on my ceiling lights. The 'knick-knacks' to make it a bit more 'nautical' can wait. ;)
    24th_century_forward_lounge_wip_render_test_02_by_ashleytinger_dcxa9zk-pre.jpg

Imported the furniture and lighted tables and I think we'll be ok with the lighting. I need to do a test for when the ship would be around a bright anomaly or planet yet. Still working on some of the wall decor and 'gas' lights for the tables. I am still going to include the floor navigation design but I am going to make it lighted.
    24th_century_forward_lounge___the_forecastle_by_ashleytinger_dcy2pe1-pre.jpg

The Aurora, an Ambassador class refit, has a forward lounge dubbed by the crew as The Forecastle. With glass lanterns on the tables, large ship wheels on the walls, and a dimmer atmosphere to serve better as a lounge, it's a popular spot on the ship when you're off shift.

I've got this set up off the saucer corridor set and I'm going to have two groups to toggle this on and off with a standard reinforced door and wall so different parts of the ship can be depicted with the 'flip' of a switch. I'm contemplating a flat wall with some wall sconces and a chair there as well for variety. ;) I may still add more to this later, but for what I want to use it for right now, it'll do.
  • XFozzbouteXFozzboute654 Posts: 1,627Member
    The interiors are looking really nice.
    XFozzboute wrote: »
    The interiors are looking really nice.

Thanks!

Hopefully I'll have enough soon to start doing some actual work on at least one of the comics I had planned.
    24th_century_engineering_wip_01_by_ashleytinger_dcye7ex-pre.jpg

I am nowhere done detailing this yet. I did want to see how this would work out in DAZ though, and I already found a few chunks I'm going to have to fix. Not sure on the pressure door sealing off Engineering. I admit that was my first idea, and they finally went back to that in the Sovereign after letting just anyone waltz through Engineering for almost a decade.

The Warp Core room part of Engineering is actually based around the TNG set in size and shape for the outer walls. I'm doing an office off to one side with a little corridor to get there and a monitor room opposite the Chief Engineer's office that'll have access to the Jefferies Tubes. No, I haven't designed those yet either. :P

The bottom image would be when there's a 'coolant leak! everyone out!'

I went with my initial inspiration with the Ambassador Engineering for this to add on to my Secondary Hull corridors.

ambassador_class_engineering_sketch_by_ashleytinger_dchcdfs-fullview.jpg

I deviated a bit from my initial sketch both to fit my corridor set and to put in some new ideas.

So checklist for this to finish:
    Engineer's Office and Window to Core
    Monitor Room and Window to Core
    Warp Core Room Wall Paneling
    Warp Core panel details
    Engineering Console LCARS
    Jefferies Tube Access
    24th_century_engineering_wip_02_by_ashleytinger_dcys84l-fullview.jpg

I worked on detailing the warp core itself, the plasma conduits in the back and some floor and ceiling 'bracing' for the conduits. This is a two deck or story installation with a little bit going below the floor. I'm also going to import the warp core back into DAZ separately for those that feel the need to simulate Engineering without it's core, or say you wanted a different look to the warp core that would be easier to do. Model and swap. :)

So this is what it currently looks like rendered in Truespace. This isn't the DAZ style rendering.
    24th_century_engineering_wip_03_by_ashleytinger_dcytelh-pre.jpg

Spent some time detailing in between story edits today. I feel comfortable with the detail level in the 'Warp Core' room. These test renders aren't complete. It's only about half-complete, hence the graininess but it gets the idea across wonderfully. :) I think I'm going to use different material on the two wall brace rings that run around the upper portion of the room. It just doesn't come across the way I thought it would.

So checklist for Engineering to be finished:
    Engineer's Office
    Monitor Room and Jefferies Tube Access
    Engineering Console LCARS
    23rd_century_engineering_wip_01_by_ashleytinger_dcytzde-pre.jpg

In the greatest tradition of the Trek franchise, I've taken my 24th Century set progress and dressed them down for a Phase II/TMP Engineering look. Planning on working on both the sets as I go so I'll have them both ready to go when they're done.
    The green's a bit out of place tbh - the coolant was only that color in FC to make Engineering look more "Borgified," whereas it's normally white. ;)
    The green's a bit out of place tbh - the coolant was only that color in FC to make Engineering look more "Borgified," whereas it's normally white. ;)

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/7089/why-does-warp-plasma-burn-green

They've definitely had it burning green outside of First Contact.

And in containers in Voyager, it's green.
    23rd_century_engineering_wip_02_by_ashleytinger_dcz185k-pre.jpg

Rebuilt the consoles and walls in the entryway to Engineering, added in the reinforced brace. Need to redesign the wall that the brace is on because you can see the U shaped doorframe of the 24th century version poking through with the doors in the correct position.

Also playing with materials. Made the flooring a rubber grip style variety for Engineering. Also started playing with the blue lighting that would be throughout the Engineering hull of the ship.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    Warp PLASMA is green. Warp plasma COOLANT is typically white.
    Touche. So one green and one white. ;)
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Very cool stuff! I'm not that big a fan of multicolored warp core (I always thought the half red, half blue Enterprise-E core was kinda silly), but I love how you took that Ambassador concept and brought it to life!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Very cool stuff! I'm not that big a fan of multicolored warp core (I always thought the half red, half blue Enterprise-E core was kinda silly), but I love how you took that Ambassador concept and brought it to life!

Yeah I kind of aped that idea from the Big E. LOL. I wanted to try something that looked a bit different. It works for what I'm going for.

I did deviate form the initial sketch a bit, but a bunch of that is because I built the corridors first I think. I wanted to get away from that TMP look and have something a bit different and it's invaded my concept. Having the sketch has actually helped quite a bit though. Makes it much easier to have a guide for where I wanted to go. :)

And thank you!
    I finished up the Challenger's Engineering while the forum was down. It's a dress down of the 24th Century Engineering I was working on.

23rd_century_engineering_entrance_by_ashleytinger_dcz7c5e-fullview.jpg
    Main Entrance

23rd_century_engineering_chief_s_office_by_ashleytinger_dczc7wu-fullview.jpg
    Chief Engineer's Office

23rd_century_engineering_monitor_room_by_ashleytinger_dczcffv-fullview.jpg
    Monitoring station

23rd_century_engineering_warp_core__overhead__by_ashleytinger_dczfvwk-fullview.jpg
    Overhead view of the Phase II core

23rd_century_engineering_warp_core__main_door__by_ashleytinger_dczie24-fullview.jpg
    Standard view of Engineering from the main entrance
    Lizzy777
    23rd_century_jefferies_access_corridor_by_ashleytinger_dd027ml-fullview.jpg

Based off what we saw in the Big E in The Final Frontier, but with my own spin on it. 88 ft of Jefferies access for the Secondary Hull. Well anywhere in the ship really, but this section was built with the secondary hull in mind.

I resurrected a chunk of the work I'd done on it back in 2016 here: fav.me/da90rad but then updated it with parts I'd made over the years and built a few new parts.
    As Rusty pointed out, coolant is indeed white, which was what was referring to. :)

And as for green plasma, IIRC we've only ever seen that when the internal EPS relays have blown - not the warp plasma conduits, which have varied between blue, red and yellow-white (FFS you'd think they could be a bit more consistent! :lol: )
    As Rusty pointed out, coolant is indeed white, which was what was referring to. :)

And as for green plasma, IIRC we've only ever seen that when the internal EPS relays have blown - not the warp plasma conduits, which have varied between blue, red and yellow-white (FFS you'd think they could be a bit more consistent! :lol: )

*shrugs* Too true. I guess I'm just going with the green at this point for something different and to give it some contrast. Otherwise it's going to be all white and blue and it just gives Engineering this sterile look. I've yet to see any engine room on any ship be sterile. I don't care if it's starfleet or not. LOL