Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    To tell you the truth there are so many days when I don't draw, where I have ideas in my head and let them escape int the ether. On my current trip I've only done twthreeo pages and there's stuff everywhere I want to draw! I have been taking a lot of reference pictures and videos, though.

r
    The secret is having something you want to draw or want to play with... and just having time. I always sketch in the airport because what else am I going to do?
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Clearly I need to start visiting more airports.. :)
    tumblr_pf9mv4T4pk1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Computer book idea, inspired by a pocket organizer I saw in an old Japanese movie. Kinda weird to design something with so many buttons now that we're in the touchscreen era, gotta find a reason for those. That'll determine what the final design will be.

tumblr_pf9mjx0NLt1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Rough exploration for a superhero motorcycle. Like the idea of spokeless wheels, a la Tron. I don't have it down quite right yet.

tumblr_pf9mpoGdJj1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

A bird-like robot monster inspired by old Super Sentai. Another example of a basic costume that I elaborated and explored and got some interesting results from. Those wings could be useful in other designs, I'm sure. In the original, the wings were also arms but I'm not quite sure if I want to do that or have them be on the back like wings, so the creature can do more fighting.

Also not sure how this creature fits in with Jet Grabber/Jet Eater, they might not be in the same universe.
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser363 Posts: 44Member
    On buttons instead of touch screens... Think how easy it is to accidentally damage the screen on a smartphone. If this is meant to be military - or semi military - in nature, physical buttons might be more durable. The screen could be made of something tougher since it wouldn't need a touch surface so..?
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Touchscreen for civilian, buttons for military/police. Also military/police would be heavy duty metal-type material with rubber shock absorbers for when you inevitably drop it.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Touchscreen is great for civilians, but beyond the military and police angle, you also have construction, warehousing, people who work in the field, etc where a touchscreen is entirely impractical for a working device.
    Little update.

tumblr_pg8lhlWATb1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Ideas for pop out of the wall sink and toilets for the transport ships in Iron Star. Here's the problem, they might be too cool, and if they're cool, why aren't they in the regular cells? (Because I want the regular cells to look like contemporary cells).
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    If the toilet area is cramped on the ship, that’s your justification. There is more room in the cell and less supervision to make sure the perps don’t jack-up the “pop out” mechanism.
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Thinking that the sinks/toilets are in the cells, so yeah, definitely cramped in there which is why they're in the wall. Thinking there might only be room for seats and the bunks themselves are pop-down and lock in place.

Of course, after drawing these, I realized that the cells I designed for H4D35 have fold-out toilets and a fold-out sink would be just as easy so maybe I was just overthinking things... or maybe these designs might be useful somewhere else. They are rather striking in a "maybe this is TOO nice" sort of way.
    So slight update on the transport cells, I saw a neat little video about a sleeper train and those little compartments are kind of what I'm thinking of for the cells. Haven't had time to doodle that out yet.
    edited April 2020 #462
    So slight update on the transport cells, I saw a neat little video about a sleeper train and those little compartments are kind of what I'm thinking of for the cells. Haven't had time to doodle that out yet.

POW! that thought hit me hard! not sure why, but the whole thing just popped into my head... Sorry for jumpin' all over your thread... But, Here's a frame started:

k9boynaf6z3l.jpg

The inside of the cell is about 5w x 6d x 6h
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Feel free to jump in! That's dang cool! Door's real interesting too, can't wait to see where this leads

Are you seeing a single or a double?
    edited April 2020 #464
    And a cut-away view too:

sqp6gpdmdbhp.jpg
    edited April 2019 #465
    I see it as a single. it's pretty small. I'm thinking instead of a bed a recliner type of thing would pop out of the floor to provide better support during take offs and stuff. They are prisoners and all but I'm not totally heartless ;)
    That's interesting! Can't wait to see how that looks.

The idea of a chair doing double duty popped in my head as well, i mean, we have to sleep on those in airplanes after all.
    tumblr_pgf278YIey1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Some more concept doodles for that transport cell. I was thinking of that triangular shaped vessel I designed, maybe the toilet and sink are hidden in that narrow corner that would be pretty much useless anyway.

I actually thought I had posted this already, I guess I overlooked it.
    edited April 2020 #468
    Wall seems better for the bed/lounger (Maybe air bladders to create the contours?)

starting the fittings
    Light Blue = air
    Dark Blue = Fresh Water
    Gray = Black Water
    Tan = Emergency Chutes

a7aoxwqv6ebw.jpg

pibygehkaqq8.jpg
    Emergency chutes? ARe you picturing these doubling as escape pods? That's a really cool idea!
    Emergency chutes? ARe you picturing these doubling as escape pods? That's a really cool idea!

Perhaps more for in-transit accidents, but maybe a two bed version for on the IS itself. I kinda see these staying with the transport ship.

Edit - Hmmm. Maybe the cells on the IS would all be eject-able in the event of a major catastrophe
    Another wacko thought just came to me... how about the transport pods just be spheres big enough to recline in and the "passenger" is hooked up like the early astronauts and you pee in your pants kind of thing. They load up the balls into a transport and when the transport arrives at the IS, they are shot out like giant paintballs on a docking trajectory...
    That's an interesting way to go about it... I don't know if I'd use that for this transport but maybe for characters in deep freeze or something, then when they arrive, the spheres could melt and you just walk away (or sputter away, imagining something like Austin Powers or River Tam being unfrozen). Definitely less maintenance than the regular truckload of prisoners, but less opportunity for drama en route. It would be a cool way to introduce a character, and definitely distinctive from the regular "cryo pod" that we always see.

I was also toying with the idea of the judges in the IS-verse, definitely pictured an automated process, It's all machines and I was trying to think of what it would look like, was thinking either screens or old tech, maybe something massive old and soviet-looking... if they're sphere'd right afterwards, that could play into the design somewhat.
    edited April 2020 #473
    So you have this magnetic field generator that guides the ball in...

pwmitkr4lli3.jpg
    That's an interesting way to go about it... I don't know if I'd use that for this transport but maybe for characters in deep freeze or something, then when they arrive, the spheres could melt and you just walk away (or sputter away, imagining something like Austin Powers or River Tam being unfrozen). Definitely less maintenance than the regular truckload of prisoners, but less opportunity for drama en route. It would be a cool way to introduce a character, and definitely distinctive from the regular "cryo pod" that we always see.

I was also toying with the idea of the judges in the IS-verse, definitely pictured an automated process, It's all machines and I was trying to think of what it would look like, was thinking either screens or old tech, maybe something massive old and soviet-looking... if they're sphere'd right afterwards, that could play into the design somewhat.

ooh there's coolness in there! Giant "SnowBalls"!
    Starrigger wrote: »
    So you have this magnetic field generator that guides the ball in...

catcher.jpg

I'm digging this! And It's got this nice sense of insignificance, the passenger about to be swallowed up and fall into this abyss...
    And off to one side; a ball sized dent in the hull of the IS.... :D
    I don't know if this is the IS universe, but I do like it... I know you're thinking a big ice ball, but I'm thinking almost pink... in the pilot, Keeley is chewing gum that has circuitry in it, I could imagine this ball being the same stuff, circuitry in it that keeps people alive and helps steer the pod where to go, etc...

Although having said that, I could see this being how androids like Lorelei are shipped, instead of in a box, in a ball. And you need the right combination to "melt" it. Though we never see it in the series. I think the pink ball made me think of that, Ione Butler (who has graciously provided the test voice for Lorelei) has a pink background on her profile and my mind just linked the two together.
    tumblr_pgjsw3RxOA1u9hwe3o1_400.jpg
    Yeah, Lorelei's hot

The way androids are made and distributed in the IS verse is kind of vague, I always imagined them more as being just like regular people and less like products. But I can totally imagine Lorelei in the fetal position (or a dignified variant of it) in the ball. I can even imagine the fluid filling up and circuitry being 3D printed inside it, like you see a different pattern on the surface as it rises. And maybe one android's nozzle isn't working, so the fluid just pours out and when the floor opens up, he might be jettisoned into space or something. Might be a bit too cruel.

If It's strictly androids shipped in this manner (maybe it can't sustain humans), maybe there are criminal organizations who make bootleg magnetic harnesses to hijack the spheres and pull them in. Like stealing a self-driving car by reprogramming it. Of course, you don't know what you're going to get, you still have to brute force open the ball, and you can't stay in one place too long.

Funny enough, connecting to the original idea you brought up, I was thinking that maybe there'd be a suspension pod where the inmates are hooked up as the "solitary" for H4D35, since it'd be too hot to stick them in a tiny room. But I wasn't quite sure about it because, again, you can't get any drama/story out of it.

And as for escape pods in the IS... well, sadly in the real world (at least in the States), we don't evacuate prisoners, even in cases of hurricanes. Even when ordered to, some prisons refuse. It's an awful situation but one of the things that I wanted IS to tackle, so no pods for the prisoners. Which also gives them more incentive to avert the disasters, and gives them little margin for error.
    Some rough concepts... none of which I'm really nuts about... for the machine judge from the IS-verse. I wanted to contrast the old courthouse look with tech, but I think the "judges" or whatever I call them... justice meters? ...should have more age and bulk to them, like a big old piece of soviet tech.

tumblr_pgkrf9BegQ1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    edited April 2020 #479
    Sooo, maybe something like this... I love the oooold school tech with the chandelier. :cool:

x01z5o84wz6q.jpg

You sit, an ancient ornate table before you. You and the table are squarely placed at the center of a room whose very walls are an inhuman machine designed to precisely calculate to a .01 percent chance of error, your fate... the room is dimly lit by an oddly out of place chandelier hanging high above... A boxy speaker attached to the table barks out static filled questions that seem to have no relevance to the crime you have been accused of. With each answer you give, there is an echoed call from the walls... a faint tinny voice chanting a series of numbers and letters. The questions and answers and chanting continue in an incessant timeless drone..

A booming mechanically charged voice ends the macabre dance;

"Sufficient"

With this one word your fate is sealed. The floor that you had trusted to support your frame falls away. Your mind clicks into slow motion as you sink beneath the time worn floor boards......
    edited April 2020 #480
    Also, went back around on one of your older drawings:

agtu5244oqtw.jpg

The windows on the arms are just place holders it looks pretty bland with out some texture on it...
    Oh, so very cool! That's Eden's home! ... and currently the headquarters for the corrupt human government in the IS-verse, so design accordingly!

The old machine room reference is cool! I was also thinking that interrogation thingy from Twelve Monkeys but obviously i don't want to rip that off too much.

12monkeys.jpg

I was also kind of thinking of these old industrial washing machines maybe mixed with old submarine tech... can't make it too similar to a washing machine though, since they have those on the IS and we'd for sure see our characters on laundry duty.

24466.jpeg

It'd all be patched and overhauled and modded... thinking there'd be one old cathode ray tube that sticks out, watching the accused like an eyeball, your only clue as to what the machine is thinking is the code that flashes across it... maybe it has the image of an old timey judge on there, I dunno.

Regardless, the speaker on the table? Totally seeing old-fashioned drive-in theater speakers.

ea991537076d6a7864777f13c9c9a04f.jpg

The trick of it is we might want to see different trial rooms from different cultures... heck, we might even see tiny ones, I could see Page's trial taking place in a little phone booth style version of that. Maybe you're describing their version of The Supreme Court?