Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCargo Ship

WideFootWideFoot83 Posts: 81Member
edited November 2017 in Work in Progress #1
Attachment not found.
Some time ago, I created a cargo ship based off of Beth M. or Guentari's designs. You can find the model here.

I think I did an okay job. I used many of her components to make the ship appear as if it was in her Almera universe. It was a fun build and a fun ship. It followed many of the design cues of some of my early work and it was nice to relax back into familiar ship design standards.

But, it didn't follow my design standards. So, I'll try again.

My intent here is to build a simple, small ship from the structure outward. I'll follow the same design cues as the first one, but I'll use my own set of controls and computer components for interior details, and I'll make a great deal of the interior components.

As usual, some pictures of my work so far and an imgur album

AGZ82Bx.jpg
pR4RyAr.jpg
995DgI7.jpg
112514.jpg
Post edited by WideFoot on
Tagged:

• WideFootWideFoot83 Posts: 81Member
    As a side note, I really like the small cargo ship as a personal story vehicle. if I lived in the Star Wars universe or the Firefly universe, or some other similar semi-Newtonian fictional universe, it would be the sort of ship I would want. Versatile, durable, useful, and epic. these ships are the stuff of both small and large adventures.

So, I've made a few attempts at this design. The first looked like this:
    7O31sxb.jpg

The second looked like this and is available for download here
    Pk8hLfZ.jpg
    R6T0X12.jpg

This second version uses the same control setup that I will use for this new ship.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a nice design and your model is looking good so far. Your older work is good too. Many of us find a design we really like (sometimes more than one) and do multiple versions of it over the course of years, usually trying to improve it with each successive version.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I like the newer version. It has a bit of a art deco, zeppelin vibe.
    It has been a long time since I've uploaded anything here. I've been dealing with a lot of personal issues. But, I've done a bit of work on my detailed cargo ship. Mostly, I've dealt with the engines and landing gear. I'm very happy with all of it. The engine is based on one of the designs that Scifiwarships (Joachim Sverd) provided for his martian racer community project. The only part actually from that engine is the nozzle on the back (and, even then, it's heavily modified), but I owe him a lot for the design.

The entire design history is here on my imgur page

RFG9PoE.jpg
    rkkTSRd.jpg
    flKVnG9.jpg
    iynXFac.jpg
    rojren wrote: »
    I like the newer version. It has a bit of a art deco, zeppelin vibe.

Thanks! Art Deco is one of my favorite design styles, for starships especially. The Starship Titanic designed by Oscar Chichoni for the game and book of the same name is by far my favorite ship design and was done in the Art Deco style to great effect. The whole future-retroism feel is a really great way to make people stop and think just a little bit about the thing they're looking at.

I'm afraid that the Art Deco feeling of this ship will slowly erode as more detail is added, especially to the exterior. But, this ship is part of a liniage that begins with my inspiration to do this at all, which starts in Mr. Chichoni's studio.
    Some minor updates to the ship. The antenna set at the bottom starboard point of the bow was surprisingly difficult, but it hearkens back to my first two Ranger models, off of which this ship is heavily based. It was surprisingly difficult to get everything to fit and I ended up with fewer antennas than I had hoped. It does mean there will be no docking ring on the bow of this ship like there was in the previous cargo ship. I may place it on the side to be used in conjunction with a docking umbilical.

The main cargo door was a challenge mechanically. In the end, I cheapened out and thickened the hull by 3X to allow the doors to pass inside of the hull. it's cheating in a way, but it gives the ship a stockier look which I like and saves me a lot of thinking and mechanics.

6RW7nMI.jpg
    GmKMdEp.jpg