Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9696 Posts: 5,299Member
    Nearing being done with the main frame. Slowly replacing the dummy parts.

miranda-tos-414.jpg

miranda-tos-415.jpg

miranda-tos-416.jpg

miranda-tos-417.jpg
    JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    I think this is it for now. Any other detail parts like inner panels and pressure hulls will get modeled as needed when I start tearing this thing up. I need to spend some time I think composing the image before I go too much further with modeling stuff as I might spend time on a section of it and not have it be view able in the image would be wasting time. Final image shows space that could have some tight jeffries tubes and a lot of the plasma transport system. Figure I wont model any tubes unless I need them here. Same for trunk lines and other smaller bits. I would assume these are no go areas while under operation, only the heavily shielded injector decks would be manned. And funny they all sit near the intake manifold for all the plasma. Also rendered this with the MR rounder off. Less of the blue halo thing going on in it.
    Of course all much closer than I ever would get for a final image.

miranda-tos-418.jpg

miranda-tos-419.jpg

miranda-tos-420.jpg
    JES
    Spent 2 frikin days chasing speckles. . . . . Did adjust maps and things buit it is still not perfect. Gloss channels and aniso are all a bit whack atm so all the grime is like super boosted. Just had noticed I did not have things set up for aniso on the large maps so I had a lot of panel patterns that were not breaking properly. So stuff like pennants would vanish from glancing gloss bloom etc. ATM even this render is flawed as it blows out and has speckles from the impulse and the windows in the hull. Part of the strut speckle is corrected using fast interpolate but I do not like to use it as reflective bloom and gloss bloom (spec) are not accurate and just look fake. Ramping the sampling up helps some but it still is a bit MEH.

I dunno what is up with the speckles as in the past all I had to do was up the sample rate on the material or in FG and it would go away. Go fig. From what I have researched online it has something to do with the self ilum in arch design materials (MR mats) and going through glass and reflecting. Often it is a secondary reflection that causes it as it bounces it halfs or diminishes the samples enough to break up and look crap. Sadly none of the faces I found fix it. Least not the ones I would accept IE not using fast interpo. Bloody 4 hours for this render at 3200w SHEESH

miranda-tos-422.jpg
    JES
    Ugh took longer than planned and still using a placeholder planet. Render of the higher rez one is still going. . . . . .
    Likely no one can tell though so meh, I decided to just output it and be done with it!
    miranda-tos-421b1.jpg
    JES
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Wow....
    Oh man that bloody planet at 6500wide took a whole bloody 25.5 hours. I really need to source some super large clouds that are not clipped out. You can see that in my height stacks as flat areas in some of the formations. You can just see it in the flat maps but the vertex stuff really increases the issue.

anyhow a down scaled raw output of the planet sans atmo, doing that separately so I can adjust as needed.
    planet-048.jpg
    JES
    Alternate take with the new rendering of the planet, no real change in detail. . . . . . . waste of time re-rendering it lol.

miranda-tos-421c.jpg
    JES
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Huh... I wonder what the ship would look like if you had the grills and frames underneath it and just made the hull about 10% transparent.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1988 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    Oh WOW. I'm just going to sit here and stare at that for awhile now.
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser362 Posts: 44Member
    Not a big fan of TOS revisions but... That's a new desktop background!
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    UAU!!!!!! :o

I take my hat off to you Dan! :thumb:
    Thanks everyone plan to have more images out in time as a break from the modeling.

Failed attempt to see how the carpaint shader would look on the entire hull. . . . . . clearly it doesnt work as it took forever then crashed sometime at night. -_-

tholian-cruiser-072.jpg

guessing it was to much stuff stacked up and it just took a crap as ram looked ok, just a screen grab as it was all I could do.
    JES
    Reverted to the old material but altered some of the settings and the maps used.
    Fooling with the impulse engines, less red more orangeish. Also considering dumping the cover. Wasted a lot of time modeling various shapes and rage quit those so I am back to the bars. Then got distracted messing with that red crystal material as a accent, though I dunno about adding another surface to the ship exp this as it isnt really anywhere else on it.

tholian-cruiser-077.jpg

tholian-cruiser-081.jpg
    JES
    Bit of a no no using solid settings on a single faced object but I think this is where I will go with these. Instead of bars of emitters it is just one large stepped rings of plasma.

tholian-cruiser-086.jpg
    JES
    Just messing around now with materials and some other details.

tholian-cruiser-089.jpg

tholian-cruiser-090.jpg

tholian-cruiser-091.jpg
    JES
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    i like this teardropstyle of the impulse drive emitters. look much more alien in terms of tholian technology. awesome work, mkf!
    Well looking at what I was going to do next I opened my Klink ships and thought maybe Ill do a render with them and discovered I never got to do ing anything with the "chin" of my tosish era ship. D6? Anyhow started cutting in and reproducing the torp hole I had on the other cruiser and well results so far seem anemic (this ship is larger) I didnt want to do the HUGE hole with a tiny arse launcher inside that the D7 would have had and had in TMP. But I think this might be pushing it. I have altered the cuts to make a fairly large step down but dunno.
    kling-pretos-507.jpg

kling-pretos-508.jpg

This is the look I am replicating. Lots of manual shaping.

cruiser-346.jpg

And before anyone asks NO the belly gun does not have clear fire when at rest as it is a strafing gun and not meant to fire forward. I deemed it as justifyable as for it to clear I would have to truncate the hull too much or have the turret sticking out much to far from the hull.
    JES
  • rojrenrojren2292 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,968Member
    Maybe more than one launcher?
    Well I want to limit the payload of this ship as it is already sporting quite a number of disruptors and 4 large cannons in the shoulders and that turret.

Well most of the star burst plating is done. Maybe some smaller details and chamfers to go. Keep in mind that there will be hull plating underneath all of this as well.

kling-pretos-513.jpg

kling-pretos-514.jpg
    JES
    A few full renders as I was a bit worried that I placed the whole torp deal a bit too low in the blister. I think it looks alright but it probably would have looked better moved up a bit. . . . There is paneling cut but not extruded yet.

kling-pretos-515.jpg

kling-pretos-516.jpg
    JES
    Panels, panels, and sensor dome. Also note all the $&#&@^ing turned faces. Dunno max seems to decide randomly to turn some hidden edges all the wrong way even though I have not touched those parts in over a year. Points at rear part of the neck, area just forward of the lower grill and at the base of the tubes. -_-;'

kling-pretos-521.jpg

kling-pretos-522.jpg
    JES
    Some more panels and detail bits.

kling-pretos-526.jpg
    JES
    More of the same old panels and some fooling about to give a bit of an idea of size. I am tempted to stick some slit windows in that back wall area or at least in that lower curve where the girl is. Kinda slow today as I got distracted with some things around the house. Not to mention avoiding thinking about those bits of lower neck that joins to the hull.

kling-pretos-528.jpg

kling-pretos-529.jpg

kling-pretos-532.jpg
    JES
    Guess what?

yup, exactly. . . . .

kling-pretos-534.jpg

oops that's a bit dark. Another sans all that shading crap. Maybe I should look at lighting it so these dark areas key out. Then again maybe not. . . . . . . .

kling-pretos-535.jpg

kling-pretos-536.jpg

kling-pretos-537.jpg

kling-pretos-538.jpg
    JES
    Added some sub panels around the front, dunno about them might undo it all.

kling-pretos-539.jpg

kling-pretos-540.jpg

kling-pretos-541.jpg
    JES
  • rojrenrojren2292 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,968Member
    It looks good from the bottom, a little less good from the side.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1988 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    I like the extra plating. Makes it look like their weapons are even more potent that it needs the extra plating.
    Second layer of panels, a bit too scattershot so I will likely redo it all. Can see how I worked from the front backwards and then I started looking at it as a whole more than attempting to replicate similar shapes elsewhere on the ship. Clearly my panels here are much finer than elsewhere a bit of a gaf due to the time period between the old stuff and now. (2yrs or more?)

kling-pretos-546.jpg
    JES
    Updated panels and a few more.

kling-pretos-549.jpg

kling-pretos-550.jpg

kling-pretos-551.jpg

ran off another distance render with low lighting IE only 1 main light rest is FG GI off a hdr. Really shows how weak the paneling is so I might have to uh redo everything on the blister. . . . . . .

kling-pretos-552.jpg
    JES
  • EBOLIIEBOLII203 Posts: 359Member
    Looks fantastic! diggin the spine feel of the neck. Probably the most menacing design you have ever made. Well done

Been awhile I know. What pc spec's are you running these days? Still Maya platform?