Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAndor Class Ship

bbeltbbelt0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2016 in Work in Progress #1
I am almost finished with another ship that I have been working on. It is the Andor class ship that was featured in the FASA starfleet role playing game. I am nearly completed with it and wanted to post this hear to get some feed back on the design before I start using it for renders.

AndorBottom_4_29_16.jpg

AndorTop_4_29_16.jpg

AndorOrtho.jpg

I have already did some improvements on the neck area between the saucer and weapons pods. There is some extra texture work I need to do; but beyond that, let me know if you all have any suggestions.
110558.jpg
110559.jpg
110560.jpg
Post edited by bbelt on
Tagged:

• uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    Nice renders. I like the separation between the saucer and pods.

In someways it almost has Cardassian lines.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,285Member
    It's interesting, but why are the nacelles inside and so close to each other? I think if they stuck out, maybe above or below those pylons, it would feel more Star Trek.
  • bbeltbbelt0 Posts: 0Member
    uniderth: According to the description given for the ship, it was designed by Andorian engineers for Starfleet so it should have a bit of an alien look to it while still remaining Starfleet.

BlueNeumann: I know the nacelles are in a peculiar place and does not fit into the rules of a Star Trek ship. The real world explanation for this is the people who created these ships for FASA just started kitbashing the movie designs into different configuration to get unique looking ships. From what I can tell, they either ignored or did not know of the rules set by Gene Roddenberry. My "in universe" explanation is that the Andorian engineers moved the nacelles in close to the hull to both mirror the design of their own ships, and give them better protection during battle. However the trade off is a slower top warp speed.

Like with the Enterprise J and the Akira, I am first going to do a faithful adaptation of the ship, then I will do variations including one that fits within the rules. I have planned to do a shuttle carrier version next since I see that the whole ship has swappable parts.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I've never cared for FASA designs, they don't have much sense of balance. You're work here is great, though.

The top and bottom views immediately made me think of Cardassian ships.

In terms of changes, I would move the nacelles up above the saucer and the bring them forward some. Possibly the could go directly above those long pylon things, connected with struts similar to the Miranda class. I'd also possibly bring the secondary hull up and fit it between the two pods. That should balance things out a bit more.
  • FANGsFANGs414 Posts: 79Member
    Excellent technical interpretation, bbelt! I like it.
    I would suggest playing around with the size of the ship: Maybe make it a bit smaller, which demands resizing the bridge (maybe change the bridgedome to the ("first") NX 2000 dome. Maybe Thorndike was involved in this design, too? (German synchronisation of Star Trek III - Uhuras comment "Would you look at that!", regarding the Excelsior, got replaced by "Thorndikes idea!")
    You also could compare the "andorian-elements" of this design to the Kumari design and adjust the Andor class a little bit in this direction. Recurring design-elements ftw ;-)
  • floodcasso2floodcasso2259 Posts: 124Member
    KUDOS! This is the first FASA-esque ship I've ever found interesting. This is pretty cool!
  • SconekSconek0 Posts: 0Member
    it's interesting, but why are the nacelles inside and so close to each other? I think if they stuck out, maybe above or below those pylons, it would feel more Star Trek.

In the FASA RPG, the Andor (and other nacelle-inside ships) by the Andorians were described as having the nacelles strategically placed to be more difficult to target, as well as enhanced superstructure surrounding them to prevent them from being blown off by a lucky torpedo shot. In a sense, the best way to get a nacelle hit was to come in directly aft of the ship (and put yourself in direct fire of 2 photon torpedo launchers). (See FASA Star Trek: RPG Federation Ship Recognition Manual, ca. 1985) To quote, "Like the Thufir Class destroyer, the warp engines are mounted close together and center aft of the main hull. This affords the engines more protection during battle because of the partial cover provided by the secondary hull. As with all Star Fleet vessels, the engines can be jettisoned in case of an overload in the matter/anti-matter chamber."

The idea is sound because it does follow some of the Roddenberry rules. 1) there is no superstructure between the nacelles. 2) the nacelles are distanced from crew. 3) there are an even number of nacelles (unlike dreadnoughts, which are usually shown with 3). While it can be argued that the warp field is tighter due to the closer placement, it also makes for a bit of a problem with the Bussard collectors at the fore of the nacelles. However, they were supposedly designed to have the collectors cover more of the top and bottom of the forward cone of the nacelles, to pull in matter from above and below to compensate.

I personally fell in love with commanding an Andor and wish there was such an option in STO.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    Nice to see FASA designs getting some love! Great work!