Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Looking very nice, I like the uneven stacking of the windows. Knowing the paranoid Tholians, the command center would be in the middle of the ship, as protected as possible.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9696 Posts: 5,299Member
    yeah there is enough room for sealed decks between windows.

Some details around the windows and the hull around. Shield grids bumps and what not. Also unifying a lot of objects and eliminating a lot of stuff behind other objects. Example the central hull with the windows were 3 separate objects now it is a cloned section mirrored and then cloned as a triad that when I complete the model will be welded into a singular object. Also chamfered up some things and added smaller details. I think at this point it is just going to be small details like grids and vents and decal like things. I am not sure if I will unwrap this model. I do need to unify enough of it as a single object to break it apart later and allow building of framework etc for internals.

tholian-cruiser-054.jpg

tholian-cruiser-055.jpg

tholian-cruiser-056.jpg
    JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Some small updates.

tholian-cruiser-057.jpg

tholian-cruiser-058.jpg
    JES
    Bit of something extra made with a wip render.

tholian-cruiser-059b.jpg
    JES
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Cool stuff. Your detailing brings this thing to life.
    How I suffered when the Bombay was destroyed... :(

That "test render" looks great though.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1988 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    Oh wow. That looks fantastic.
    Taking a small break from the tholian for the refitting of the Daedalus. I might be getting ahead on this as I have not read the individual stories for this ship yet so there might be unique changes made to it in story that I do not know about. Avoiding the wikis some as those have spoiled ship outcome and story in the past for me.
    Mostly pulling out old things I would think they do not have off the shelf parts for like RCS assemblies and sensor packets. Also changed out the docking collars, not sure if I will keep the pressure ring or not though as these were intended as extending ports. (least the sphere ones are)

lovell-007.jpg

lovell-008.jpg

lovell-009.jpg
    JES
  • rojrenrojren2292 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,968Member
    Your Daedalus is one of my very favorite ships.
    Working on the nacelles, new endcaps added radiators and simplifying the matter processors and including a hull covering over some of it. Still not sure exactly what I will do with the openings or business ends on the inner facing nacelles. I thought to just add a grill and be done with it but Maybe the intercooler (or whatever the piping between and down the length of the warp coils) bits there would get changed out? I would have loved to just extend the nacelle housing forward for those field pods (old silver things behind the gold rings) but unless I extend from the panel break just behind the brackets it would be cutting into structure of the nacelle vs a retrofit. Think of it like cutting into the frame of a car to shorten or lengthen something on it other than changing out or bolting onto a existing panel.

lovell-012.jpg

lovell-013.jpg

lovell-014.jpg
    JES
    changed up the docking ports more and messing with surfacing to show the unmatched panels and patches. Panels are a altered material while the patches are modeled in and using a metallic finish. I would expect patches as explained as panels are only available if they can be stripped from a junker in a shipyard and shipped to whatever starbase the Lovell would arrive at. This is where a off finish would come from cause they applied a replacement panel without repainting or coating it.

lovell-016.jpg
    JES
    Some more rcs and some donkey marks. Started one of the SCE books and it seems the ship is more dilapidated than Vanguard let on. IE bare metal on most of the ship visual claims that struts appear to be off an older ship (dunno how such a structural thing can be swapped out though. It is not like they are a bolt on dish on your roof. In real vehicles something like a nacelle the strut is going to have framework that is entirely structural and likely if fatigued enough to be damaged or cut off means junking the spaceframe. SO with that said I am tempted to ignore this bit of info.

NOW with that said I am thinking I might not be able to avoid having to UVW the ship. Saying this it makes me a bit meh as it means loads of work and itll only apply to this model. Where if I uvw unwraped here prior to all this I could just modify things. So I am considering if I should go UVW then attempt to try to apply those unwraps to the modified objects.

lovell-017.jpg

lovell-018.jpg

lovell-021.jpg

lovell-022.jpg
    JES
    Linear fusion stack vs the crystal, pipes for the nacelles and some early work on added on panels to the central hump.

lovell-024.jpg
    JES
    Decided to get around to swapping out the registry markings. Forgot to unhide the interiors hence the dark rooms.

lovell-028.jpg

lovell-029.jpg

lovell-030.jpg
    JES
    More add on boxes and some missing panels and bits exposed. Also swapped out a sensor dish to a off brand one. Thinking this is a SCE ship they are not on long missions and would not have as much need as a sustenance arboretum and that workshop space would be of more importance. Not to mention larger stowage for gear, and junk. I would guess too that crew are much lower than when the ship was a explorer or warship thus more shops or storage as well. Id expect a lot of blown out walls and floors in this thing. With bits fused on and pulled off or swapped out or bypassed.

lovell-036.jpg

lovell-037.jpg
    JES
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1988 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    More add on boxes and some missing panels and bits exposed. Also swapped out a sensor dish to a off brand one. Thinking this is a SCE ship they are not on long missions and would not have as much need as a sustenance arboretum and that workshop space would be of more importance. Not to mention larger stowage for gear, and junk. I would guess too that crew are much lower than when the ship was a explorer or warship thus more shops or storage as well. Id expect a lot of blown out walls and floors in this thing. With bits fused on and pulled off or swapped out or bypassed.

lovell-036.jpg

lovell-037.jpg

As my repair shop once told me, the last thing you want is to get the mechanic's loaner car cause they never have time to work on their own when they're working on everyone else's.

This is definitely getting that feel. Love it.
    Well the books lend the opinion they spend a lot of time doing nothing between locations, and so results are a crew in its entirety screwing with the ship and anything in or on it. All without a thought to appearance. Other thing can be said about a mechanics car is often it is a rolling WIP. Something will always be half on the floor.

Todays updates, not much moved some phasers about as I decided there were too many even if none were paired units. So, 10 emitters total, I might pull more off later on. Most everything else is just fooling with materials and some patch panels. Attempting to dirty up the metallic finishes on replaced panels on the ship. I still think to best represent this ship I will have to texture her properly.

lovell-039.jpg

lovell-040.jpg
    JES
    Well, one of the books stats crew of 47. So that gives some credence to my thoughts.

Back to the Tholian. Mostly grills out back and a resize and rework of the plasma cannon/torpedo. I wanted to bring the front to more of a point than it was. I am debating how I want to show a crystalline look Either by panels of bits like the Tholian logo
    tholian-cruiser-061.jpg

tholian-cruiser-062.jpg
    JES
    Didnt get much done except fool with material sand add in some glowly knobs to control the plasma stuff.

tholian-cruiser-064.jpg

tholian-cruiser-065.jpg
    JES
    More not so much work done update! lol. The heat has been insufferable and worse due to house AC and window ac both konking out and no 400usd to get a new one. As for the updates eh it is mostly decal like markings and I am not sure I like them either. Thought was to get more of the hull material on those field knob things (bits with the nav lights in) And to get those bits with the disruptors in to be a bit less flat block. Thought is these are like defroster lines but being re-enforced deflector grids to strengthen up the shields around the weapons. I might extrude in/out some of this stuff too. Either way more text than updates so far.

tholian-cruiser-069.jpg

tholian-cruiser-070.jpg
    JES
    Bit of a teaser. . . . PITA to map this all out as much is hinted at or too generic to locate. Not to mention deck calls that cannot really exist without doing strange things.

miranda-tos-362a.jpg
    JES
    Roughly filling in the bits. Kinda getting carried away as there are bits for areas that wont show. Bits lacking materials are sorta color coded. Pink is crew compartments, shafts etc. There are 2 rooms with dual access to a single foor room above and below leading to a lengthwise tunnel. These are to be empty during operation, only the machine rooms would be manned. Fuchsia, are conduit or plasma piping. Purple is waste plasma, bit that flush to empty the nacelle. Blue is coolant related stuff.

Again this is all rough as I want to fill things in before modeling up any fancy framework.

miranda-tos-377.jpg

miranda-tos-378.jpg
    JES
    Love what you're doing here and the lengths you're going to reproduce the scene from the book. I'd say the blown out nacelle would look a lot more dramatic.

Can you tell us what the project is, or is that a secret? :D
    Sorry, accidentally double posted.
    Some stuff I meant to post earlier but forgot. Seems I did not get anything done today sheesh.

miranda-tos-390.jpg

miranda-tos-391.jpg

Dunno if I can say as it might or might not go anywhere. Wont know until late july aug I think.
    JES
    Ok a quickie of the catwalk, the blue block shows the airtight space. Maybe most of the nacelle could be airtight but the main catwalk will be its own seal area. Of course the space the blue is would be machine spaces pipes cables etc while the inner core would just be paneled or open. The bulkhead wont be orange just orange to highlight it. I have argued over if I should evenly space the nacelle frames along the length or not. ATM they are based on access to conduit and the coil groups. The hardest part is the inconsistent shape along the length but thus is life ne? Anyhow green box is a 3X3X6ft object to give an idea of a larger person vs my little girl. I really need to get some redshirts vs red jacket loli.

miranda-tos-392.jpg

Well shoot forgot to post this so I already spaced the frames evenly. . . . . feh.

miranda-tos-393.jpg
    JES
    Lots of bracing and small alterations, planning to deal with the non uniform braces by creating a bulkhead that goes from round to the uneven shapes like seen on that aft "thing" in the last image. Might punch dome holes int it too.

miranda-tos-395.jpg

miranda-tos-396.jpg

miranda-tos-398.jpg

miranda-tos-399.jpg

miranda-tos-400.jpg

miranda-tos-401.jpg
    JES
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    I haven't been in this thread for a long time, awesome models MadKoiFish
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Astounding level of details. I don't even think the 3D in the movies and TVs goes this far...unless they need to. Even so, most ship destruction are mostly a generic explosion.
    Well idea is this is afterwords, and generally still so people can mull it over. Covering my bases and taking the time as I have it right now. Also gotta outdo what I had done before.

More bracing I doubt anyone will see. . . lol And then clean up and unifying the forms of the ribbing and the start of unifying them and connecting them with spars. I could use the lengthwise objects I had but I just did not like the overlapping bits. Even though the plan is to rip this apart and having more objects would make things easier to tear open and distort. Also KIM some of the spacing will be filled up with layers of panels insulation and devices,. Such as the shield grid and other sensor/energy grids. AND no I do not follow the emitter based shield systems where it is a physical object or point source. I follow that shields are an array of networked systems in the hull itself or located across the hull. IE main shield generators are those ribbed white silver things in the nacelle.

The planned damage is going to mostly be the second stage of warp coils from where the forward intercooler drops back into the hull damage will go the length and end near that copper ribbed thing is as that is a large solid mass it'll likely be poking out of the blown off bit.
    miranda-tos-403.jpg

miranda-tos-404.jpg

miranda-tos-405.jpg

miranda-tos-407.jpg

Final image shows those annoying in-going emergency plasma vents, these would stop plasma from running the length of the nacelle and through the coil system. IE a bypass. I really hate where I put them, bloody things are really getting in the way of stuff.

1701-701.png

1701-702.png
    wires of the old stuff to give an idea.
    JES