Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalMoebius Models 1:350 U.S.S. Franklin WIP Thread

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
Got a question you guys maybe could help me figure out. The torpedo launcher area on Moebius' Franklin is not at all accurate. So I have modeled a 3d model replacement I intend to 3d print through shapeways.

However, for it to fit, I need to know the incline on the bulkhead the back attaches too. If we consider the saucer surface 0 degrees, How can I figure out the incline as shown blow? Anyone have any ideas on how to find the exact incline off 90 degrees that it is on the kit? I will then model the back of my 3d launcher to match.

SdlVYa1.jpg

zT2mkJC.jpg

eFOL0Wy.jpg

1QWKsFy.jpg
112191.jpg
Tagged:

• rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    An inclinometer app for your cellphone?
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Haha, was expecting this one given your comments on Reddit :)

Wouldn't it be easier to print it out without an exact angle, and then use some sandpaper on it 'till it fits perfectly?
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Sorry, the image I drew, I should have drawn another way, I wasn't thinking. I actually just needed the incline off of the saucer bottom. I used an incline meter on my phone and came up with 50?. I have modified the 3d model to reflect that. I've already placed an order with Shapeways and should have the part in 2 weeks. :/

Vj9tuay.jpg
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    My bottom hull torpedo launcher 3d print arrived. Neat! It's a small thing, but it's cool since I've never made my own 3d printed part before. I don't have the hull connecting angle right, so I'll have to adjust, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. The detail is crisp, the size is correct, there are no print lines, and it looks much closer to the movie. I wish I had gotten the hull connecting angle right on the first go, but ya know, almost nothing is ever right he first time.

I'll have to do some cutting away of material on the actual kit to fit it, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Dvu7v6N.jpg

vVQH2qW.jpg