Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWildcat-Class Starship

RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
edited April 2019 in Work in Progress #1
tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1554594988

Despite some trepidation, I felt a bit forced by real life to take on another commission while still working on my current one. Depending on how well this goes, will it become something regular or not.

Slybrarian commissioned me to create a 3D model for his Wildcat-Class starship. It's been a long time since I did any ship, and it'll be my first one on Blender, so I'm exited for this one.

s2_by_rekkert-dc2bnaq.png
s3_by_rekkert-dc2bnax.png
s4_by_rekkert-dc2bnb5.png
112165.jpg
Post edited by Rekkert on
For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I've added the superstructure directly below the bridge, and started with the shuttlebay area. I've also worked on the phaser banks and nacelle caps.

c3_03_by_rekkert-dc2exn7.pngc3_02_by_rekkert-dc2exmv.png
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Nice work so far! I like the unique transition between the NX bow deflector and what I also considered to be Deflector and/or Sensor equipment on the 1701...
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    nice ship
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Nice. It looks like basically a slightly modified FASA Loknar?
    @Starscream: Thanks! Haha, I usually consider those three things to be windows, but Slybrarian clearly agrees with you on their purpose. :lol:

@SATR: Thanks!

@BolianAdmiral: Thank you. Yeah, the Loknar, NX, and Frankin were all inspirations for this design. However, in Slybrarian's own words, the Wildcat is a bit beefier.

I've done the basic bridge structure, as well as the impulse engines and shuttlebay doors.

c1_03_by_rekkert-dc2lzp8.png
    c3_04_by_rekkert-dc2lzp1.png
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That's some really clean modelling.

I like what you have so far but those nacelles are way to small for the ship.
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    That's some really clean modelling.

I like what you have so far but those nacelles are way to small for the ship.

That's probably mostly a perspective effect. The nacelles are similar proportionately to the NX, and are about the same size as the TOS Constitution's. In fact the ship overall is only a little larger than the Connie in volume. The saucer is wider and thicker but the catamarans just barely make up for the engineering section.
  • WideFootWideFoot83 Posts: 81Member
    I always felt that the NX nacelles were too small for that ship too. It struck me as bizzare that when they see the Defiant displaced in time that they marvel at the size of the nacelles. Generally, shouldn't technology get smaller over time? The NX really should have had big, blandly cylindrical nacelles with bits seemingly bolted to the outside. (But I could rant for days about the NX...)

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think the size of nacelles (and their diameter especially) should be correlated to the size of the saucer and then made smaller based on how far below the saucer they are compared to the total height of the ship. Consider the JJ-Prise vs. the oberth. Big saucer/big nacelles vs. little saucer/little nacelles, and the engineering sections of those ships vary wildly as a percentage of total volume.

So, if this ship has a larger, heavier saucer than the 1701 with nacelles mounted above the saucer, then the nacelles should be beefier than the Enterprise's probably in the same proportion as the saucer is beefier
    I've worked on the windows for deck 2, as well as on the pylons and nacelles. I've actually checked and indeed, made the nacelles just a tiny bit thicker as they were too thin when compared to slybrarian's original model.

c1_04_by_rekkert-dc3ldi4.png
    c3_05_by_rekkert-dc3ldhu.png
    I believe I'm pretty much done modeling the nacelles. I've also added some further details on the saucer section and started placing the ship's name on top of the saucer.

c3_06_by_rekkert-dc3uhmz.png
    c3_07_by_rekkert-dc3uhn3.png
    Finished with the registry, and started adding some lights around the ship. I've also swapped the texture for the windows and added more life to them. Finally, more details are added all over the saucer section.

c3_08_by_rekkert-dc3wsqc.png
    c3_09_by_rekkert-dc3wsqm.png
    c3_10_by_rekkert-dc3wsr4.png
    I've finished with the windows placements, added the torpedo tubes, some more lights, and the docking port behind the bridge.
    c3_11_by_rekkert-dc4axhk.png
    c3_12_by_rekkert-dc4axi2.png
    c3_15_by_rekkert-dc4axj6.png

Also, here are some renders showing the self illumination so far:
    c3_13_by_rekkert-dc4axig.png
    c3_14_by_rekkert-dc4axis.png
    I've added the final modeled details, including all the markings, an RCS thruster on the nacelles, the docking port on the saucer edge, and the remaining lights.

c3_16_by_rekkert-dc4e5y8.png
    c3_17_by_rekkert-dc4e5zn.png
    c3_18_by_rekkert-dc4e611.png
    Looks nice. I love those TOS-era markings, and it's cool you added visible RCS thrusters, which were never visible on TOS ships, lol.
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! The idea Slybrarian had regarding details was to be 'TOS plus', similar to some of the re-imaginings we've seen of the TOS Enterprise. A lot of further details will be added via textures.

I forgot to add the ready room/conference room windows, so I added them in, I've also turn some of the windows off, as well as started UV mapping and working on the textures on the saucer.

c3_18_by_rekkert-dc4fjx0.png
    Finished with the texture for the saucer. I'm using 4 maps here: one for the base color, one adding some pearlessence, one for roughness, and one normal map.

c3_19_by_rekkert-dc4ibzv.png
    c3_20_by_rekkert-dc4ic01.png
    I've done the texture for the bottom part of the saucer, now I'll move to the catamarans. I'll also add some textures to the copper bits (domes and deflector), but I'll probably leave those little areas for last.

c3_21_by_rekkert-dc5a0jv.png
    UV mapped the secondary hull, and started working on its texture. I've also added some subtle red stripes on the torpedo launchers to make them a bit more visible.

c3_22_by_rekkert-dc5glhi.png
    The primary color textures for the catamarans are now complete. I'll do the primary textures for the rest of the ship before moving onto the specular and other maps.

c3_23_by_rekkert-dc6asse.png
    c3_24_by_rekkert-dc6assv.png
    Finished UV mapping and doing the first texture pass on the rest of the ship:

c3_25_by_rekkert-dc6ojin.png
    c3_26_by_rekkert-dc6ojit.png
    c3_27_by_rekkert-dc6ojj1.png
    c3_28_by_rekkert-dc6ojj9.png
    The ship's finished! Stay tuned for more renders :)

c3_29_by_rekkert-dc6xavf.png
    c3_30_by_rekkert-dc6xavq.png
    c3_31_by_rekkert-dc6xawa.png
    Here are some orthographic views and renders. It's been a while since I rendered ships, and the first time I do it on Blender. :)

nebula_survey_by_rekkert-dc75utf.png
    uss_wildcat_in_orbit_by_rekkert-dc75utu.png
    wildcat_class_orthographic_views_by_rekkert-dc75uuc.png
    I've started another ship commission for Slybrarian, the USS Stormcrow. I've decided to carry on using this thread rather than create another for each separate ship.

Here's the overall design schematic:
    tadeo-d-oria-stormcrow-main.jpg?1554594994

And here's the start of the 3D model. Per our conversation, a lot of the details have been reworked since the schematic was made, and the ship has a more Discovery feel to it:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1554594988
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Nice and tidy start. I'd maybe move the nacelles up or down a little to make the struts a little less planar, but I'm not much of a trek designer. :p

(Let's see, if I can remove the necropost tag real quick)
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    The flatness of the pylons is a callback to the Discovery's design, and to a less extent the classic four-nacelle designs.
    Guerrilla
    I like the design so far. Interested to see where this goes!
    @Guerrilla: Thanks! Saw that necro tag and was scared a bit haha

I've modeled some more bits on the ship but mostly I've worked on the UV and started with the texures. I went very heavy on the Disco style but this might be modified later.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1554840725
    Lizzy777ashleytinger
    I've finished modeling and UV mapping of the ship, and I'm starting adding some of the hull details. Colors, as ever, might change.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-03.jpg?1558653114
    Lizzy777ashleytingerFreak
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    I think you need an extra gridline in the saucer. You have two close ones, then a big gap and then another. Looks a bit unbalanced. I would also remove the lines going to the saucer, but that's just personal preference. Also some of the edges are maybe a bit too smooth? Otherwise, I like the design. Nice nacelles as well :)
    The gridlines are tied to the deck spacing, so while they look uneven from the top, from the side they are spaced evenly.