Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDefiant Class in Blender

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
edited January 2018 in Work in Progress #1
Well, Summer is getting on and Fall is coming. My wife is going back to work, and my son is getting ready to go back to school. To me all that means one thing: time to get back to my favorite hobby. This season my first project is going to be the Defiant Class. I figure she should be a good warm up and not prove too difficult as far as the basic build goes.

I'm a huge fan of the Defiant class. I was unsure how I felt about her at first, but her style really won me over in the end. I'm getting near the end of the rough modeling. I know there's quite a few fans of this class, so feel free to point out any problems you see.

TGd31vl.png

VVKlc9g.png

B9SwO1u.png

osoj72i.png
112117.jpg
Post edited by Polaris 004 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. I'm a fan of this design, but not enough to point out if there are any mistakes. The shapes look good to me.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Thanks, evil genius 180. Glad you're still here on the boards doing your thing...

The build seems to be going very well. I'm comparing several different diagrams and cgi models I found online, but that's mostly for the proportions. I'm using studio model photographs for the detailing. For her length, I went with 120 meters, which was the best, most convincing number I could find online. (There is a LOT of mixed messages out there concerning her length.)

KVlFM3I.jpg

mtKDfCB.jpg

zXkFeBn.jpg

lmxGbEL.jpg

Not much else to say here, as the build seems to be proceeding without much difficulty. :)
    Looking really good. :)

Yeah, DS9 has a LOT of scaling issues, as they had a mix of studio models and CGI and nobody could seem to make anything consistent. However, 120m is definitely a good length for this ship. If I remember correctly, the decks fit nicely at that length.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Not rendering in Cycles?
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looking really good. You seem to have the deflector shape right, but something about the nose in those top views looks off. A little broad and flat, maybe.
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Looking good so far!
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Looking really good. You seem to have the deflector shape right, but something about the nose in those top views looks off. A little broad and flat, maybe.

Yeah, you are definitely right. I'm missing a crucial taper or two up on the top of the nose, and where the nose connects with the rest of the hull. Good catch. I'll try to work it out.

psCargile wrote: »
    Not rendering in Cycles?

For my purposes, I find it takes my computer too long to work in cycles. I like the results better, but I just don;t have the computer time needed. I sometimes make another version of my models, using cycles, to use for still shots.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    I'm running Blender on a HP Pavilion laptop I bought in 2013, 4 threads, all CPU, and I've recently found the good values for sampling and light clamping that will let me render good results in less than an hour. Cycles was very frustrating when I first started using it because I wasn't sure what to adjust to get the results I wanted. It's a trial and error process.
    I'm running Blender on a HP Pavilion laptop I bought in 2013, 4 threads, all CPU, and I've recently found the good values for sampling and light clamping that will let me render good results in less than an hour. Cycles was very frustrating when I first started using it because I wasn't sure what to adjust to get the results I wanted. It's a trial and error process.

Yeah, I definitely had a similar experience with it. I really like the way the results look, but it's such a time sink. For the general goofing off I'm doing it seems like overkill. But if I ever get better at this I may take Cycles more seriously.
    Latest pics. I think I sorted out the deflector snout pretty well. These colors are temporary; I'm just laying out all the panel shapes. Still have a lot of details to model, too. But nonetheless, she's going pretty fast...

LjpEo3T.jpg

uo5FHrr.jpg

55gNCV8.jpg

LjpEo3T.jpg
    Looks like you've got that nose down. Great work so far.

You've probably found these, but just in case you haven't, here's a link to some hi-rez pictures of the studio model.
    http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=9903

Which raises an interesting question, are you going to model or texture the deflector detail? :p
    Really nice work. :thumb:
    Looks like you've got that nose down. Great work so far.

You've probably found these, but just in case you haven't, here's a link to some hi-rez pictures of the studio model.
    http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=9903

Which raises an interesting question, are you going to model or texture the deflector detail? :p
    Really nice work. :thumb:

Thanks, Evil!

Vortex, those are the very pics I'm working off of for all the details and greebles and such. Great pics, so lucky to have them.

I will probably model all the little details I can. I like physically modeling stuff and dislike messing with textures very much. The Deflector will most likely be all modeled details.

Here's a quick update shot. Starting to mess with the panel lines/deflector grid.

7z4URXw.jpg
    Okay, steady progress on this lady. Fairly pleased with the results so far.

fYf5bZJ.jpg

Still have some physical details to add to the underside and the entire aft section.

Ue3zj1A.jpg

The lines underneath the deflector "snout" are too wide. They will have to be re-done.

EIfx7in.jpg

She's still got bare shoulders.

7z4URXw.jpg

Not far to go for this angle.

w6LTnPJ.jpg

Basic Modeling for the deflector seems under control.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Coming along great. Good looking detail work so far. :thumb:
    Great stuff. Will you be modelling the insides of the nacelle housings like the physical model had?
    Great stuff. Will you be modelling the insides of the nacelle housings like the physical model had?

Yes, that is my intention. The blue material behind the screen will be transparent and we will see the interior greebles within the nacelles. I'm not a big fan of those particular greebles, however. I always thought the interior space looked sorta weirdly empty. Part of me wants to see if I can come up with something better. But then creating greebles from scratch has never been my strong suit.
    Not rendering in Cycles?

Yeah, I guess I am now. I looked at a few tutorials and figured out some stuff... it's definitely time to get on board. Way past time in fact.

For your viewing pleasure, My defiant model rendered in Blender Cycles:

OvcqmXp.jpg

Can't even believe the difference cycles makes.

bFig7Vn.jpg

She's maybe about 80-85% done. Not too much longer now...

Trying to learn cycles is going to slow me down a bit, but it's definitely worth it.

KmQYkeQ.jpg

Time to finish the modeling up...
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    WOW! Really nice job! I think you nailed it! :thumb:
    Pulling this girl back out to work on. Never finished her, so I'm trying to take her the final lap before I get busy again:

4bUnTlS.jpg

HVVsRGw.jpg

r51nUl6.jpg

EFdK2dB.jpg

ohWEgbg.jpg

rgD8t3H.jpg

oUlRTJt.jpg

I produced two different Registries for her. Not sure I like the name Audacious any more. Maybe a bit too cute?

I thinks she's about done. Just need to let her sit a while. Then I'll clean the mesh and produce the orths. She was a fun ship to build....
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Hey, nice to see you back in action!

Between the two I actually prefer Audacious, but both are cool. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Yay! You're back. Nice to see an update. :)