Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Thanks. I'm going to be taking some liberty with it, adding more small greeble detail than the original model. This was true of the actual K'tinga models in STTMP. Closeups of the engines and back portions of the ship were other models with a lot more detail.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, I know a model was built after the show but, as no canon model actually exists, there's actually some room for liberties. I used to follow John Eaves' blog when he was still updating it and he said once that he likes it when people take his designs and do their own version of them. :)
    Here's an example on the front dome. (Note: This Front render is now updated in a later post).
  • CJB-94CJB-940 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good, liking the small greebles on the head. Looking forward to seeing what that torpedo launcher looks like.
    Here's an example on the front dome. Not done yet

I like the direction you're going with that. It fits with other Klingon ships.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Good work all around Brandenberg!
    The greebles you put on the klingon D4 is a nice addition! Go ahead!!
    For a second time I replaced the image of the front above with an improved image. The side and front low render are replaced in a later post. Same image
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice, love this Klingon Ship.
    That's a whole lot of styrene chips on the engines. Looks great. :)
  • Very cool mesh, so far.
    IA’m curious about the final version.
    Thanks everyone. This has been a fun project. A closeup of the bridge detail. I'm still refining this, but it is closer.

This is an updated Picture.
    111644.jpg
    Here are updated images of all previously posted. Updates include, lots of Klingon greebles on the front and back of the ship. Hull plating on the main body. Engine work. Improved engine mounts from the body and a lot of work on the rear. I also added more of the stringers.
    111640.png111641.png111642.png111643.png
    I have been working on UV mapping and a lot more structural detail. The images above are replaced.
    I should add that I am aware that the paint needs considerable work. I've been UV mapping and applying color, but the paint itself, will be improved.
    I'm working on paint and shine realism. There is more to do. This render also has some main engine work. Detail inside a translucent engine cover.
    111701.png111702.png
    Looking great. Are you using Radiosity or just positioned lights for the glowy bits lighting the hull?
    Lightwave lets you turn up "Luminosity" on a colored structure, but it does not cause reflected light. For the realism you then have to add the appropriate light source (in the right color) to its rendering engine (Referred to as "Layout") so that the structure marked as luminous really appears to be radiating light. The appropriate light sources are in different forms. I use "spherical" for the little clearance lights because you can designate how far the light shines and a mathematical dropoff. I'm using an "Area" light which is like a panel, back on the warp engines and angled as the engines are. One on each side. of each engine. Actually most of the lights have a mathematical dropoff option.

Other lights include, "dome," "distant" (for sun or starlight), "linear," "point," "Photometric," "Ngon," and "spotlight." To be honest, addling lights in layout is kind of a pain. I like lightwave, it's what I've learned how to use, it's reasonably priced, but it has it's moments of aggravation. :)
    Oh, question. Is the skin panel specularity on the forward bridge area, too much, too little or just right? I haven't done it on the neck or body yet.

Also, any comment on the liberties I've taken with the original ship. I've tried to remain true to the geometry but just added detail to enhance realism. Good, bad, could be better?
    Yeah, you may want to tone down that spec map a bit. Though, if you plan to add weathering, it may go down on its own. The details on the model look good. :)
    Lightwave lets you turn up "Luminosity" on a colored structure, but it does not cause reflected light. For the realism you then have to add the appropriate light source (in the right color) to its rendering engine (Referred to as "Layout") so that the structure marked as luminous really appears to be radiating light. The appropriate light sources are in different forms. I use "spherical" for the little clearance lights because you can designate how far the light shines and a mathematical dropoff. I'm using an "Area" light which is like a panel, back on the warp engines and angled as the engines are. One on each side. of each engine. Actually most of the lights have a mathematical dropoff option.

Other lights include, "dome," "distant" (for sun or starlight), "linear," "point," "Photometric," "Ngon," and "spotlight." To be honest, addling lights in layout is kind of a pain. I like lightwave, it's what I've learned how to use, it's reasonably priced, but it has it's moments of aggravation. :)

When I used it, (Lightwave 10) there was something in the render settings called Radiosity. When you turned that on, you got light coming from your objects with emission, as well as photon bounce and other nice things. (ambient occlusion could be turned on) It enhances the realism of a scene, but in Lightwave it does have issues in animation.
    I started work on a Klingon Transport.
    112024.png
    Replaced the image above.
    112025.png
    That looks good so far. Is that the one from Enterprise, or something original based off of ships from that era?
    Brandenberg
    Hey thanks e_g_180. Yes, It's the Drexler one (at least from his website) from Enterprise. In the image I used the engine from the D5 Tanker. Unfortunatly, after placing it, I discovered it was drastically shortened for this model, so I'm starting over on the engine. Eeesh.

I'm also starting a John Eaves Klingon cruiser like the one Tobias did for Star Trek Renegades.
    112031.png112032.png
    That's looking really cool so far too. :)
    Brandenberg
    Hi. I dropped off the site for a good while because I decided to try a new security software that indicated the old Sci-Fi Meshes website had security problems and it blocked me from logging in. I have missed the site.

I have long sense finished the above Klingon Transport from Enterprise so here it is.48n25jc799ts.png
    rojrenashleytingerLizzy777
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That turned out nice.
    Brandenberg
    Thank-you Freak.

I should have included these other two angles.
    olnux9jc6pgf.png
    m7mgl03wngi5.png
    Lizzy777
    edited May 2019 #119
    A more recent project is the Archer Enterprise. It is still a work in progress.
    In many ways it is the hardest model I've ever done.
    2bngp3g7wkc6.png

Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Lizzy777
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    These images look great!
    Brandenberg
    You're very kind. Thanks.