Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAshley's Star Trek WIP Thread

ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
edited February 2021 in Work in Progress #1
dd8yp1v-9b8f48cd-868b-4dc0-a3cf-8344c9e18bef.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGQ4eXAxdi05YjhmNDhjZC04NjhiLTRkYzAtYTNjZi04MzQ0YzllMThiZWYuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.kJEjtabthgFUnQcbH4W2ejGSqaaHYWD_PLDZ0tJXpgE

EDIT: New logo for thread. ;)

Rather than start a whole thread for each new thing, especially as I bounce around my work space a LOT, I figured I'd start with just one. All of my stuff is going to be alternate universe unless stated otherwise.

civilian_scout_ship_wip_11___liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbp7wyb.jpg

I'm currently working on the Liberty Class, both inside and out. I'll be honest, I'm much stronger with interiors, especially when I have blueprints than I am with exteriors. When the Liberty is done though she's going to be a full kit all laid out and ready to go. She's mainly built for civilians but could be outfitted for small patrol craft for Starfleet and police cruisers. With only 4 (or 5 depending on how you count crawl spaces) decks, 2 of which house anything of significance.

Breaks down like this

Saucer
Deck 1 Bridge
Deck 2 Core, medical, quarters, small cargo bay, mess, 3 person transporter, engineering
Deck 3 Science lab

Secondary Hull
Deck 3 Torpedo/Probe launcher, Cargo Bay, Shuttle bay and main airlock, Deuterium storage, warp nacelle access
Deck 4 maintenance access for Deflector

I do have a full bridge built for her already. It's not your standard bridge as this is more of a 'working class' ship. I borrowed parts of the design from the Hathaway/Enterprise C and the graphics are all based off the Motion Pciture bridge and the Enterprise Flight Manual. :)

civilian_scout_ship_wip_07___bridge_design_2_by_ashleytinger-dbl7vc7.jpg

That's the in progress when I was building it in Truespace (Yes I still use Truespace)

liberty_class_bridge_sf_forums_by_ashleytinger-dbplghn.jpg

And the imported bridge fully rendered and decked out in DAZ Studio 4.9.

More of this and my other work so far with other ships at my Deviantart page.
111975.jpg
Post edited by ashleytinger on
gmd3dJeffrySGcaveat_imperator

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Welcome to the forum. :) Nice work so far. Looking forward to seeing more. :thumb:
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I've been following you on DeviantArt. Hadn't realised that you weren't on this forum already. Welcome aboard.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Welcome, and beautiful work!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum. :) Nice work so far. Looking forward to seeing more. :thumb:

Thanks! I'll definitely be sharing more as I get a chance to work on things. :)
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    I've been following you on DeviantArt. Hadn't realised that you weren't on this forum already. Welcome aboard.

Thank you! Yeah I wasn't on many forums at all, kind of poking around here and there and decided to jump in.
    Welcome, and beautiful work!

Thanks very much :)
    civilian_scout_science_lab_wip_01_by_ashleytinger-dbpun8u.jpg

So I was planning on cutting windows into the saucer and ended up building out the bulk of the lab in deck 3 in like a day.

civilian_scout_ship_wip_12___liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbpuplo.jpg

Here's the exterior with the windows cut in. There's a slighter lower poly version of the set inside with the smaller items missing as you won't really see them anyway.

liberty_class_science_lab_sf_forums_by_ashleytinger-dbq0uzv.jpg

And I've got her imported into DAZ so have the start of some beauty shots. ;) Science lab is located on Deck 3 of the Liberty class. It's a room with options for the ship as it's a multi-purpose room and really depends on what you put into it. When a Liberty class is slated for construction, the default selection for this area is a Science Lab. It could also function as an observation deck with the right lounge equipment installed. Most Captains go for the Science Lab just to have that option when you're out in space on you're own and don't have back-up nearby.

This is the view looking into the forward window. More renders to come.
    liberty_class___wip_size_comparison_by_ashleytinger-dbq87sx.jpg

Did this up real quick. Both ships are a work in progress, obviously. This kind of gives you a size comparison of the Liberty to other Starfleet ships, in this case, the Galaxy Class.

The Liberty could actually fly right between the neck of the secondary hull and the warp nacelle and still have plenty of clearance. The reason parts of the Galaxy didn't render on this is that I hit the draw distance limit in Truespace. I'm working with real sizes, not scaled down ones at the moment.

civilian_scout_ship_wip_13_liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbqg8ja.jpg

I've been plugging away at the saucer section. It has 12 living quarters lining the exterior, each with a window. There's also a crew's mess in the bow, also with windows. The airlocks on either side aren't done yet but I'm working on some ideas. I think what I'll do for the exterior is have a set of retracting doors that reveal a flat area where a travel pod could dock with the standard starfleet airlock set-up underneath.

I started working out some of my warp engine details. They are far from done, but I did lower them on the secondary hull a little bit. I'm toying with an idea I've seen from the super cars where they're using an electric engine alongside a gas powered engine but instead of making them fuel efficient they instead use the electric engine to boost the hell out of the gas engine's power. So what exactly does that mean? Along with the standard fusion powered Impulse Engines in the primary hull, the Liberty is going to have a set of experimental warp powered impulse engines built into the nacelles. It's an idea. We'll see how bulked up that looks when I put it on there.

Anyway, the saucer has windows and little rooms behind each of those windows with tables, chairs, food dispensers, beds, and off to the side room behind a wall a sonic shower and a toilet
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Cool to see you around these parts of the web, keep it up! :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like the Liberty class so far, great work. :)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Cool to see you around these parts of the web, keep it up! :)

Thank you! I definitely will! Want to eventually get to using the models/sets I've been building. ;)
    I really like the Liberty class so far, great work. :)

Thanks! She started out as kind of a throwaway ship for background fodder but there's a charm to her now and I want to do right by her. ;)
    Work continues on the Liberty

civilian_scout_ship_wip_14_liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbqvfrg.jpg

The saucer now has two airlocks on either side, both capable of hosting a travel pod. It's a tight fit, but it's a fit. :) I do have an option to move plates in to cover the airlock hatches because I thought I'd have to cut too much out of the saucer rim to get it to work, but I think she looks more... functional? this way. It feels more like a real ship to me, and let's be real, are you going to have yet another set of doors and mechanical parts that could gum up the works for a civilian vessel?

I think I'm done with the exterior of the saucer at this point. So from here I'm focusing on the back end of the Liberty.

civilian_scout_ship_wip_15_liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbqzlnk.jpg

Work has started on the secondary hull. I've tried a new smaller and sleeker looking deflector housing. This one makes it look more modular, like it's an option and not part of the standard build. You can see the old design hanging out off in the space below the new one. I'm not sold on it entirely yet. There are definitely things I like about both of them. I'm also working on new probe/torpedo launchers that aren't quite as set into the hull as the old ones. I might carve a bit into the hull for them as well but haven't decided yet on that either. I've got a lot more freedom to play with the back end and my imagination may actually be a bigger stumbling block than all the little details that went into the saucer.
    Nice work on the airlock. I also like the new deflector housing. :)
    Nice work on the airlock. I also like the new deflector housing. :)

Thank you! The airlocks had a lot more detail to them than I realized when I started them. lol I'm still not entirely sold on that new housing but it's growing on me really quickly.
    civilian_scout_ship_wip_16_liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbr6okz.jpg

I've done some tinkering with the Liberty's secondary hull and the overall shape. I also added the landing strip section for the shuttlebay but I need to smooth that out and figure out if I'm going clamshell or flat doors for the back end. Probably flat. In the new secondary hull I added two slots that you can fit mission pods into. In this case, the first pod is our standard deflector, unchanged from last time. I reworked my deflector housing though to be a cargo container. Haven't decided what type. The actual Knight Hawk won't use them and will just have a seal to keep the 'bugs and dirt' out of the attachment port on the hull. I did try coming up with a secondary hull design that covered the deflector more, but ultimately it felt too much like the Excelsior and the ship designers just aren't there yet when the Liberty was being laid out.

Exterior list still remaining: shuttlebay, civilian warp-capable shuttle, torpedo mounts/insets, proper nacelle struts with warp-powered impulse engines (more like vents that have been turned into almost boosters really), the 'warp core' that'll be visible in the front of the nacelles, and of course the nacelles themselves.

The interior list is... long

Work continues.
    Brandenberg
    Looking really good. I like the secondary hull and the deflector housing thing. I agree, deflectors of this time should be a bit more "in your face" than on later ships, where they're incorporated into the hull more.
    Looking really good. I like the secondary hull and the deflector housing thing. I agree, deflectors of this time should be a bit more "in your face" than on later ships, where they're incorporated into the hull more.

Thanks! It's a bit of a challenge getting something I'm happy with and this is getting there. Still don't think I'll be completely happy, but getting it to the 'That'll do, pig.' stage will help ease my mental annoyance. LOL.

As far as them sticking out in this time period, definitely agreeing with you there. They changed a bit as the series went on only really starting to be drawn into the hull more after the Enterprise Refit. I figure they're big, bulky, and stick out a bit to do their job just like the warp engines of the era.
    civilian_scout___liberty_class___corridor_wip_01_by_ashleytinger-dbrskg4.jpg

My week has been hella busy, and I was, but I was also on the phone for like 3 hours yesterday so I had some time to 'doodle' and the 'doodle' turned into full blown corridor sections. I've got a makeshift set-up here of the concentric and radial corridors for the Liberty. The doors won't ever be placed that close together with the exception of the Mess Hall and possibly around the airlock access which has two doors leading into it. This was just to test the corridor sections and the door placement. The colors are also not final. That's more for me for when I import it into DAZ and each one will be a separate material for easy set-up in DAZ. I'm planning a floor light fixture, one on the angle at the top, and one down the center. Each one will have it's own separate control though.

Like my Destroyer corridor, this one is set up to incorporate some of the Motion Picture theme elements from the corridors but is meant to be a bit simpler, so it would fit in with a more Original Series aesthetic. Obviously I'm kind of kicking it back even further with the doors the way they are to more like Enterprise, but I think it works. I did 'borrow' the ceiling panel from the corridor junction from my Connie corridor set. *shrugs*
    Looking good so far. :)

I'm glad you said you're rendering in Daz, because TrueSpace 3's rendering capabilities aren't that good. I know, I was a TrueSpace user for many years.
    Looking good so far. :)

I'm glad you said you're rendering in Daz, because TrueSpace 3's rendering capabilities aren't that good. I know, I was a TrueSpace user for many years.

Thank you! :)

If DAZ modeling program, Hexa-whatever it's called, was worth a damn (I've yet to use it once where it didn't lock up or crash out entirely while I was trying to use it), I'd probably be using that instead of Truespace cause I could import it directly into DAZ. I do love the stability and modeling know-how I have built into Truespace but you're right, it's render engine is... lacking. Yeah I fell in love with DAZ iRay capabilities. Takes a TON of the work out of it for me when I design the set to be self-lit. ;)
    I think I tried Hexagon, or whatever it's called, years ago for about 5 minutes. Didn't do much for me. ;)
    I think I tried Hexagon, or whatever it's called, years ago for about 5 minutes. Didn't do much for me. ;)

Pretty much the same. I exported something from DAZ once to it to modify it, it loaded up but the second I tried to do ANYTHING with the mesh... bam. I gave up after like 20 minutes. It was unusable.
    civilian_scout___liberty_class___deck_2_layout_wip_by_ashleytinger-dbrvk4k.jpg

Worked out a rough deck plan for Deck 2 to figure out where my internal rooms are going to go. This is a really rough layout and is obviously subject to change, but it's a starting point. Checkmarks are rooms that are definitely getting a 'set' built for use in DAZ. The others are more for placeholders but could be built if needed. I'm not expecting to need them myself.

civilian_scout___liberty_class___corridor_wip_02_by_ashleytinger-dbrzxhy.jpg

Made some changes and exported my corridor sections to DAZ for proper light testing and to make sure that I don't need to fix anything major. I'm not happy with the carpet I've got there but I'm not unhappy with it either. It may end up getting changed to the flat gray I made my flooring in the Connie and Destroyer sets I built. The corridor may get a different color other than the larger blue panels and I may reduce the overall lighting as well, but it gave me an idea how the mesh was holding up.
    Carpet is a pill to do, at least in my opinion. But, it doesn't look bad.

The deck layout looks good. Smart choice having the medical bay across the corridor from the transporter room. You can beam people up and rush them to sickbay, since beaming directly into an area wasn't a thing at that point.
    Carpet is a pill to do, at least in my opinion. But, it doesn't look bad.

The deck layout looks good. Smart choice having the medical bay across the corridor from the transporter room. You can beam people up and rush them to sickbay, since beaming directly into an area wasn't a thing at that point.

Yeah I'm still iffy on the carpet. I'm thinking of other ways to handle it that is more in line with what we saw later on in the other series, but I may just leave it.

I figured keeping medbay/sickbay right across from the transporter room would be a no-brainer. Not sure how many medical staff they'd keep on hand to treat the person, but it works. ;)
    civilian_scout___liberty___warp_nacelle_wip_01_by_ashleytinger-dbt1wzc.jpg

I have my own little brain design on how the warp core within the nacelle is going to work. I've got anti-matter containers lining the pod that feed into an injector that is in turn fed deuterirum through the ball on top which also helps collect stray particles. This will lead into the core which is inside the anti-matter bottles (not modeled yet) and will have a plasma feed line to the warp coils and also back to the ship and secondary impulse engines on the struts.

This isn't something that's going to be on the finished mesh of the ship because there isn't any reason to. Well parts of it will be, but this also lets me make up neat 3D engineering displays for the warp systems. ;)
    Brandenberg
    I like that so far. It's always interesting to see the different takes people do on nacelle innards.
    I like that so far. It's always interesting to see the different takes people do on nacelle innards.

Thanks! Yeah everyone has a slightly different take, especially on the TOS era models.
    civilian_scout___liberty___warp_nacelle_wip_02_by_ashleytinger-dbt8umb.jpg

Pulled in my stand in warp nacelle and strut from the Liberty to make sure my Nacelle components were going to line up with the model. I kept them pretty transparent so you can see the actual components. Warp core is nestled in there underneath the anti-matter pods. I used my 'dilithium pumpkin' parts from the Destroyer's Engineering set I built for it. Also modeled up some warp coils. I'm going to do up some equipment that rests between them but keep a mostly hollow center. There's some more stuff to do to the 'bussard' area as I do want to have some kind of 'collector' there that feeds back to the deuterium tanks.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    All looking good.
    Nice job on the nacelle guts. :)
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    All looking good.

Thank you :)
    Nice job on the nacelle guts. :)

Thanks. It's a little seat of my pants on how I wanted it to look and function but so far so good. :)