Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek Discovery

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The chick playing the Commander is hot. That's the only positive thing I have to say about this.
    Samurai wrote: »
    Looks like the trailer has been taken down, for... reasons... not on startrek.com either.

Guess we'll just have to try and build excitement from this stirring photo of the Klingon Male Voice Choir...

4ba534f44043c6cbe60c3050312a15cd847dda51.jpg

I just watched it using the link that Rojren provided. Most likely, they were fixing something and re-uploaded it.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member

4ba534f44043c6cbe60c3050312a15cd847dda51.jpg

Disco Klingons!
    Two minutes later, they were all on the crapper making that exact same face.
    Two minutes later, they were all on the crapper making that exact same face.

That would explain why Worf was so fond of his prune juice.
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    This doesn't surprise me at all. I have a friend that I grew up with that now works in Hollywood. I spoke with him just after he found out he would be working on this series and he was really excited about having a major roll in the production. I've been following the production of this series and it has been racked with trouble and conflict. The guy in charge changed the direction of the production completely from a prequel to the TOS to another whole new timeline. As a result there were a lot of fights and delays and at one point 3/4 of the production staff quit and walked out causing even bigger delays. Netflix is pissed because they have basically funded the entire project and they are no where near an air date from what I read last. Unfortunately if they ever do go to air I don't think it is going to last very long which I feel will be the final nail in the Star Trek coffin. We'll have to just wait and see.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    @SeanP; I pulled your buddy's name and IMDB link from your original post.

If he's on record with his opinions in a public forum then that's totally his call and I respect his right to discuss his employment as he sees fit, but just to be on the safe side... I'd hate for him to get into any trouble and for you (or SFM) be implicated in causing that, if he was speaking to you in confidence. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    @SeanP; I pulled your buddy's name and IMDB link from your original post.

If he's on record with his opinions in a public forum then that's totally his call and I respect his right to discuss his employment as he sees fit, but just to be on the safe side... I'd hate for him to get into any trouble and for you (or SFM) be implicated in causing that, if he was speaking to you in confidence. :)

Okay good thinking, I didn't think of that. Thanks.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I just saw a trailer for ST: D when my wife and I went to see Valerian. The date was September 24th.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I wasn't a hater, but I'm really not digging that latest trailer
    I was cautiously optimistic, but the more I see the more that optimism is dwindling. I wanted a proper prequel or something set on the Prime TOS era. While I wasn't expecting 1960s styling, I was hoping for something closer to the original. This is not that, in fact it looks further from the original than the newer movies do. If they wanted to do something that was nothing like what we've seen before, they should have set the series in the far future from the TNG time. The Shenzou looks like it belongs to that era anyway.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I was sceptical at first, but the more I see, the less I look forward. It looks nothing like Trek. It's a joke.
    Rumors and speculation (and an annoying number of commercials):

https://youtu.be/tQcLLfzzKWA
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    So, still dwindling the same format.
    If people google 'should we build a dyson sphere' they'd probably get an inkling we already have the means to initiate the transition into a Type II civilization on a Kardashev scale and get there rapidly with exponential construction via automation.

Now, Star Trek humans would if anything reach Type II level easily by building Dyson Swarms like the video suggests.
    Realistically, by the NX-01 timeframe, the technology would have been so advanced that if humans were in the midst of making the Dyson Swarm immediately after FC with the Vulcans, they would have likely finished the swarm by 2150 and built another one nearby.

Sigh... with replicators, the process could easily be self-powered by the star itself and done in a radically smaller time frame to boot.

I don't mind them having starships and exploring the galaxy, but this idiocy of them not achieving Type II status by now is absurd - technologically, the 23rd and 24th centuries could easily initiate the transition into Type III.
    Actually, technically speaking, they could easily be a Type II, but just never focused their technology towards that use.

I would love to see Trek reimagining itself like this, or at the very least showing us that the Federation has indeed harnessed the power of the star by building Dyson Swarms across its space since early days of the Federation (even if an actual Dyson Sphere shell is a bit impractical - but that doesn't mean a swarm can't do the same job).

Of course this would require of the writers to use their brains for a change and the technology that Trek has put to actual practical use that can produce really nice results.
    Deks wrote: »
    Of course this would require of the writers to use their brains for a change

That's where it all goes up in smoke. But, it's not just the writers. Stories with Star Trek usually have to follow a certain set of parameters and be approved by producers. That's where things usually go south. They get narrow vision with what they think it should be like and won't allow fresh ideas in.

I have to say that Star Trek's formula is probably something that's outdated in our current society. That's why the older shows work so well, they were great for the time and are still enjoyed by fans. However, trying to put the world of Kirk, Spock and the others into our modern times is what's not working. The problem is, they can't seem to get past what worked in the past and onto a new formula and that reimagining that you want. Nor is it likely to happen. As much as I love Star Trek, maybe it's just time to move on to fresh Sci-Fi properties and leave Trek that was to us fans who still enjoy watching the older shows and movies. Ten years ago I probably wouldn't have said that, but the more recent offerings have been lackluster.
    Would a people that can move easily and at will from star to star make the enormous effort to build a Dyson Construct? If advanced physics is your enemy, and you're stuck around one, or even a few stars, then a Dyson Construct would be one of your options to continue the species.

If advanced physics is your servant, you can spread out, move from world to world, or even make your own worlds to order, if you like.
    rojren wrote: »
    Would a people that can move easily and at will from star to star make the enormous effort to build a Dyson Construct? If advanced physics is your enemy, and you're stuck around one, or even a few stars, then a Dyson Construct would be one of your options to continue the species.

If advanced physics is your servant, you can spread out, move from world to world, or even make your own worlds to order, if you like.

Building a Dyson Swarm would be proverbially easy for them (we can already do it - and much faster than what the video 'should we build a Dyson Sphere' suggests - because it doesn't take into account use of superior synthetic materials and faster than exponential developments in science and technology)

Having a Dyson Swarm in every populated star system would be incredibly useful even if you have starships capable of transporting you across the galaxy.
    Think about it, with a Dyson Swarm, you have essentially incredible amount of energy at your disposal for a colony or a Federation member world to create more star-ships, other mega-structures, etc.
    You can then use that energy to link various star-systems using subspace ... all being powered by the massive energy of the harnessed stars.

Now, given the existence of shields and technology capable of manipulating subspace (not to mention the fabric of the reality), you could easily 'secure' star systems with impenetrable shielding (generate a massive shield around a solar system which would be next to impossible to penetrate), massive defensive arrays that are self-upgrading/modifying, etc. (all acting through the Dyson Swarm - which is made up of energy collectors - and we've seen in Trek that a single platform can be/is multi-purpose... well, it is like this for the Federation - we can make a multi-purpose platform as well).

Technically speaking, the fact that the 24th century was represented as a side-grade in technology vs the 23rd is ridiculous. And I never bought the fact that Warp drive was as slow as that it would take 75 years to cross the galaxy.
    Namely because we never saw ships travelling at Warp 9.9 (21473 x LS) for extended periods of time. Voyager was rated at a sustainable cruise velocity of 9.975 (which would have brought them back home in about a week's time), but it almost never even traveled at 9.9 (they usually cruised at Warp 7 or 8, possibly 9).

People expressed skepticism at Voyager's ability to affect repairs to itself from one week to the next along with photon torpedo replacements (even though self-repair was demonstrated on the shows before and the crews' capacity to innovate - freaking heck, the computer can do all the innovation for the crew and create new technologies and upgrades which it can integrate itself EVERY SINGLE DAY - with that approach... the ship would probably evolve itself inside a few days [seeing how the computer operates at incredible speeds and uses FTL principles - and automated R&D is nothing new and is thousands of times faster than humans RIGHT NOW]).

With the technology at their disposal, replicators could be powered by nearby stars in an uninhabited star system and the ship could easily replicate everything it needs from that energy (by the 24th century, ships hulls would likely have the ability to convert solar into usable energy at 100% efficiency and beyond) since we know replicators convert energy into matter (and don't need actual matter to work).
    Antimatter might be trickier, but if they can rebuild whole shuttles and boost anti-matter reserves using omicron particles, it's a bit dumb they can't find a way to make anti-matter in the field separately. Trading with other species would be unnecessary for supplies. The only viable reason they'd do it is to promote cooperation and good first contact maybe.

I never bought for a second you'd need to disassemble a ship to make a settlement or a colony with Fedration technology. Why bother?
    Use the ship's transporters and replicators to create self-sufficient settlements (again, using the sun's power) and leave the ship as is for patrol, defense and a very powerful computer core for R&D (heck, you could replicate those computer systems on the colony from scratch and delegate them to R&D).
    Oh yes, they can manufacture shuttles and complex hardware on ships, but for settlements they apparently need to disassemble the ship? Lol.

I mean come on, automation is nothing new and was well known in the 1960-ies... the fact that people would need to largely operate ships in the future was a bit obscene and less than convincing.
    But at that point, the writers probably didn't know everything that was possible technologically. They didn't have access to the Internet after all, so accessing such scientific knowledge would have been slower... and not all science consultants would have been aware of the Dyson Sphere proposal or considered it viable (even though it was and is today if modified to instead create a swarm or energy collectors).

Trek did a few things right such as presenting a future where money was for example eradicated and there was emphasis on cooperation and free exchange of resources and ideas (which would explain rapid advancement of the Federation in comparison to other races when coupled with automation)... but technology-wise, the writers were not really pushing it far enough (because, they weren't using automation as much they should have, least of all AI - and now add the prowess of 150 Federation worlds into the mix... even without AI doing all the research and this being delegated to simpler/specialized algorithms that take ideas from all over the place and expand on them, the technical and scientific breakthroughs would have positively trounced anything we actually saw in Trek by several hundreds or millions of times - getting such ideas from over 7 billion humans on just 1 planet would have skyrocketed development... nevermind similar cooperatives from 150 different species combined).
    By the 23rd century, Federation should have been exploring other galaxies apart from our own... never mind the 24th century.

But, there's still time to rectify the issue.
    Namely, Trek can easily be taken into a new (bold and progressive) direction and just explain why this never happened before was simply because they didn't think it would be necessary (even though technologically speaking, they could have).
    So, I'd love to see Trek series tackle creation of the Dyson Swarm (keep a non-monetary economy for the Federation - but use a Resource Based Economy approach as proposed by the Venus Project) using super-fast/efficient automation techniques (self-replication if you will), and pushing themselves further along with other alien species with cooperation taking precedence.
    You can still create compelling stories using that approach as opposed to dumbing everything down - just not sure if the people would be interested in such a show.
    I'm thinking they might.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I refuse to pay to watch this. I will watch the free ep on CBS but I do not see how CBS can think people will pay to watch Star Trek.
    They're hoping people will pay to watch it. But, no, I don't see this idea flying either.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    I think it is more a case of paying 12usd for one show as what else would one REALLY watch on that stream?

If it was on flix in the US it probably would fare much better than it will. I would probaly watch a few eps if it was on flix. I am shocked though at how much presence they are putting into it is I see it on tvs at restaurants in stores and pretty much anywhere there is a tv tuned to a station. A lot of push for a streamed show. A show on a stream that is destined to fail.

It will only work with a few big subs with the studios bidding for shows or slots. I can say I wont be paying 12usd for cbs 12for nbc 12 for abc 12 for XYZ etc etc so one.

This is what I refuse to pay not the show but the idea of 12usd a month for a single network stream. (sorry no I will never PAY for adverts so it is full fee vs the 5usd version)
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Yeah, they're pushing it hard on CBS. My guess is they're hoping that enough people will see it and just love it so much that they subscribe just for that show. Riiiight. :rolleyes:

I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime, though Prime has multiple benefits. And, I just started again with Hulu. So, I don't need to pay for another service that only has shows from one network. Put the show on one of those services and we'll talk.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime, though Prime has multiple benefits. And, I just started again with Hulu. So, I don't need to pay for another service that only has shows from one network. Put the show on one of those services and we'll talk.

This is exactly where my wife and I stand. We also just started with Hulu again and I'm impressed that it's improved so much since the last time we tried it.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    This is exactly where my wife and I stand. We also just started with Hulu again and I'm impressed that it's improved so much since the last time we tried it.

My thoughts exactly, I don't mind paying for Netflix and Hulu because they have a lot of shows and Amazon Video comes with my Prime membership (except HBO which I pay extra but I watch their movies and Game of Thrones) but I would never pay CBS just to watch one show even if it was good which I doubt this will be.

Update: 9-24-17
    I just watched the premiere episode that aired on CBS, first, the opening credits are horrible, they looked like a badly drawn cartoon from the 70's. The episode itself was alright but I just can't see how this will work online only. If it were on CW I would probably watch it but I'm not paying $5.99 up to $9.99 a month for this show.
    I didn't hate it like I thought I would. I found the acting to be solid, though the script was a bit of a let down. Also, more action that story, as seems to be the formula with modern Sci-Fi. The less said about the "Klingons" the better. The only thing that even looked right with them was the emblem. The Starfleet tech looks very generic. The ships look like background ships from First Contact and ships from Star Trek Online. There's nothing 23rd century looking to them. The interiors are all angles with stuff jutting out, unlike the smooth lines of the older shows. The gray pallet with blue displays is very bland, and none of the console designs really stand out as being "Star Trek" to me. It's just too generic. So are the uniforms. Navy blue with metallic accents. Just like you'd find on military personnel in a lot of Sci-Fi. I do like how different the story went, and I may stick with it a bit. Though, it all hangs on next week's episode. I'm on a 1 week trial of BS All Access, and I need to decide if it's worth $5.99/month before paying for it. I also need to see if there are any other worthwhile shows on there, though it's CBS so I doubt it.
    I didn't even bother. I already pay too much for stuff I watch too little of. And the more I've seen of ST:D the less interested I've become.

Just notice that the ST: D(iscovery) comes up as a grinning face.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Looks like it's on Netflix over here. That's convenient.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    Saw it... meh... convenient past time I guess... but not the actual Star Trek about faster than exponential technological progress, discovery, exploration, etc. (at least not yet).
    They did show various things such as holographic communication which I guess would be a step up, but I'm hoping we could get something about a Dyson Swarm creation at the very least (though doubt the writers would be smart enough to take things there).

What a waste... I'm guessing they will just keep rolling with this and keep on portraying current day behaviors into what is supposed to be a highly technologically advanced (and very different world/future).

Criticism I know.. but still.
    We'll see how it goes.
    The more I think about it, the more I realize I didn't really have an issue with the Klingons. They went bold with them, more so than with Starfleet. At least they didn't have helmets and jewelry.
    The Klingons were portrayed fine... although in all honesty, the premise that such a civilization with their behavior would still exist well into the space age is... unlikely.
    They would have destroyed themselves considering all the civil wars and infighting going on. But, given their history on Trek, they gained advanced technology from another species called Hurq if I'm not mistaken that tried invading them (which seems like a pretty stupid attempt to begin with because if you have FTL tech and massive automation that likely accompanies it, what's the point in invading another culture when you can find all the resources you could possibly need in space for example?) - which would explain why the Klingons never really progressed socially - or many other species for that matter - meddling of another interstellar culture before they are ready.

In real life, any such advanced civilization likely wouldn't interfere, because they would want to see whether a species has the ability to evolve socially so they wouldn't bring their problems to everyone else - in which case, you end up with Star Wars and even latest Trek which project current day societal order and behaviors well into the future (completely negating the premise that culture changes over time).

Plus the distinct lack of Dyson Swarm in Trek REALLY bugs me.
    The Vulcans would have been past type II stage by the time they initiated FC with Humans... and humans could have reached Type II status by the time the NX-01 was launched.

I like the fact they updated technology in certain aspects, but they hadn't gone far enough. They need to be FAR more advanced than this... especially by the mid 23rd century.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    I've done some tidying up. So far, I've kept the tidying up to posts, but have no problem tidying membership up if needs be.

@Amon Ra: Your opinions are your own, and you're welcome to them. But they are just that- opinions. Keep stating your preferences as fact for the rest of us to accept and you'll be looking for a new forum. Understood?
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."