Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Guard (Story + Art)

oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
edited May 2023 in Work in Progress #1
i2U1J45.png
Post edited by oldmangreg on
Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
scifieric
Tagged:

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Starterd work on texturing the pylons. Probably may end up redoing the UVs though....
    Sampson%202017%20026a_zpslrotls6b.png
    scifieric
    More work on textures. RCS thrusters installed. Still need to work on the intercoolers, UV map a few of the grey sections, and work on the internal mechanism of the bussards.

Sampson%202017%20037a_zps87kdxexi.png
    Sampson%202017%20038a_zpsj2ujlykp.png
    scifieric
    So a quick look at the Guard fleet, comprised of ships I've designed over the years (some I've posted before, others I haven't).
    They are all going to be redone so there will be consistency between them (window sizes, deck height, etc.).
    The ones that say "-type" don't have a name yet.
    Stovas is there even though she isn't a Guard vessel (privately owned by Glenn Stovas).
    SHIP DATABASEsmall.png
    111388.png
    scifieric
    New design. Someone will probably bitch about the bussard location but don't give a ****. :D
    AcXa9uY.png
    S352DiU.png
    srspicerscifieric
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Wow, very original design!

I actually love the idea to have the bussards there instead of on the saucer as in the Steamrunner, it looks much cleaner this way in my opinion, and it respects more the original idea of nacelles as dangerous parts which have to be away from the living areas.
    scifieric
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Wow, very original design!

I actually love the idea to have the bussards there instead of on the saucer as in the Steamrunner, it looks much cleaner this way in my opinion, and it respects more the original idea of nacelles as dangerous parts which have to be away from the living areas.

Yea I figure they are far back enough to not pose a danger to the rest of the ship, plus the low profile of the ship means they can still operate efficiently without having full line of sight forward.

So when I made this ship, I couldn't think of a name while saving the file. So, I typed the word "Toch" thinking I completely made up the word. Apparently it's an actual name belonging to several people. So I choose one from the list that I felt was most appropriate for this ship:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_Toch

Th6hBAR.png
    LzvvMW3.png
    scifieric
    Okay I only got a little bit done today. Worked on the endcaps a bit, basing them off the Daedalus-class (these ships are suppose to be set in the year 2245). Also added some sensor dish/dome things on the bottom of the saucer, an idea I borrowed from my Watcher-class design. Not seen in these renders I actually slightly lengthened the connection between the front of the nacelles by 3 meters. Haven't decided if I want to hide the inter coolers like the Daedalus, have only the insides ones exposed, or have a style similar to the NX. Also need to decide what to do with that aft pod. It's really only there to balance out the design, but I figure it might have some functionality with the warp nacelles, maybe help with the warp bubble or some technobabble. Also to note is that because Guard ships are small, they will have visible escape pods or at least some sort of indication of where they are.
    77RTZxJ.png
    LPlFAZS.png
    srspicerscifieric
    Bit more done. Built interior components for the bussards. Added a sort of sloped cover to the end caps.Quick mock up of intercoolers.
    QZkBeaO.png
    UYVAmGN.png
    scifieric
    So since I last update this:
    -New deflector housing
    -Worked on the AWACs-type module
    -Spread out the nacelles a bit to balance it
    -relocated the "laser banks" so that they are on the bottom of the saucer (laser will be used as an acronym because you know how the military loves its acronyms)
    vJmlxdO.png
    o0KlURn.png
    scGFar9.png
    jcBvtU8.png
    -This ship has 3 decks
    scifieric
    A comparison to the D7 and a scene idea I'm working on.
    Also turned 27 today, so wooo.....:argh:
    Xwe9c59.jpg
    X1bA4lO.jpg
    srspicerscifieric
    Happy birthday! :D

The updates are looking great! And that's a brave captain, opening fire on a Klingon ship with a D7 right there...
    scifieric

The updates are looking great! And that's a brave captain, opening fire on a Klingon ship with a D7 right there...

Actually the idea is the D7 shows up during the fight.
    scifieric
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Happy belated birthday. I'm only three months behind you.#

That's one cool looking ship.
    scifieric

Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Happy belated birthday. I'm only three months behind you.

Thanks!

Just a little bit more work done. Adjusted the deflector so now it sits inside the hull, which I think looks better. Also did some work on the bridge module, impulse engines, and the intercoolers.
    NOTE: The AWAC-type module is just hidden, I did not get rid of it.
    Also started laying out Deck 2 (ship only has 3 decks) interior so I can get an idea where to position the windows. It's a small ship so fun to cram things everywhere. I figure the crew is less than the NX, so maybe about 31-ish. It's not a long range vessel.
    ZUcZYmf.png
    EPXhHWs.png
    qEibcNd.png
    scifieric
    So apparently Decks 1 and 3 of the U.S.S. Toch have more walking space than I anticipated, which works out fine. This won't affect Deck 2 much but it does give me more to work with. This is a general layout of the interior and the actual design will be a little different. Wasn't going to give this ship any auxiliary craft aside from escape pods, but now I'm considering two shuttlepod-esque, one each side of the saucer. Most likely going to be on Deck 3 instead of 1, since Deck 3 will mainly be fire control and some other things. Also I altered Deck 2's layout a bit and it feels a bit better.
    5nMjvut.png
    srspicerscifieric
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Actually the idea is the D7 shows up during the fight.

That makes a lot more sense. :lol:

I'll be honest, I preferred the pod between the nacelles as it was before, more near the back of the ship. It made the ship appear more balanced that way IMO.

What about adding a small vertical shuttlebay similar to that of the NX-01 at the bottom of the saucer?

I'm asuming that being so small and cramped there's no
    scifieric
    That makes a lot more sense. :lol:

I'll be honest, I preferred the pod between the nacelles as it was before, more near the back of the ship. It made the ship appear more balanced that way IMO.

What about adding a small vertical shuttlebay similar to that of the NX-01 at the bottom of the saucer?

I'm asuming that being so small and cramped there's no

It actually feels more balanced and structurally sound where it is now compared to its previous position. The previous position felt a bit awkward, especially since I widened the distance between the nacelles.

Edit: I'm thinking of doing one or two shuttle pods similar in size to the NX-01s because the Class-F would be too big.
    scifieric
    I have a love/hate relationship with Dan's method of doing decals. On one hand, it produces crisp, clean decals that would normally be blurred by doing a texture map and they don't blur together with distance, not to mention they look great. On the other, it adds more polys and makes it annoying to do any damage effects without moving a lot of crap around. So not sure if I want to keep this or revert back to the texturing level, which is a bit more manageable...
    Also some test window cuts to get an idea of what looks good at a reasonable distance.
    Oh and I guess I should decide what the actual registry number is.
    zvxqgsH.jpg
    3w6bzRT.png
    srspicerscifieric
    General layout of Deck 1 and Deck 2. Looks a bit open now, but when I start working on the actual walls, rooms, and girders it will feel more condensed, like the NX-01.
    5RMjWtW.png
    6DlrFdL.jpg
    scifieric
    Something I have been working on for the past few hours. So the deck height of my ships are generally 3 meters (higher for things like shuttlebays and the like). Based on observation of TOS episodes and knowing Leonard Nimoy is 6ft tall (approx. 1.828 meters), I manage to conclude that the doors are 2 meters tall. There is a space of about 0.5 meters between the top of the door and those overhanging girders/panels that go across the hallway. The only issue is trying to figure out the width of individual panels. I have them at 1.35 meters across so there is a 0.1 meter gap for the silver reflective tape in between them. They look about right, but information on set particulars is non-existent.
    I'm assuming as you get closer to the center of the ship (for the circular portions) the number of panels goes down and the panel width does not actually change.
    28OLrPj.jpg
    PJ7LECp.jpg
    wJiqyRq.jpg
    scifieric
    Back to Trek stuff. I hate textures... :D
    sfvcjT9.png
    smgidb0.png
    scifieric
    I'm back, from outer space. Come to see that sad look upon your face...(points if you get the movie reference)...
    Been gone a for nearly 9 months dealing with health issues, so I haven't been able to work on anything (writing or modeling wise).
    Started working on the Toch again. Started UVWing the AWAC module and texture work. Redid some bits I did not like, including a rebuilt impulse deck, the aft ends of the nacelles, rebuilding parts of the nacelles, removing the shuttlebay, and reworking the bridge module.
    S2wIzJV.png
    srspicerscifieric
    I don't get the movie but I do get the song. :lol:

Welcome back and glad to hear you're better mate. :)

As I previously mentioned, I love the Toch, so it's always good to see more progress on it.
    scifieric
    One last thing before bed. An idea I had for a refit of the Toch during the TOS era.
    kQGz6dA.png
    srspicerscifieric
    I don't get the movie but I do get the song. :lol:

Welcome back and glad to hear you're better mate. :)

As I previously mentioned, I love the Toch, so it's always good to see more progress on it.

The movie was Men in Black II.
    I've been wanting to finish this one, the Sampson, the Stovas, and an [REDACTED] vessel for my story.
    Thanks!
    scifieric

So had to redo the texture on the AWAC module due to forgetting that dimensions of 2k, 4k, 8k, etc texture sizes, but it looks better. I decided to give the saucer an angled edge and I think it looks better. Moved the deflector beneath the saucer instead of having it on the forward edge of the saucer rim, putting it on a new structural piece that has the newly moved planetary sensor dome.
    BVwhQB2.png
    L5GhyUU.png
    8jUxRi8.png
    Still planning out the TOS-era refit of this vessel. The sensor and reconnaissance capabilities of these vessels would be increased dramatically. It would also have upgraded offensive and defensive capabilities to cope. The little blue cylinders are caterpillar drive type engines, used when this ship needs to covertly observe a pre-warp civilization.
    IGE5hQH.png
    te8ruoJ.png
    srspicerscifieric

Not much done because of the heat (I hate the summer months). Some minor adjustments to the nacelles and the impulse drive. Worked on the deflector area a bit too.
    C8GGDTp.png
    ccJJauv.png
    Also had a weird urge to make a side profile of this in Starbound. Not 1/1 scale but eh...
    Jx8nSDc.jpg
    scifieric
    Nice bits added, I look forward to see how you'll develop them further. :)

That Starbound reproduction looks quite nice actually!
    scifieric
    Back at it again. Tried an idea I just got : moving the nacelles up a bit some they are not completely behind the saucer. Not sure if I'm gonna keep it yet, and I will have to rework the saucer connections if I do. Also merged some bits in the saucer and recessed the bridge dome a bit, since there is a lot of ceiling height in the bridge. Also removed the blip that housed the deflector (which I think I'm gonna put back on the saucer rim, but I haven't decided yet) and lower sensor dome (which is now recentered on the saucer). Still messing with the impulse unit as well.
    yxPJ7ql.png
    WnkLiXD.png
    scifieric
    Hadn't made any progress because I was too annoyed with how things were shaping up. Then I looked at this picture of my Warden Class concept and realized it was similar in style to the Toch. So I decided to borrow some ideas from it. So scrapped the old nacelles for new ones, moved the bussards to a little structural piece underneath the forward section of the nacelles (the shape and size will be adjusted later; it is attached to the section of nacelle that stays with the ship when the nacelles are ejected), adjusted the position of the AWAC module (which now has a connection that I like), and re positioned the impulse engines (to be altered later.) Also came up with an idea for the Type B (Guard starship classes come in Type Alpha and Type Bravo variants), which loses the AWAC module but gains a secondary module (which will be intelligence related).
    O9RcdpB.png
    IOA7eCc.png
    ciHDgXn.png
    IFOXsAb.png
    srspicerscifieric