Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS.S. Overture

rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
edited December 2022 in Work in Progress #1
fuci60nzmu6v.png
This is the S.S. Overture. It's Federation, but not Starfleet. She and her sister ships Anthem and Canticle are proofs of concept for various drive, weapons and material technologies.

When I worked on the Anthem, one of the problems I had was that while AutoCAD could produce an elliptical saucer, it wouldn't allow me to edit it. I had to stick with a circle.

I finally figured out how to do it (it was much easier than I would have thought) so (despite not being really happy with my prior attempts) I thought I'd try another Federation ship.

Then I made a mistake. I worked on the drawing in AutoCAD 2018, which seems to still have a bug that messes with image output. Until I can figure out how to fix that I have to use a more hand-drawn visual style.

build0620_thumb.jpg build0620a_thumb.jpg
Post edited by rojren on
FreakBolianAdmiralJeffrySG
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's pretty cool so far. It's nice seeing a non Starfleet Federation ship for a change. :)
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Found out the problem. The video card drivers didn't like the last Hotfixes from Autodesk.

build0702x_thumb.jpg build0702x1_thumb.jpg
    komaro
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Nice concept.
    Thanks.;)

I figure the primary mission on this one is to test various drive systems that were featured on the various series: advanced warp drives, soliton drives, quantum slipstream drives, and that subspace folding (?) thing the Cytherians used. I've probably missed ome.

build0708x_thumb.jpg build0708x1_thumb.jpg
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Just a thought. Perhaps it's a Section 31 starship. With it not being Starfleet but still Federation.
    Sure. That'll work. I was thinking something like a few universities, and research centers collaborating on the project. Section 31 could be managing the project in secret.

I'm trying out a more rounded look for the features at front of the engines. As usual with my attempts at Star Trek designs - I mostly keep trying things, and then undoing them.

build0713x_thumb.jpg
    Worked some on the drive units.

build0718x_thumb.jpg build0718x1_thumb.jpg
    SAMSABER_2012komaro
    Ellipses and AutoCAD don't mix well. It's difficult to find centers. I've done a bunch of work, and ended up with nothing to show for it.

While I'm fighting with that, I set the scale for the ship.

flatshot_thumb.jpg
    publiusr
    Added stuff. Deleted stuff. Added more stuff. Deleted that too.

(The red cylinder is 3 meters tall.)

build0805x_thumb.jpg build0805x1_thumb.jpg build0805x2_thumb.jpg
    Added the hangar bays, undid some bits of the hull, and spent most of a day getting all the pieces on the same centerline.

build0813_a_thumb.jpg
    Okay. This is weird. I took a break from this to redo my website again. (www.rogerrenfrow.com if you'd like to look.) Now that I'm back at this, something funky is going on. It looks like watercolors.

build0829x_thumb.jpg
    It looks kind of cool. On the other hand, that would totally freak me out if one of my projects looked like that all of a sudden.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Intriguing design. I like some areas more then others. Those engines/nacelles are fun and slick. The bottom part is maybe something I am not sure...Keep it on.
    Yeah, I've never really liked the secondary hull. It's one of several things about this ship I keep staring at, trying to figure what to do about it, and then keep staring.

I tried opening the file on a CAD workstation today. The file is corrupt. I'll have to try and salvage it.
    I split the different sections of the ship (drive, deflector, saucer, etc.) off into separate files and externally referenced them all to the base file. Looks like that fixed the problem.

Fiddled with a new secondary hull. Reminds me of a banana.

build0903x1_thumb.jpg build0903x2_thumb.jpg
    Interesting shape, though it's hard to say from that one angle.
    Four quick views of the engineering hull (with changes). The deflector is going to change.

build0905b1_thumb.jpg
    I like the shape.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Ah! I find that solution more elegant. Nice shape and it follows more the angles of the saucer. I know that sometimes I try to imagine how the aerodynamic would influence the shape, and I think you got it right that way. Keep it up, and do incremental saves! I got burned once and twice...;)
    Added hangar doors, an impulse drive, a new navigational deflector and some text.

I tend to back up every day I work on a ship, and do sub-saves for every major change to the shape.

build0916_thumb.jpg build0916a_thumb.jpg
    It's looking really good. I like how the secondary hull is shaping up.
    rojren wrote: »
    I tend to back up every day I work on a ship, and do sub-saves for every major change to the shape.

I like those sub-saves too. If you mess up or want to change it, it's better than starting at the beginning.
    Back at it. Top view.

build1025_thumb.jpg
    Plodding along.

build1105x_thumb.jpg build1105x2_thumb.jpg
    Added some stuff. The file is getting jittery again.

build0201_thumb.jpg build0201a_thumb.jpg
    Okay. Back at this one.

build0611-thumb.jpg build0611a-thumb.jpg
    I really hope I'm done with this.

build0619-thumb.jpg build0619a-thumb.jpg build0619b-thumb.jpg build0619c-thumb.jpg
    SAMSABER_2012komaro
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    That's an interesting design you got their!
    I like what I see so far!:thumb:
    komaro
    Thanks. I really have a hard time with Star Trek ship designs. I am comforted by the fact that the people making the Star Trek movies and series also seem to have a hard time with Star Trek ship designs. :p
  • SAMSABER_2012SAMSABER_201267 Posts: 107Member
    rojren wrote: »
    Worked some on the drive units.

build0718x_thumb.jpg build0718x1_thumb.jpg

These organic engines look fabulous.

edited September 2020 #31
    Thank you. They started as a way to combine the pylons and nacelles.

I had forgotten about this thread. I've been posting updates to my catch-all thread.
    Post edited by rojren on