Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek Discovery

• rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    The main hull looks very NX like, s I'm gonna call that as a guest ship. Do quite like it, though.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The ship looks NX-era, but the nacelles look more movie era to me, it's kind of perplexing.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    The last thing those nacelles are saying is "2250s". Great for post TNG/VOY.
    Maybe it's a ship for a plot involving time travel. You know how they love their time travel on Star Trek. :rolleyes:
    https://youtu.be/4dxe_ugmIVM

Uhm. Everything looks wrong. Is this yet another alternate universe?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9792 Posts: 5,323Member
    Looks, smells, and feels jjverse to me. Or a copy of it. 10yrs nah the Enterprise was what 12yrs old then? More like 30yrs before Kirk. Or did they fool themselves with the jjverse thinking the Enterprise was built just for Kirk? Or maybe before kirks birth? that would be a good 40yr gap.

Meh.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    That one character at the end looks like Lorien from B5.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    10 years before Kirk commanded the Enterprise, Spock was a lieutenant and served on the Enteprise under Pike as science officer. So, maybe 10 years before his birth? I don't know. The whole thing looks wrong, like they're just ignoring canon. I'm thinking it *is* the JJVerse. The design style is too much like the JJVerse to be coincidence.
    I don't feel so bad about not seeing it now.

Of all the things I didn't like about the preview, the one that really bugs me, is that they're using the Enterprise delta badge as the badge for Starfleet, and they even have one on the back of a headrest on the bridge.
    The delta emblem has become synonymous with Starfleet, even though the correct Starfleet command emblem prior to TMP was the starburst emblem seen worn by command officers and Starbase personnel on TOS. As we all know, other ships and even outposts had their own emblems, much like unit patches in modern militaries. That was changed after Kirk's historic 5-year mission. The Enterprise emblem became *the* emblem for Starfleet. In the retconned beginning of Star Trek (2009) the Kelvin has that emblem. Presumably, that ship would be retired prior to the launch of the Enterprise in 2245, and the emblem was re-used for the Enterprise in the Prime Universe. However, in the Kelvin timeline, the destruction of the Kelvin allegedly made Starfleet adopt that emblem as its own. Why isn't answered, as the Kelvin was far from the first ship to be lost. Also, this is all conjecture that fits, as we never saw another ship in 2233.

So, the use of that emblem and the design style overall puts this show in the Kelvin timeline.
    rojren wrote: »
    image1.jpg image2.jpg image3.jpg

It is funny what you see after a while or see the ship in other views. The above images it is clear there is a large snout deflector dish on the Shenzou.

shencloud.gif

I do not think those running things know much more about trek than the last 3 jj films. Pacing, tonality it is all jjtrek.

I wont be surprised if the Discovery itself is not much different from the sneak peak we got.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,566Member
    It won't be different at all. It's JJ-Trek for TV.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    It is funny what you see after a while or see the ship in other views. The above images it is clear there is a large snout deflector dish on the Shenzou.

shencloud.gif

I do not think those running things know much more about trek than the last 3 jj films. Pacing, tonality it is all jjtrek.

I wont be surprised if the Discovery itself is not much different from the sneak peak we got.

Well, we can't yet know about the pacing of the individual episodes.

But, yeah, this is the Kelvin-timeline for TV. With all the to and fro on the creative side of things and the... failure... of Beyond, they probably went in and retooled the whole show and shifted it from the Prime-timeline to the Kelvin one.
    Pacing is in reference to the trailer is is very much a copycat of the jjtrek trailers.
    ST-One wrote: »
    Well, we can't yet know about the pacing of the individual episodes.

But, yeah, this is the Kelvin-timeline for TV. With all the to and fro on the creative side of things and the... failure... of Beyond, they probably went in and retooled the whole show and shifted it from the Prime-timeline to the Kelvin one.

I'm assuming you mean financial failure in reference to Star Trek Beyond, because the movie was well received by critics. I personally feel it's the best of the three, I don't know why it under performed at the box office. It made money, it just didn't make enough money.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    I'm assuming you mean financial failure in reference to Star Trek Beyond, because the movie was well received by critics. I personally feel it's the best of the three, I don't know why it under performed at the box office. It made money, it just didn't make enough money.

Yes, financially, of course. I'd rate it the second best of the three.
    Which one is your favorite?

I think, if we get good character development and the compelling storytelling with Discovery that Star Trek is known for, it will be good no matter which timeline it's set in. I can overlook the "ooh shiny" visual style if the show is done right. I sincerely hope there's a good explanation for the FUBAR Klingons.
    The new Klingoids remind me of Necromongers from whatever Ridick movie that was.

Edit: happened upon this. I don't know if any of this is correct, but it's interesting.

https://youtu.be/3I3y3_QmBsQ
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Boom!

hPgbhxC.png
    From this view it reminds me of the Enterprise J.
    From that view, it looks like a Vulcan IDIC symbol, which I'm sure is the intent.
    It looks like The Deathly Hallows symbol too. Just deconstructed a bit.
    Seeing it from that top view actually kills any and all interest I may have had in that design. I don't like ships that are designed off of famous symbols.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Seeing it from that top view actually kills any and all interest I may have had in that design. I don't like ships that are designed off of famous symbols.

I really think it's just a coincidence.
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    I really think it's just a coincidence.

It could be, but on the other hand, the main character was raised on Vulcan. That diminishes the coincidence factor for me.
    more:

link

Bright lights and explosions.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    You know I thinks there's also something else going on besides the conflict with the Klingons. The trailer does seem to hint at that.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Looks like the trailer has been taken down, for... reasons... not on startrek.com either.

Guess we'll just have to try and build excitement from this stirring photo of the Klingon Male Voice Choir...

4ba534f44043c6cbe60c3050312a15cd847dda51.jpg
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    bleh