Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Is it just me or has traffic here dropped right off to almost nothing?

SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
edited July 2017 in General Discussion #1
It seems to me that traffic has dropped right off since the click - thru thing started. I've never seen traffic this low before. If the owners did this to help pay for the site I would have to say it was a bad decision. If the owners didn't do this for revenue and it was as a result of a malicious attack then I would say it needs to be taken care of as soon as possible. One thing is for sure - if nothing is done the site will die and that would be a shame.
Post edited by SeanP on

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Yeah, it feels that way... I'll keep posting here until I'm the only one left, but I can't help but notice the whole site feels neglected...

That click thing was an attack on an exploit, and apparently it can't be fixed without pouring money into the site, which seems unlikely at this point...
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I'm wondering if some people just can't get in anymore because of their security settings.
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Hmmmmmm interesting.....

I know what you're saying, I have always enjoyed this place. I joined back in the 1990s when I first started making spaceships in 3DS MAX and it was called scifi-art.com. The guy that owned that site moved to Australia and as far as I know stopped working in 3D (not sure on that one). The database was transferred to this place and scifi-meshes was born. At least that's how I remember it. I was away from 3D for a while when my daughters were born and then I came back to it a few years back.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    It doesn't seem THAT dead to me... the only thing that seems stagnant is the header... it hasn't been updated with new images in a LONG time. And, truth be told, I'd much rather have the old, non-auto-scrolling header back.
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    It doesn't seem THAT dead to me... the only thing that seems stagnant is the header... it hasn't been updated with new images in a LONG time. And, truth be told, I'd much rather have the old, non-auto-scrolling header back.

The site went for like 4 days without anyone posting anything in the WIP forum, no comments or updates at all. In my opinion that is usually the busiest forum. I'd say that's a good indication of a significant drop in traffic. The other thing that is not helping is when you Google this website it says, "This site may have been hacked."
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    It looks like posts have been down, but there are "119 users online" (four of them members) as I write this. I don't know what it has been, but that doesn't sound too bad.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Most if not all of those are non posters or bots.

View the link
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/online.php

It will show most of them (the guests) are rummaging through unused areas of the board or very old threads. I would have to say most of the BW on forums are spammers indexing the site or bots rolling through every link.

In the end I think most people are meaning is actual activity as in posts vs views.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    SeanP wrote: »
    The site went for like 4 days without anyone posting anything in the WIP forum, no comments or updates at all. In my opinion that is usually the busiest forum. I'd say that's a good indication of a significant drop in traffic. The other thing that is not helping is when you Google this website it says, "This site may have been hacked."

Well, four days isn't THAT long... I'm a member of many forums, and I've seen a week or more go by with no posts in various subforums, etc. As to the hacking issue... well, yeah... that sucks.
  • christianSchristianS0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi,

I haven't posted anything in ages, but always enjoyed coming here, reading, taking a look. But since the site was down the last time (some weeks or few months ago) SFM has been plagued by pop ups, redirections, mostly to game related pages, some of them blocking the whole browser (at least on Android), so I stayed away. Its just no fun browsing around here. I could imagine that this might keep away other users as well...

Chris
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Chris, valid feedback above- thanks for your honesty, can totally see how the recent pop-up plague has affected people's opinions

Couple of bits of info, to keep you in the loop as best I can;

1. The Admin team (especially Comco and Guerilla) have manually removed as many exploits as we've been able to identify- as I'm sure you can imagine, this wasn't a super easy or time-efficient option, but it seems to be holding for now- do let us know if you're continuing to see issues however. This is a vulnerability that affects this particular version of vBulletin (the forum software), and it seems the only clear solution is a paid upgrade to the latest version.

2. We are looking at vBulletin alternatives, but there is alot to consider here. We have to migrate a sizeable and established member database, as well as preserve as much of the content (and context) as possible. It's early days on this front but we are working on it. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • Mangy_DogMangy_Dog61 Posts: 13Member
    I miss this site to... But because I dont have a workstation still ive done little in the way of 3D, some cad work and designing for my speedo project. But nothing really fancy:(

But this site needs some new stuff happening... Something to engage more people to join.
  • RidgerunnerRidgerunner0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi, it's been a long time since I've been on this website. So long in fact I can't remember if I ever registered to the website lol. Anyways, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this kind of question, but I've been watching Star Trek Voyager lately and it's really sparked a interest in working on a old personal project of mine. I'm sure this has been done many times, but it has to do with remaking Voyager in CGI. This is has been a WIP of mine for a long time (5+ years). The problem is I never seem to be able to produce a image that I've been satisfied with (Always feels sub-pare). The modeling is 98% done, but I need help with texturing/materials. With all that said, I was wondering if you guys know of any high quality lighting/material tutorials that focuses on getting the look and feel of a space ship right.

Thank you for any help.