Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBeyond A

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Unbelievably amazing work Alex! :notworthy:
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Absolutely amazing! :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Thank you!
    Some info about the model:

2,341,000 polygons
    1730 objects
    270 lights
    6 up to 6K texture sets (colour, specular, normal) and a couple of additional textures

More images are rendering now.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Inspired!
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    you've done a fabulous job of modeling/texturing/rendering this ship............but i cant bring myself to like the design - this ship and its predecessor are the ugliest enterprises :(

with your skills you should model the original enterprise -a variant - best looking ship by miles!
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    you've done a fabulous job of modeling/texturing/rendering this ship............but i cant bring myself to like the design - this ship and its predecessor are the ugliest enterprises :(

nonsense - both of them look barely any different from any other Enterprise. They all look exactly the same to me...
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    As someone who hated the 1701 when I first saw it, I loved the 1701-A right away.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    When are new pictures of this beautiful object?
    The model is available on my webseite. Take it, play with it and share your renders.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Thank you very very much :)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I'd like to see that saucer on a MQuarrie/Discovery type hull.
  • EnterpraisEnterprais197 Posts: 124Member
    nightfever, wwwoooooooww, I really can't believe it! Congratulations, the model is gourgeus and thank you very very much for sharing it with us!!:o :thumb:
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    I take my hat off to you Alex!
    Awesome object. Thanks for sharing! :thumb:
    I'm going to make a 3dsmax convertion and I'm wondering does anybody know the length of the ship? In meters? We know that the previous Enterprise is about 725 meters long, what about the new one?
    Enterprais wrote: »
    I'm going to make a 3dsmax convertion and I'm wondering does anybody know the length of the ship? In meters? We know that the previous Enterprise is about 725 meters long, what about the new one?

The Enterprise-A is 762 meters long.
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    The Enterprise-A is 762 meters long.

716m long
    762m long sweet mother of god thats enormous!!! would need a crew of over 10000 people on board to make it anything other than a ghost ship - the original a was supposed to be about 305m and that is still huge - nimitz class aircraft carrier is only 317m odd with a crew of 5000+

jj verse ships scaling is out of control!!!
    762m long sweet mother of god thats enormous!!! would need a crew of over 10000 people on board to make it anything other than a ghost ship - the original a was supposed to be about 305m and that is still huge - nimitz class aircraft carrier is only 317m odd with a crew of 5000+

Not much difference than a Sovereign class really.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nimitz class carriers don't have the kind of automation that Star Trek is supposed to have. Remember, five people stole the Enterprise refit in Star Trek III and were able to fly the ship through space and even partially fight. Though, Andrew Probert did want the crew of the 642m long Enterprise-D to be several times what it was established to be on screen, but budget constraints kept them from being able to hire the extras necessary to convey that size of crew. That's one reason for Star Trek crews being what they are and why plot devices like extensive automation have to be put in place.
  • MischaMischa0 Posts: 0Member

A Nimitz class is also seriously crowded compared to any Starfleet ship. Even the Defiant has luxurious berthing compared to what you get on a Nimitz.

You really don't want to have to spend five years living like that.
    yeah but a nimitz also carrying a vast hanger full of aircraft which starfleet ships dont and as i mentioned its well over twice teh length and probably even more in terms of internal volume - no this this is far to big
    Nimitz class carriers don't have the kind of automation that Star Trek is supposed to have. Remember, five people stole the Enterprise refit in Star Trek III and were able to fly the ship through space and even partially fight. Though, Andrew Probert did want the crew of the 642m long Enterprise-D to be several times what it was established to be on screen, but budget constraints kept them from being able to hire the extras necessary to convey that size of crew. That's one reason for Star Trek crews being what they are and why plot devices like extensive automation have to be put in place.

the automation aspect makes it even more crazy for the ship to be this big the 305m of the original seems realistic - unless you say that 90% of the internal volume of the ship is machinery (more than willing to accept this but schematics etc show federation ships are mostly full of space for humans to wonder around and the engineering aspects are quite small) then there is too much internal volume - whats more there is no need for it to be that big there are no visual cues to it being that big and none of the visual effects would need to change if you shrunk it down to reasonable size - think jj said how big is it? to the designer and he said 300m and jj said bigger it has to be bigger (maybe he has a complex or something) and the designer simply hit the scale button and dragged it up to 250% job done
    Well, everybody knows the scaling went out of control on the JJ Enterprise. Even John Eaves finally admitted that a while after the movie came out. Apparently, the ship started off more 300-something meters long, then they started adding large things like the massive shuttlebay and internal "sets" that made it impossible for a ship that size to contain them. So, the ship got bigger. And bigger. It was out of control and irresponsible. They didn't even properly scale the ship, as is apparent by the windows and other details, like the little port where they shoot Kirk out in a pod in the first film. If you ignore the size of the internal areas, you get a more realistic number, more around 366 meters. (source: Ex Astris Scientia website)

Of course, it also doesn't help that ILM did the special effects on the first two films and they're well known for their scaling issues. I mean, imagine the size that the ship that owns the massive Kelvin-style saucer here would have to be:

enterprise-huge-saucer.jpg

Ignoring the actual visual details, and going with the number of 716 meters long for the first ship, the second ship being 762 meters long makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, it makes absolutely none.
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    Well, everybody knows the scaling went out of control on the JJ Enterprise. Even John Eaves finally admitted that a while after the movie came out. Apparently, the ship started off more 300-something meters long, then they started adding large things like the massive shuttlebay and internal "sets" that made it impossible for a ship that size to contain them. So, the ship got bigger. And bigger. It was out of control and irresponsible. They didn't even properly scale the ship, as is apparent by the windows and other details, like the little port where they shoot Kirk out in a pod in the first film. If you ignore the size of the internal areas, you get a more realistic number, more around 366 meters. (source: Ex Astris Scientia website)

Of course, it also doesn't help that ILM did the special effects on the first two films and they're well known for their scaling issues. I mean, imagine the size that the ship that owns the massive Kelvin-style saucer here would have to be:

enterprise-huge-saucer.jpg

Ignoring the actual visual details, and going with the number of 716 meters long for the first ship, the second ship being 762 meters long makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, it makes absolutely none.

If you actually look at the scaling, the diameter of the saucers are about the same.

Also, who says conclusively that was a Starship and not an orbiting space station?
  • MischaMischa0 Posts: 0Member
    yeah but a nimitz also carrying a vast hanger full of aircraft which starfleet ships dont and as i mentioned its well over twice teh length and probably even more in terms of internal volume - no this this is far to big
    Yeah nah mate, most of the useful internal volume in a Starship is in it's saucer, as far as habitation goes. The nacelels are useless for that, and the Engineering hull isn't called that for nothing either. It's filled with hangar and machinery.
    Add to that that every person gets their own (modest) apartment, instead of sleeping in a bunk in a room with up to sixty (!) others, and space runs out quickly.
    Starships are roomy compared to wet navy ships.
    gerb200 wrote: »
    If you actually look at the scaling, the diameter of the saucers are about the same.

Also, who says conclusively that was a Starship and not an orbiting space station?

According to Bernd Schneider, it's 150% larger than the Enterprise's saucer. Remember, in the shot I posted, the Enterprise is considerably closer to the camera, because it's flying directly at that saucer but has enough time and space to maneuver under it.

And, in 1080p, you can make out part of the name "Mayflower" and part of the registry number. The USS Mayflower is one of the ships in the fleet that went to Vulcan.
    just curious but what is the diameter of the enterprises saucer? i suspect its gotta be 350m at least and if this is over twice the size......... 1km saucer :) lol yeah sizes are crazy - your allowed 1km in star wars but not star trek at least not for the normal ships

(all assuming by 150% larger you mean what i think you mean in that 100% larger would be 1 times the size etc and not that its just half as big again to me that would be 50% larger)
    Hello, I made a 3ds max conversion(mental ray renderer), did some renders, but didn't have time to process them in Photoshop/AfterEffects(will do it in a couple of days).

nightfever, could I share this conversion to others? How should I do it, via your web site?
    111813.jpg111814.jpg111815.jpg
    I'd love to host your conversion.
    nightfever, thanks! I sent you a PM with this conversion. Again, absolutely stunning model, I'm in love with it. Especially impulse engines, to make them cast light properly, I had to add 128 lights, one for each little part of engines :lol: