Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I love the Ent-E bridge. :p

I understand the criticism with the Voyager bridge, but that was designed more to look good on screen than be practical. Defiant is the complete opposite.

Anywho, back to topic. This has been a fun bridge to see come together so far. Looking forward to seeing it finished off.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The Voyager bridge was also a rebuild of the Enterprise-D bridge, as all of the interiors for Voyager were rebuilt TNG sets. Much of the dumb design and needless bits come from trying to fill the space. It was a tactical error on the part of the series people to make sets for a 344 meter ship the same size as the ones for a 642 meter ship. That's why I've never been a fan of the interior design of Voyager. It should have a smaller, more "cramped" feel, like the Enterprise refit/-A, which wasn't a whole lot smaller than Voyager.

The Defiant interior, on the other hand, was perfectly designed for a tiny ship. It had a very "no frills" look to it.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    The Voyager bridge was also a rebuild of the Enterprise-D bridge, as all of the interiors for Voyager were rebuilt TNG sets. Much of the dumb design and needless bits come from trying to fill the space. It was a tactical error on the part of the series people to make sets for a 344 meter ship the same size as the ones for a 642 meter ship. That's why I've never been a fan of the interior design of Voyager. It should have a smaller, more "cramped" feel, like the Enterprise refit/-A, which wasn't a whole lot smaller than Voyager.

The Defiant interior, on the other hand, was perfectly designed for a tiny ship. It had a very "no frills" look to it.

Considering how large all Federation ships are... there's no reason a bridge on an Intrepid class cannot be the same size as the one on a Galaxy class.
    In relation to the rest of the ship, bridges are comparatively small.

'Cramped' never made any sense.
    This is the future we're talking about. Technical efficiency allows you to do more with less. If the Federation was real, 7 years between the Galaxy and Intrepid classes would have produced massive technological breakthroughs via automated R&D (of course the writers never thought about it really).

For that matter, there was 0 point in making the Defiant 'submarine' like. Again, there's just 0 point.
    Each ship will have or not have certain facilities depending around what concept its designed for.
    The bunkbeds were pointless. Each person could have been given their own room.

Someone should have really consulted buckminster fuller books for better understanding.

370 odd years into the future and what do we get?
    Current day paddling of writer inability to think outside the box because they didn't want to make it look 'too advanced' (shees, the Federation SHOULD have been far more advanced).
    Sure, there's no reason it can't be the same size. However, it had less stations, leading to a more "spread out" layout. That raises the question of what to do with the rest of the space, leading to all of those pointless railings and whatnot. (which were no help at any time when the ship was shook up, which it frequently was) The whole point of Voyager was a ship more technically advanced than the Enterprise in a smaller package.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    You want the smallest bridge in Star Trek history? Here you go...

nakednow010.jpg

nakednow011.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    The Voyager bridge was not a rebuild Enterprise-D bridge. The stage used at Paramount was the same, but the structure was brand new.

Indeed there's no real need for the bridge to *be* smaller, but given how it has less stuff in it, it was just big for the sake of being big, not because it's functional in any way. A producer simply said that it had to be the greatest, most advanced bridge we've ever seen, so they just did that.

Getting back to the Quasar, I've done the padding for the chairs of the aft consoles. I've also worked on getting the correct shape for the aft panels, as they're completely flat rather than following the curve of the rest of console.

c5_17_by_rekkert-dbeebdw.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Sweet update. :D
    Great work on the padding, those aft consoles are really coming together. :thumb:
    Rekkert wrote: »
    The Voyager bridge was not a rebuild Enterprise-D bridge. The stage used at Paramount was the same, but the structure was brand new.

Indeed there's no real need for the bridge to *be* smaller, but given how it has less stuff in it, it was just big for the sake of being big, not because it's functional in any way. A producer simply said that it had to be the greatest, most advanced bridge we've ever seen, so they just did that.

Ah, I knew they used the same stages, I couldn't remember to what degree they tore the old sets down. That was my thing about Voyager, its bridge seems big for the sake of being big. But, that's me. It's still a pretty cool ship and a good show.
    You want the smallest bridge in Star Trek history? Here you go...

nakednow010.jpg

nakednow011.jpg

That's the corridor outside the bridge. The bridge, by that point, was uninhabitable. Only a little bit of it was shown on a viewscreen. Funnily enough, I just watched that episode again a couple days ago.
    That's the corridor outside the bridge. The bridge, by that point, was uninhabitable. Only a little bit of it was shown on a viewscreen. Funnily enough, I just watched that episode again a couple days ago.

Kinds strange that they have the commissioning plaque at the end of the corridor...
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    The Bridge of the Tsiolkovsky was a basic set wall, with the TWOK bridge chairs.

As far as the Voyager sets, They used the turbolift from TNG, which was redressed in s7, then redressed for Generations, then redressed for VOY, they also used the jefferies tube, various Kbeams, junior officers quarters, captains quarters, that stretch of corridor that was outside of the captains quarters, redressed (heavily) the transporter room, Holodeck area of the corridors. Engineering was originally the nacelle control room, and was then spliced with the remaining set from engineering. Parts of Sickbay were reused / modified heavily.

Basically the Bridge was new, the rest was redressed in various ways but followed most of the same structure as was laid out on TNG.
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
    Kinds strange that they have the commissioning plaque at the end of the corridor...

Yep, but that's what they did. The bridge was completely depressurized at that point, so Riker and Data couldn't enter.

At least it was readable, unlike the Enterprise-A plaque, located above the viewscreen where no one can read it, for no apparent reason.

I've finished the bottom part of the chairs, as well as the rails on the floor. This area is full of little details like the small insets where the padding meets the wall at floor level, it's really a slow process. There's a reason why I left it almost for last. :lol:

c5_18_by_rekkert-dbegv1u.png
    Wow... very nice! I really never noticed those floor rails before, or how far they extend... I guess the HD version of TNG really reveals a lot that we could never see on old 1990's TV sets! :p
    Great work so far. :thumb:
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    At least it was readable, unlike the Enterprise-A plaque, located above the viewscreen where no one can read it, for no apparent reason.

Oh god, I'd forgotten about that! :lol:
    I've finished the bottom part of the chairs, as well as the rails on the floor. This area is full of little details like the small insets where the padding meets the wall at floor level, it's really a slow process. There's a reason why I left it almost for last. :lol:

c5_18_by_rekkert-dbegv1u.png

Awesome work, although the more I look at it the more I'm glad they made some of the changes they did for Generations (I have a few of my own I'd add for that matter :D )
    @BolianAdmiral: Yeah they're only there on the first few seasons, I never noticed them until the HD releases as well :lol:

@evil_genius_180: Thanks!

@Starscream: I'm curious, that particular area had very little changes on Generations, what changes are you referring to?

Well, never plan ahead. I had hoped to be able to finish modeling the bridge by yesterday, however some personal stuff got on the way so I was only able to work today since my last update...

I've finished the aft consoles though, so that's that... I only have the door alcoves and the modeling part is done.

c5_20_by_rekkert-dbf0en1.png
    The aft stations look great! Can't wait to see the door alcoves!
    @Starscream: I'm curious, that particular area had very little changes on Generations, what changes are you referring to?

As far as the rear is concerned, I'm mostly talking about the increased detailing on the bulkheads (look to the column either side of the red alert LCARS panel), the reduced intensity on the overhead lighting, the mesh-covered turbolift alcove lighting, the "grab handles" and the increased width on those decorative ceiling struts.

The "Worf perch", metallic detailing on the aft upper console panels, and the modified LCARS were certainly improvements too, though. :)

I think I'd be curious to see a "Parallels" set of bridge plant-ons added to the Generations set, to see how that looks. :cool:
    Starscream wrote: »
    I think I'd be curious to see a "Parallels" set of bridge plant-ons added to the Generations set, to see how that looks. :cool:

IMO, that would look VERY busy. But one way to find out... lol.
    I think it could work, if it were limited to, say the Viewscreen console and the frosted glass under the horseshoe rail. Definitely no to the big glass display thingumajig though, or the "enhanced" stickers everywhere lol
    You guys are tempting me to create a USS Uberprise bridge with ALL TEH THINGS on it :lol:
    No. No! Anything but that! No!! Pleeeease!!!! :argh:
    I had to remake the archways as the curves they had were too big, but now that I've done that I'm almost done with the first alcove.

c5_21_by_rekkert-dbf9c85.png
    It's looking great. :)

I've been watching the show in HD on Netflix and your project plus seeing the bridge more clearly has me seeing stuff that I never paid attention to before. :)
    I keep being amazed at how good this bridge is looking, with every new update! The alcove looks great!
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! Yeah, the amount of thought and care that went into production for this set is amazing, they really went above and beyond while planning everything out.

@BolianAdmiral: I'm glad you are! :)

I've finished this alcove. The texture for the door will change later on to more accurately reproduce the look of 'Future Imperfect', for now I just used the textures from the Anchorage to help me get the shapes right.

I've also added a small grid texture to the lights above the alcove and above the aft stations. It's a subtle effect but it's closer to the original now (which I'm assuming was a polycarbonate plate placed below the lights).

c5_22_by_rekkert-dbfc2e3.png
    Looks amazing so far!
  • CJB-94CJB-940 Posts: 0Member
    The attention to detail is wonderful man. It's easy to forget how organic the original set was, there's a hell of a lot curves in there.
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! :)

@CJB-94: Thanks mate! Yeah, having seen all the bridge structures in detail I believe this one to be the most complex. The bridges before were all cylindrical in structure, while the latter ones are more angular. This one has the perfect mix of both to be both beautiful and a pain in the back to reproduce. :lol:

I've finished the door areas, so I'm done with the modeling. One particular detail which I hadn't noticed before doing this is that the Ready Room door is actually taller than all the other ones. I wonder what's the story behind that, as I bet they originally intended all doors to be of the same height.

I'll move onto UV mapping now and start with the consoles and labels next.

c5_24_by_rekkert-dbfh05m.pngc5_23_by_rekkert-dbfh05a.pngc5_25_by_rekkert-dbfh067.pngc5_26_by_rekkert-dbfh070.png
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Huh. I wonder if it's a consideration of the Ready Room set, maybe that door needed to be taller for some reason. Or perhaps it was so the actors would remember which door is which. But I never noticed that either.

God I love these.