Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBeyond A

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the new design much better than the last one. And, Nightfever always does fantastic work. Plus, with the design seen so little in the film, Nightfever's model really helps you get a better look at it.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    That's absolutely stunning work. Very graceful lines all around. And yeah, personally I like this design over the JJprise as well. It looks more back to form over what the JJprise was. I can't help but think that's the reason they trashed the original...

"Ugh, that ship still looks ugly after two films. How the hell are we going to get rid of it?"

"We can rebuild it. Make it better. We have the technology. Better than it was before. Better...stronger...faster. Let's just make a new movie solely for the purpose of trashing the old one."

"Great idea! Let's get to it!" pops in Beastie Boys
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    That's absolutely stunning work. Very graceful lines all around. And yeah, personally I like this design over the JJprise as well. It looks more back to form over what the JJprise was. I can't help but think that's the reason they trashed the original...

"Ugh, that ship still looks ugly after two films. How the hell are we going to get rid of it?"

"We can rebuild it. Make it better. We have the technology. Better than it was before. Better...stronger...faster. Let's just make a new movie solely for the purpose of trashing the old one."

"Great idea! Let's get to it!" pops in Beastie Boys

According to Sean Hargreaves the script basically called for the same ship with the neck and pylons thickened a bit. It sounds like he took it on himself to design a new ship.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Nice to see a sharp bevel to the saucer.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    gerb200 wrote: »
    According to Sean Hargreaves the script basically called for the same ship with the neck and pylons thickened a bit. It sounds like he took it on himself to design a new ship.

Or basically, as it was in the first two films before they changed it for the third to look weaker so that they could make a version at the end that looks stronger. The downside of CG over miniature, to easy to change things for the sake of it.

Most of the elements of the new design are okay, but all put together it just looks like a mess to me.

It's a fantastic looking model though, Nightfever. Great job.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    for all this chat about how much better the new ship looks, I can't actually tell the difference between them!
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    IRML wrote: »
    for all this chat about how much better the new ship looks, I can't actually tell the difference between them!

The differences don't beat you over the head, but the small numerous changes evolve the make the whole. This design is what the Enterprise should have been in 2009, imo. Here is a good look at the changes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPFKXKXKR6w
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Looking fantastic! I like how you don't rely on textures to detail it up.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    I prefer the concept art version of the Beyond-A to the final on-screen version - the final version was brought closer to the JJPrise by the VFX team under the direction of the studio, so it was not entirely what the designer Sean Hargreaves intended. I think the final version undermines a lot of the design language of the concept. However, the original design brief was apparently "keep everything the same but make the neck and pylons thicker" so apparently Sean was pleased that he got away with making more changes than were requested and that many of these made it into the final version.

However I do think if you hate the 2009 ship then you're not allowed to like this one, because stylistically they're IDENTICAL just the nacelles and pylons are slightly differently shaped but the style and the detailing are exactly the same.
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Thank you guys. By the way I made a variant of the secondary hull which is following more Sean Hargreaves design.
    I'll show some caps tomorrow. Maybe I'll bring this variant to an end... some day.

Texturing is going ahead. Here is a preview of the the secondary hull with UVs and main saucer colour map.
    To lay out the saucer's UVs I used the tutorial by Tobias Richter, that he posted here some years ago.

beyond-a_wip23.jpg

beyond-a_wip22.jpg
    Here is a wip shot of the variant (open in new tab for full size):
    The secondary hull is pretty much the same, but the way how the pylons are joint is very different.

variant_wip1.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That has a bit more of an organic look to it than the other version. I'm not really sure which I prefer.

It's cool seeing your process as far as mapping. UV unwrapping is still mostly a mystery to me.
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    UV unwrapping is still mostly a mystery to me.

Oh I heard that brother! Just about drove me crazy trying to unwrap the hull on V1 of my battle carrier. Finally just gave up.

Both hulls are pretty cool!
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    The differences don't beat you over the head, but the small numerous changes evolve the make the whole. This design is what the Enterprise should have been in 2009, imo. Here is a good look at the changes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPFKXKXKR6w

I think the changes are pretty radical. The angle of the saucer rim, the pylons, (how they attach to) the nacelles, the neck, ... it all combines to a less elegant version of the '09-Enterprise (and the changes made to that one for Beyond didn't flatter the design either).

But then, this is all a matter of taste. Nothing beats the Probert-version of the Enterprise, in my view.

And, of course, Nightfever is doing a fantastic job with this mesh.
    Finishing line is in sight, just a couple of days.;)
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    What? No, we want it now! ;)

Take your time, I'm sure the end result will be awesome!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Excellent. It will really be our first good look at the ship that's not just from one angle like the movie.
  • John MarchantJohn Marchant336 Posts: 96Member
    Im glad your nearly finished Alex, you derserve a break afterwards.
    Thanks John. Concerning the break, two other models are in the making already. I consider to make a wip thread when the A is done.
    Aw man. I saw a new post by nightfever and thought this was going to be the big reveal. Heh.
    Wow, busy busy busy i cant wait to see the WiP to see what you are working on next.
    Here are the first renders of the final model. There are some minor things to fix, but overall she is done.
    More info and renders later.
    (open image in new tab for full size)

1701a_final3.jpg

1701a_final2.jpg
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    G E I L !! Danke!:):thumb:
    Awww, sweet! The only thing I'd say is you seem to have no NCC-1701-A registry on the back of the nacelles like in the film. It can be seen in the build timelapse. But other than that, she's a beauty!
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Awww, sweet! The only thing I'd say is you seem to have no NCC-1701-A registry on the back of the nacelles like in the film. It can be seen in the build timelapse. But other than that, she's a beauty!

I missed that, will fix it
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Really nice work.
    Are you planning on releasing the mesh?
    Which program did you use?
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    :eek!:

Deks, he uses Cinema 4D. :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Nice. :)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    Just beautiful!
    Well done Alex and glad you can finally see the finishing line on this one. Love the images.