Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

The Orville

rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
edited September 2017 in General Discussion #1
This looks interesting. The sets look sort of TNG, but bigger.

Small doses of McFarlane can be funny, but sometimes he overestimates how funny he is, and it gets tiresome.

http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-15/seth-macfarlane-jon-favreau-new-series-the-orville
Post edited by rojren on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, I'm not a Seth MacFarlane fan, but that actually does look pretty funny. I'd read a while back (a couple years or so ago) that he wanted to develop a Star Trek show. They said "no," so I guess we're getting a parody instead.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    the visual effects look pretty weak
    IRML wrote: »
    the visual effects look pretty weak

The whole thing kind of screams "low budget" to me. Look at the planet they're on with the "aliens" in a very normal looking 20th century house with a very normal looking shotgun. Plus, it's Fox. They're not known for keeping high budget Sci-Fi on the air, plus it's a comedy, so they probably wanted MacFarlane to develop it as low budget as possible. (though, that could also just be the pilot)
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    Looks like a rush to beat FX on Redshirts. Not that there has been any word on Redshirts of late. It could be fun. I have to be honest in that Seth M. seems to be getting slammed a fair bit out there since the trailer hit and I can say I don't know that I have ever seen anything he has done.
    Helot wrote: »
    I don't know that I have ever seen anything he has done.

You're not missing much, in my opinion. Family Guy. American Dad. The Cleveland Show. Ted. Ted 2. Just to name some of his "highlights." He's more a writer and producer than anything else. Most of his acting involves voice work, particularly for his own stuff.
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    Family Guy. American Dad. The Cleveland Show. Ted. Ted 2.

Now I understand. Thanks :)
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Not that big a fan of McFarlane (seems like no on is for some reason), but I like Favreau enough. Not terribly impressed by the material on display so far, but if they focus on parodying the genre instead of lazy generic sitcom gags about toilet seats and relationships, it has some potential.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    Guerrilla wrote: »
    Not that big a fan of McFarlane (seems like no on is for some reason)

Someone at Fox obviously is. Also, his shows stay on the air, so people have to be watching them. Somewhere.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    To me, that trailer wasn't nearly as funny as the crew from Voyage Trekkers. Those are real fans who do hilarious Trek parody with no budget. www.voyagetrekkers.com
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Fun fact: the ship is an actual minature
    C_561uzV0AAvC8S.jpg
    111625.jpg
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    That's nice to see.
    That is cool. :)
    These just showed up on Twitter
    DAXdbpPUwAAk2ak.jpg
    DAXdbZjUIAAsE3p.jpg
    111630.jpg111631.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I like the front end okay, but I'm not a fan of the drive units.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    rojren wrote: »
    This looks interesting. The sets look sort of TNG, but bigger.

Small doses of McFarlane can be funny, but sometimes he overestimates how funny he is, and it gets tiresome.

http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-15/seth-macfarlane-jon-favreau-new-series-the-orville

TNG meets Galaxy Quest
    Well, I've seen worse first episodes. But there was too much "We're gonna do this...wink, wink" foreshadowing. The effects had an odd look about them. I liked that the ships are actually maneuverable. I liked that there was a Wright Flyer model on the captain's desk. I hated that everyone had to stop and pose to before taking a shot with their pistols. And, as expected, there was too much McFarlane 'uncomfortable "humor"'.
    I'm assuming it's available to view online, so I'll probably watch it today.
    rojren wrote: »
    And, as expected, there was too much McFarlane 'uncomfortable "humor"'.

Yeah, that's been my biggest concern. Still, I'll give it a watch.
    I've gotta say, it wasn't bad. It wasn't great either, but pilots can be rocky. I definitely could have done without Seth MacFarlane's twelve year old sense of humor, but he did a pretty decent job on it. I don't imagine they had the biggest budget, (it's Fox) which is probably why some of the CGI looked a little outdated. But, it wasn't terrible . You can't expect the very best from every project. Also, it may improve as the series goes on. We'll see.
    I think I see a pattern. Comedy - use a hammer. Issues of Morality - use a hammer. Character development - use a one-dimensional hammer.
    I haven't seen the latest episode because I was at work. I'll see it when it comes up on Hulu, probably tomorrow.
    The second and third episodes weren't as heavy with the humor and the third one did feel more like Trek,
    I actually like that they're tuning down the humor. I think they're trying to make it more of a drama with humorous elements. Though, I don't really like Gordon. I can handle the rest, but he seems too stupid to be an officer to me. I must say, I was a bit surprised by how episode 3 wrapped up. Not a bad kind of surprise, but I didn't really see it coming. I like shows that don't follow a predictable pattern.