Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

So, what happened? (2017)

rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
edited May 2017 in General Discussion #1
I was going to say something silly, but I thought it would probably miss the mark. So what was it this time?
Post edited by rojren on

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    given the site was spewing 0k txt files likely a corrupt database.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    given the site was spewing 0k txt files likely a corrupt database.

Seems so...

I'm happy that it's back again and that it wasn't something severe.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    The resolution took long enough, might I add? I was afraid SFM was a goner for good this time...
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    There was a screwup with domain renewal and backups, which resulted in the downtime while data was recovered. Beyond that, not much more to say, apart from thanks for your patience and concern during the downtime- your interest and continued support is certainly not taken for granted. It's good to be back! :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Whew. You scared me. Thanks for the work getting everything up and running.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    IT LIVES!
    *coughcoughhackcough*
    Ah, 'cuse me.

It lives...
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Samurai wrote: »
    There was a screwup with domain renewal and backups, which resulted in the downtime while data was recovered. Beyond that, not much more to say, apart from thanks for your patience and concern during the downtime- your interest and continued support is certainly not taken for granted. It's good to be back! :)

Thanks for the explanation.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    If something like this happens again, can the admins PLEASE post a message on the Facebook page or on one of the other sites SFM'rs frequent?
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    So glad you are back! I was getting the shakes.
    If something like this happens again, can the admins PLEASE post a message on the Facebook page or on one of the other sites SFM'rs frequent?

Hey Homer, we'll post as and when we have information to share- we'll do our best to ensure quick communication, but do bear in mind as well that the staff are doing this around families and day jobs too. :)
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I'm sure we all appreciate that, Samurai. I certainly do. But maybe a quick "workin' on it" on the Facebook page?
    Due to Facebook having a membership wall it is a bit useless for news as non members cannot see any content.
    It's a challenge all round, and I see both points.

I set up the Facebook page (not sure what to do with it yet or how it relates to SFM proper), but in all honesty we got news it was being worked on and by the time I got to a point where I could post you'd already beaten me to the punch and noted it was back. :)
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Ever since the site came back up after last week's outage I've been getting page redirections every time I click on any of the forum headers. This has been happening on my iPad all week and I just tried it on my PC at work and got another page redirection. Is the site infected with a virus or malware of some kind or was this done as a fund raising effort using click-thru or pay to click? Anybody else seeing this? It only happens when I am on this site and only when I click on the forum headers.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Yeah, that just started today for me, and NewTabTv malware keeps trying to load.
    Where on the header, have you looked at the live link (IE what would be shown in the status bar) Have tyou looked at a list of loaded content or scripts?

I have found the following sites attempting to load content.

mfio.cf/
    >script
    mlvc4zzw.space/1082464/
    XML Request
    oei1.gq/ ---->loading script

I have since blocked these at the machine level and on my router.

They could be blocked or part of the security tracking etc none have really come up with bad site results. I have yet to see any redirects or spam loading up that is not the typical site things IE google spam. It could be the google stuff as if someone recently found a hole in the filtering.

I have not really seen anything in the site code (cursory glance) so it could be a google script hole that is allowing a full page overlay that captures your activity and redirects to spam etc

I have scripts that block all of this content blocking stuff because too many abuse it as a way to ransom site content. IE get you to do something or give information to access the site. TrekBBS pulled this crap so you cannot access the site at all with any scripts or content mods leaving you open to anything that could creep in from all the 3rd party crap they run.

One that seems to kill most of the overlays is a grease monkey script called anti-adblock killer.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    I'm getting the same thing as SeanP. The redirect opens in another tab and I just close it before it gets very far. Doesn't seem like much of a threat, but it is annoying.
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Okay, now the redirects are happening when I click through pages in the threads now. This is getting very annoying and from a technical side of things can represent a threat as banners and pages of this type can be easily infected with a virus by an unscrupulous person.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'd suggest installing an ad blocker add-on, such as Ad Block Plus or uBlock Origin. That's what stopped this crap from happening for me.

Though, I sure hope this is being looked into.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Samurai wrote: »
    It's a challenge all round, and I see both points.

I set up the Facebook page (not sure what to do with it yet or how it relates to SFM proper), but in all honesty we got news it was being worked on and by the time I got to a point where I could post you'd already beaten me to the punch and noted it was back. :)
    Yeah I hear. Everyone's busy and all grown up :D