Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like this look for both the structural supports and the ceiling. It has a great TNG look to it.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @evil_genius_180: I actually feel bad for the poor souls who have to stand up for 8 hours right besides the captain, better to just give them chairs. :rolleyes:

Meh, I do that every day I work. :p
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Well, I would give you two some chairs too if I could. :P

Final update for the day, I've added several more bits around the side stations.

c6_01_by_rekkert-db5egql.png
    JES
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Awesome! It definitely looks like a pre-TNG bridge that underwent a TNG upgrade... Can't wait to see what LCARS version you "install" :D
    @Starscream: Thanks! I'm planing on early TNG style LCARS.

I've finished with the front part of the bridge. Except maybe a few details, I think I'm done with the modeling part for this one.

c7_01_by_rekkert-db5hja7.png
    JES
    That looks really nice. Nice and clean TNG style. :)
    Season 1 greenish-yellow + blue, or mid-Season "guest ship of the week" oranges and purples? ;)

I was never a big fan of the latter (that combination always looked obnoxiously un-starfleet to me), but I have to admit it might work well here against the muted greys of the bulkheads and carpet....
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    I love these designs! On your latest ships the side consoles are you following the established side console design for the Ent-A, Excelsior, Ent-B, Ent-E, Equinox, etc.?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99878876@N02/26871956075/in/album-72157644542637766/
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
    batboy853 wrote: »
    I love these designs! On your latest ships the side consoles are you following the established side console design for the Ent-A, Excelsior, Ent-B, Ent-E, Equinox, etc.?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99878876@N02/26871956075/in/album-72157644542637766/

IMO while that console layout worked fine for Ent-A and -B, it shouldn't have cropped up again -- it wasn't the defacto design by the time of the Ambassador and later generations, and the only reason it appeared on new bridges was because of the need for the Voyager production team to recycle their expensive Excelsior "Flashback" bridge. It looks glaringly anachronistic after TNG.

As for why Zimmerman recycled those consoles (not to mention the turbolift alcoves!) for the Ent-E - several generations down the line technologically and with a motion picture budget to boot - Lord only knows. :rolleyes: That entire ship is an eyesore though, so meh...
    greenish-yellow + blue, I don't like the orange and purple LCARS either.

The side consoles are completely original. On the older ships (Patagonia and Nomad) they follow that style closely, on the newer bridges (Galatea and Charybdis) they are less similar.

While I would've preferred a completely new design, they made the older console layout look good and TNG enough for the Equinox and Prometheus IMO.

However I agree 100% with the Enterprise-E, that bridge took so many elements from so many different eras (turbolifts from TMP, consoles from Ent-A, Light fixtures from Ent-B, details from the Ent-D) that even with the new chairs and central consoles, it lacks its own personality. I love the Ent-E, it's my favorite, but I hate that bridge, even the layout is awful and hard to read. The colors are cool, that much I would give them. I would love to have seen a version more faithful to Eaves' original concept for that bridge, with more separated consoles, and a far more consistent design style.

Rant over, returning to the Charybdis, all the UV maps for the LCARS are done, now I just have to produce them. :P
  • SnowCrashSnowCrash191 Posts: 279Member
    Just come across this thread and that's some great work!
    Thank you very much SnowCrash!

I've started working on the LCARS today. Also, I've made the lights half as much bright as they were before, in order to make the bridge more uniformly light and closer to the TNG brightness level.

c6_03_by_rekkert-db5plof.png
    JES
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I'm just so happy right now. It's like a childhood memory brought to life, in HD. I want to step through the screen and wander around.
    greenish-yellow + blue, I don't like the orange and purple LCARS either.

Wow, I thought I was just about the only one who thought that! Happy to hear from a like mind :)
    While I would've preferred a completely new design, they made the older console layout look good and TNG enough for the Equinox and Prometheus IMO.
    The LCARS work was brilliant on them; you could see how much the technique has improved since the beginning of TNG - even for guest bridges like those. Shame DS9 didn't get the opportunity to use the set (or at least, I don't think they did? Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
    However I agree 100% with the Enterprise-E, that bridge took so many elements from so many different eras (turbolifts from TMP, consoles from Ent-A, Light fixtures from Ent-B, details from the Ent-D) that even with the new chairs and central consoles, it lacks its own personality.
    Agreed. I don't understand either why they didn't even bother changing the design of the leather padded segments under the consoles - that and the lighting grills below, again, really stuck out like a sore thumb to me.
    I love the Ent-E, it's my favorite,
    This is definitely where we differ - I absolutely detest the Ent-E exterior. So much of it screams "throwback" out of some misplaced sense of nostalgia by Eaves (who admittedly was never a TNG viewer, let alone a fan). Such a wasted opportunity in that ship.
    I hate that bridge, even the layout is awful and hard to read. The colors are cool, that much I would give them. I would love to have seen a version more faithful to Eaves' original concept for that bridge, with more separated consoles, and a far more consistent design style.

Definitely agreed on the layout. No ergonomics at all. Plus I've always been a little disappointed that they dropped the horseshoe rail, as I once read a report that they were keeping it (or an updated version) while FC was in production.

That concept art I always liked (and the same for his work on the Ent-D bridge concepts for Gen), but I imagined the 'E' bridge concept in tones and colors more similar to Generations or maybe even TFF, rather than the over-bronzed, heavily decorated eyesore that we got in FC (what was up with all the black tape markings on everything?!). That thing looks more Ferengi than Federation! :D The low lighting level didn't help with the cluttered appearance, either, I think...

That latest image is incredibly pretty! Wouldn't mind jumping in and having a 'play' on the consoles myself... Out of curiosity did you consider any alternate color schemes for the decor when you were thinking up the design?
    Looking great. I like the colors you picked for your LCARS.
    @BlueNeumann: wow, thank you very much, I'm happy that my work is able to give such a big emotional response. :D

@Starscream: As for alternative colors, I originally intended the consoles and walls to be beige like on the Ent-D bridge, but then I saved that idea for another concept of mine.

@evil_genius_180: Thanks mate!

More work on the LCARS. I've finished the main Helm/Ops consoles, as well as the bottom part of the surrounding stations and started with several other details. Still a lot to do.

c3_02_by_rekkert-db5sl7h.png
    JES
    That's getting near-perfect!

Only one suggestion, if I may: Unless it's what you're aiming for anyway, the yellows on the LCARS look a little oversaturated in comparison to TNG, as per screencaps from TNG 'Brothers'. Image 074 (top-right) in particular nicely illustrates the shades and variations. :)
    Thanks!

When I first started with the LCARS, the color was a lot more of a copy of the original colors from TNG. However, I didn't particularly liked how they looked with all the gray, so I changed them a bit (resembling more the LCARS from Parallels in the end).

If you all think it's too bright, I'll change them, so please tell me what you think

Other than that, I've finished with the Helm/Ops consoles, as well as the captain's chair and the standing consoles besides it. I've also laid out the remaining consoles, so I hope to be able to finish this by tomorrow.

c6_04_by_rekkert-db5twrp.png

c1_10_by_rekkert-db5u273.png
    JES
    That's looking awesome. :)
    Ahh, that makes sense then - I did for a second think it looked much more like Parallels, but then you'd said early TNG was your aim so wasn't sure! Nice update :cool:
    Thank you both for the comments!

I've finished the LCARS for the Mission Ops, Science, and Engineering stations, only two to go!

c6_05_by_rekkert-db5z2sz.png
    JES
    I remember hearing that Voyager was designed to feel like you're inside a PC. With no disrespect to them, THIS feels like you're inside a PC. In the best possible way, of course.
    Reeyyy! Nice job there :)
    Great stuff. :) How are you making your LCARS? Vector graphics?
    Thanks guys! :D

@evil_genius_180: That's right, I use Inkscape for all the graphics.

Aaand the Charybdis is finished! Here's how the two remanining consoles look, now I'll go prepare all the high quality renders.

c6_06_by_rekkert-db62hy6.png
    JES
    Something I like about these consoles is that you could easily do punchouts for 16:9 monitors in the LCARs to replace the 4:3s without much difficulty at all.
    That looks awesome. Great stuff.
    @evil_genius_180: That's right, I use Inkscape for all the graphics.

Sweet! Inkscape is a great program. :)
    Well, a lot of things happened this week :lol:

First of all, here are all the finished renders for the Charybdis:
    uss_charybdis_bridge__1_by_rekkert-db6hnp2.png

uss_charybdis_bridge__2_by_rekkert-db6hnpm.png

uss_charybdis_bridge__3_by_rekkert-db6hnq6.png

uss_charybdis_bridge_cutaway_by_rekkert-db6hnqp.png

After that was done, I returned to an old design of mine. This bridge was started after the Patagonia, but I left it because it never looked completely right to me... It's the bridge of a Buenos Aires class ship, and I wanted it to have a TMP era layout but with TNG elements (just like the exterior of the ship).

Now, after re-scaling it and re doing a lot of it, here's how it looks:

c3_06_by_rekkert-db7h9ic.png

c4_05_by_rekkert-db7h9h3.png

c5_02_by_rekkert-db7ha80.png

I'm not completely sold on the side consoles, I might re do them entirely. Thoughts?
    JES
    I hate you.

No, what's the other word. Love. I freakin' love you.

For the Buenos Aires (Hellllooo Buenos Aires!), I'd suggest putting the nav/conn consoles closer together, like the Excelsior bridge. Might make the middle a little more unified. The side consoles might look different after that (I do like the idea of those back consoles being reusable like the movie consoles were... just stick 'em into a wall!) Maybe if they had the little chairs like TNG instead of the high backed chairs you have might fit better as well. I like the idea that the whole ship might be automated, so not all of those stations are in use all the time.

My only issue? The layout seems too flat, the steps seem too shallow. I'd make the pit a bit deeper, maybe raise the outer rim by a step to divide the space up a little bit.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I love these so much. I LOVE your circuitry access panel for the Charybdis bridge.
    The Charybdis bridge looks fantastic. Great work. :thumb:

The Patagonia looks really good so far too. :)