Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Innovator

dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
edited January 2018 in Work in Progress #1
New ship 3d model sketch.

You can view the model in the 3d viewer here:
https://p3d.in/eL5Fw

Heavily inspired Sovereign Class and MKF's current design. Maybe too similar? I think that's mostly the saucer though. I love long slender nacelles.

This project is probably going to be a slow burner.

Any thoughts, references or suggestions?

Screenshot 2017-01-02 02.35.54.jpg
111094.jpg
Post edited by dreamwalker on
Tagged:

• dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
    sHiq6h8.png
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the look of this a lot. There's something about smooth flowing shapes that gets me interested.

In terms of suggestions, from the side profile the design seems slightly front heavy. Maybe move the nacelles back a smidge or make them longer? Cut a bit off the forward part of the saucer?
    Anyway, you're the designer, so I'll leave it up to you to do what you please :)
    Psychyo wrote: »
    I like the look of this a lot. There's something about smooth flowing shapes that gets me interested.

In terms of suggestions, from the side profile the design seems slightly front heavy. Maybe move the nacelles back a smidge or make them longer? Cut a bit off the forward part of the saucer?
    Anyway, you're the designer, so I'll leave it up to you to do what you please :)
    I've really changed the scale -

Heres the newest version:
    https://p3d.in/ntrtw

ugq9jY8.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    The 3/4 forward view is pretty awesome. The front view... looks a bit... dunno... thick?
    BTW, is adding attachments for the thread thumbnail - broken?
    rojren wrote: »
    The 3/4 forward view is pretty awesome. The front view... looks a bit... dunno... thick?
    That wasn't a real ortho to be fair

How about this?

1wqhk0Z.png
    It's still not it's best side, but yes, that's better.
    New link:
    https://p3d.in/Wp58M

Haven't had much time to work on this of late, hopefully some real movement this week. I've swept the pylons and nacelles forward and given it a better look from the forward and beneath view points. I'm 99.95% happy with the shape so it'll be a case of figuring out the details and re-meshing this week.

JrIzTV2.png
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Cool radical design! Very creative! :thumb:
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Good angles.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Gorgeous design.
    Here's an update.

Remeshed the ship, decided on making it more muscular. Working out what is to go where etc. If you've got any thoughts and suggestions please let me know. Thanks to all the comments so far. :)

Model viewer link:
    https://p3d.in/wFYAw

Screenshots from inside c4d.
    q66qQE4.jpg
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    nice design... have to admit i was looking at your deflector array thinking oh no, oh no.... only because it looks very similar to a design i've been working on (shape wise) great side profile tho.. looks lovely and sleek.

cant wait to see it with textures.
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm loving the sweeping curves on this ship.

Just one little critique, I think the nacelles could be widened a bit. Just give them a bit more mass to balance with the rest of the ship.

Look forward to see where you go from here.
    markmassey wrote: »
    nice design... have to admit i was looking at your deflector array thinking oh no, oh no.... only because it looks very similar to a design i've been working on (shape wise) great side profile tho.. looks lovely and sleek.

cant wait to see it with textures.
    Haha, thanks! I've just had a look at your design and it's much closer to the kind of vessel i normally try to create. Star Trek ships are usually an exercise in patience for me. :D Still a ton of geometry to go before texturing, and I have no idea how to make the circular hull panel texture I've seen a lot of on other designs... If you have any tips I'm all ears!

Psychyo wrote: »
    I'm loving the sweeping curves on this ship.

Just one little critique, I think the nacelles could be widened a bit. Just give them a bit more mass to balance with the rest of the ship.

Look forward to see where you go from here.
    Great suggestion, I'll do this on the next version I upload. Going to work on the saucer and tbe bridge next.great suggestion, I'll do this on the next version I upload. Going to work on the saucer and tbe bridge next.
    Kinda struggling with the details a bit. If anyone has any good references for paneling and meter scale detail that might work for this design, let me know.

Here's a preview: (lots of mesh errors atm too)
    https://p3d.in/tlZZA
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I like the design. Looks very organic and aquarian to me.
    Here's an update.

https://p3d.in/ydeF7

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the design and that's some fantastic modeling. I'm amazed at how much of it is one piece.
    I like some of the changes, but I like some things from the previous version better. I like the 'seam' along the front of the nacelles and down the pylons, and cuts into the secondary hull. The nacelles from the side look good, but from the top look looong. Maybe more of a flare at the front would help? I liked the earlier version of the underside of the saucer. And the aft end of secondary hull seems too pointy

Having said more negatives than I planned - I'll say she's got a lot of great angles.
  • bobafettbobafett0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the direction you are heading. Nice work!
    And I liked the position of your impulse engines on the lower nacelle struts.
    Maybe push the design of the saucer a little further (similar to Ent E) as the engineering hull looks more advanced.
    Made some changes based on your feedbacks.

https://p3d.in/o1QE0

Semi reverted the hull back to a more ent-e style, though not completely, I've also tapered the nacelles from the top down view to make them smaller looking.

Beyond a bit of cleaning up. I want to fix the hull and start working on details. So if you have any major changes or bits of feedback, say them now or forever hold your peace. :D
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Nice design. I like the ship like it is. I must say I prefer that vision of a future star ship, then say the Enterprise J. I would start making the details if I was you.
    Current progress.

OibOW3g.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like it. Great work so far. :)
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    It looks amazing. I wasn't sure I liked the deflector cutout til my second look. It's great. Only thing I can say would maybe add a little on the top of the saucer to keep it from being too flat and uniform.
    Thanks for the kind comments,

I really need to finish this mother****ing mesh.
    I WILL finish this mesh god damn it.

Q9Ukt0r.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Ohhh, those added details are looking great! Very clean modeling!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Modeling complete, base texture chosen.
    xDKEQJD.jpg
    trekkipubliusr