Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2D & 3DVarious Star Trek Things

• Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Very nice. I really like this design. :)
    Beyond awesome... I love all your ships!

Thanks all!
    publiusr wrote: »
    I'd like to see you finish up your own version of the Vengeance

Looks like I need to get back into Blender!
    Kenefdz wrote: »
    This is my favorite of all your designs, hands down! Great job! Only thing I wanted to add was that on most of your designs, the pylons appear flatter and wider than the standard configuration -- is that intentional? On the Discovery it looks appropriate, but on your other designs it looks just a little bit "off" -- but just a little bit! -- They're still awesome designs!). I'm "Old School" ship design where the pylons have the inner dimensions to accommodate the "pipeworks" leading up to the warp field generators (the nacelles). Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I think the pylons are just to skinny or flimsy and seem to be designed to just connect the nacelle assembly to a major hull structure (mostly hulls containing the stardrive section of any given ship). I digress...Love your designs and keep up the great work!
    Kenefdz wrote: »
    Awesome phaser design!

Thanks! (The pylons on all my ships are actually thicker than they are in TOS design, they just look thinner because there is some tapering to them :))
    Oh, forgot to post this. I simple schematic to show where where the major sections are:

uss_seeker_base_schematic_by_hanzhefu-db0co7a.png
    Rory1707Soul ScreamJES
  • GeminiFanGeminiFan0 Posts: 0Member
    Very handsome update to an iconic design we are all so familiar with, looks modular and I like how the cowling extends over the emitter, very attractive. One very small quibble, and this is simply a personal esthetic, I think a feature like a trigger looks sort of out of place in a device like this. Would it be possible to maybe extend just the upper portion of the grip forward to approximately the location of the trigger, and then place a trigger type button, kind of similar to the 1st movie phasers?
  • GeminiFanGeminiFan0 Posts: 0Member
    Very handsome update to an iconic design we are all so familiar with, looks modular and I like how the cowling extends over the emitter, very attractive. One very small quibble, and this is simply a personal aesthetic, I think a feature like a trigger looks sort of out of place in a device like this. Would it be possible to maybe extend just the upper portion of the grip forward to approximately the location of the trigger, and then place a trigger type button, kind of similar to the 1st movie phasers?
    GeminiFan wrote: »
    Very handsome update to an iconic design we are all so familiar with, looks modular and I like how the cowling extends over the emitter, very attractive. One very small quibble, and this is simply a personal aesthetic, I think a feature like a trigger looks sort of out of place in a device like this. Would it be possible to maybe extend just the upper portion of the grip forward to approximately the location of the trigger, and then place a trigger type button, kind of similar to the 1st movie phasers?

I assume you mean the phaser? The trigger is more about the feel of pulling a trigger when you shoot it. A button just wouldn't feel right. It's like how electric pianos have weighted keys, because they way you play is effected otherwise.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I assume you mean the phaser? The trigger is more about the feel of pulling a trigger when you shoot it. A button just wouldn't feel right. It's like how electric pianos have weighted keys, because they way you play is effected otherwise.

Interesting idea. To play devil's advocate- if we go that far ahead conceptually, how relevant do you see that as being? To use an analogy, it's entirely possible that our great-grandkids won't be able to relate to the sensation of typing on a mechanical keyboard- they'll be so used to touch screens etc'. My point being that if a "button" or stud had practical/relability/longevity/cost (theoretical in Star Trek I know) benefits, do you think it would stop that change being made? There's also a secondary argument around design for a wider variety of species requirements for operation- a being with two thick fingers and an opposable thumb could struggle with the enclosed trigger design we consider "normal".

I don't have a position on this debate- I'm a big fan of "if it looks cool, then don't get too hung up on functionality" when it comes to concepts (especially in sci-fi, where almost anything can be explained), just curious. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Samurai wrote: »
    Interesting idea. To play devil's advocate- if we go that far ahead conceptually, how relevant do you see that as being? To use an analogy, it's entirely possible that our great-grandkids won't be able to relate to the sensation of typing on a mechanical keyboard- they'll be so used to touch screens etc'. My point being that if a "button" or stud had practical/relability/longevity/cost (theoretical in Star Trek I know) benefits, do you think it would stop that change being made? There's also a secondary argument around design for a wider variety of species requirements for operation- a being with two thick fingers and an opposable thumb could struggle with the enclosed trigger design we consider "normal".

I don't have a position on this debate- I'm a big fan of "if it looks cool, then don't get too hung up on functionality" when it comes to concepts (especially in sci-fi, where almost anything can be explained), just curious. :)

Am I missing something? I can't see an image of a phaser or anything... Has it been removed?

(And on an unrelated note, Samurai I've been meaning to say this for ages: I love your signature quote. That book, and the film, remain among my top favorites to this day.)
    Starscream wrote: »
    Am I missing something? I can't see an image of a phaser or anything... Has it been removed
    The phaser is at the bottom of page 5 :)
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks :)

That's a nice Type II, you can even get a sense of the weight and heft from that image. Plus with the topside looking relatively flat and uncluttered compared to a lot if the other designs out there, I suspect it might be a tad easier to aim...
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Man, that is pretty! Lovely design and well executed!
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Some corking designs there, nice.

:thumb:
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    PixelMagic wrote: »

Oh dear, gotta take care of that. Thanks!
    Almost forgot about this thread! Here's a D7 redesign concept:

vKjjins.png
    BrandenbergP5ych0p4thRory1707Soul ScreamJES
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's cool, I like how you didn't stray too far from the original design. It's clearly still a D7. I like how you even embraced the segmentation in the TOS-R model and made it look like a design feature. ;)
  • christianSchristianS0 Posts: 0Member
    Wonderfull design and execution. I wished this was used in Discovery :rolleyes:
    Only detail I am not completely fond of is the torpedo launcher, I would go with a circular one. Your version makes it look a bit too modern for my taste.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Almost forgot about this thread! Here's a D7 redesign concept:

vKjjins.png

Trek meets TRON
    Rory1707
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I like that. Nice update of the original design.
    It's been a while since I've posted! I finally got to work on some ideas that have been floating around in my head.

Science ship
    1LzPXey.jpg

Battlecruiser
    dnwYjqY.jpg

Possible redesign for the D
    qKcsbUP.jpg

I've got more in the works as well. I've started blocking out some concepts in Blender, mostly just to get the ideas out and figure out the basic shapes. I'll be posting those later.
    Rekkertashleytingerrojrenevil_genius_180Lizzy777P5ych0p4thFreakBrandenbergsrspicerwolfmanand 10 others.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Great to see you around here again! I love these concepts, particularly the science ship; they fit in great with the Eaves designs of the era.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    I agree with everything Rekkert said. I'd even say that science ship reminds me of a ship from Discovery, it could possibly be a later era successor.
    Glad to be back!

Yeah, I was thinking those 2 would be late 24th century, early 25th.
    edited May 2020 #85
    I started blocking the Saladin concept in Blender. These are just the basic shapes. Doing this gives me an idea of how the final product will look, and start thinking about the design language.

I'll put the old drawing here too for reference (I obviously changed quite a bit):
    OWcS7uo.jpg

And the new:
    aE9EyME.png
    Bybs9Jz.png
    vSHndDO.png
    5Loq3gh.png
    Too lazy to do the grids lol
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenbergP5ych0p4thpubliusrlewisnivenMcCLeoBerlinand 4 others.
    That looks really good so far.
    Too lazy to do the grids lol

A high rez bump map would work nicely. :)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited May 2020 #87
    Great stuff. I always thought you had real talent. Glad to see you back.
    I really want to do that Klingon Cruiser. Very cool.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Very, very pretty!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Can’t wait for more
    That looks really good so far.

A high rez bump map would work nicely. :)

True, true!
    Great stuff. I always thought you had real talent. Glad to see you back.
    I really want to do that Klingon Cruiser. Very cool.

Thanks! And go for it!
    scifieric wrote: »
    Very, very pretty!
    publiusr wrote: »
    Can’t wait for more

I appreciate it!

edited June 2020 #91
    Alright, here is my new and improved Crossfield concept. This time I wanted to be more faithful to the overall shape from the show than my first concept. I'm still on the fence with adding the third impulse engine. Though if anything I think would look better with a single engine on the saucer as opposed to 2 at the back of the engineering hull. *EDIT: I did remove them ;)
    tWNam12.jpg
    FmsuU3U.png
    Ft6maxL.jpg
    1FEZ0Xt.png
    LfeKBvi.jpg
    AUrlEN3.png
    q4SLyYf.png

Lastly, what TOS/Discovery ships are your favorite? I'm looking for ideas of what to do next :)
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    evil_genius_180srspicerP5ych0p4thLeoBerlinWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergLizzy777lennier1wolfmanRory1707and 2 others.