Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    A side shot with some color to the tanks. I took a liberty and filled in the engines some so that the forward part isn't completely hollow.

On another note: I am a little uncertain how the trailing edge of the "Wings" attach to the engine housing. Even though the "Wing is flat" it rides up the side of the engine housing at the back because of the angle of the wing intersecting the taper of the engine.
    111233.png
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    It is cause the base unit is flat vertical where the wing connects to the base.

sadly only links I can find are ex astris so youll have to shift click or ctrl click as he has anti-hotlink

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/klingon-tanker.jpg

You can see the flat ridge here:
    http://www.ditl.org/Images/K/KlingonTanker2.jpg
    probably a larger HD or bluray cap out there.

The vertical ridge can be seen in the aft view.
    http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/klingon/tanker_korok.jpg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Thanks MadKoiFish! Are you saying that what I am getting, is about what is to be expected?
    You know what? I think I just realized that the engine is angled up a little at the back.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    That tube intake hull thing has I think a jog in it somewhere near the heatsink. Only way to know is to find the eps the ship appears in and screen grab or hope some site like trekcore has enough caps of those scenes. Example the warp nacelle has some scenes that show it in close up if I remember it was the one where Archer uses the grappler to rip some bits off the nacelle to damage the ship. I think it was the plain non tanker of this ship.

I hope these outlines show the ridge I am talking about. The hull is not a tube like surface but full of flats and odd sculpts that wave about. Excuse the crudeness of the doodles did yardwork today and that has ruined my fine hand control.

tanker_8edit.jpg
    White lines are a rough wire of your existing objects. Red is a rough guess based on the orthos. Green stuff is to show how that flat spot changes angle along the hull. To get these curves you'll need to use edge loops along the hull and subdiv it all. I also suspect the tips where those knob bits are aft is a separate mesh modeled to mate up along one of the panel lines. You will see this in the drawn over orthos where I point out a odd shadow.

tanker_korokedit.jpg
    Here I try to make geo a bit more clear. I do think there are higher rez image of this model out there. I also think doug posted a wireframe of this one or at least the non tanker version that could give some hints. I would have to dig around my archives as I might have saved the original images. ATM most of it is all reposts on pinterest or other garbage sites that recompress or spew badly resized copies of the originals about.

Nacelles if I remember they have just a solid box blocking things out just forward of the glow bits. I like what you did by adding detail vs a flat bit.

A tip too take the orthos and adjust the images levels and contrast brightness as much of the dark detail might produce hidden information.

Oh and yeah the wing does rise some but it is fairly gradual, draw some flat lines across the model and you can see what is square to the world or not.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Wow, that's nice of you to do that for me after yardwork! Or at all.

I saw this "engine" as an enclosed housing that opened up on the bottom in the back where the heat sink protrudes as well as engine mechanical detail behind it. I faithfully used the Doug's orthos to draw the visible upper curve of the engine against the wing, but perhaps didn't compare that to the orthos of the bottom. Perhaps the engine is wider in the back, than it appears above the wing (the intersection point of the wing is fooling me into interpreting the engine as tapering faster). So I was fooled into a narrower engine housing as it progresses back. This can be missed on the orthos. All I know is, something is making the trailing edge of my wing ride a bit higher up the engine. I think your hitting it and were maybe trying to say what I just wrote. I just need to reread and carefully think about what you are saying.
    Ok, got it. I see what you mean. There is a flatness to the outer (lateral) edge of the housing that exists from front to back. The wing intersects this wider flat area. My housing lacks the flat contour and slopes up and away from the wing too quickly. So the wing hits the housing later and higher up (Because the wing is angled down). I took the bottom ortho and superimposed the upper ortho in another layer in my paint program and faded it in and out. The housing does not appear wider below. But it does appear the same size. I bet if I did upper and lower orthos of my ship the upper housing would appear narrower that the lower (because of where the wing intersects it).
    Whew! There is still a lot to do but I finally have some progress on the engines at the base of the wing
    111261.png
    Another Angle.
    111262.png
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Veah, thats very nice !!!!!
    :thumb:
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    She's coming along nicely.
    Thanks you two.
    Trying to do the bottom of this has been a challenge since you cannot see it from the side in the orthos. Here's my take. There is lots of detail work and of course Texturing to do on this model.
    111275.png
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looks good. With a model that got as little screen time as this one, there's definitely some interpretation to be done.
    Not all the surfaces are textured yet, but making progress.
    111292.png
    Very nice !
    Thanks Treki,

I replaced the images in this post with updated images.
    111334.png111335.png111336.png111337.png
    Looking great. Nice and dirty, like a Klingon ship should be. ;)
    I made some accuracy progress on the D5 and replaced the 4 images above with updates. The tips of the wingtip engines are "rusted" and aged. the two engines at the top back are more accurate with an indentation on the side. The back of the ship between the engines (Dark area) has new detail.
  • RaftermanRafterman331 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work Brandenberg. Love this ship. Look forward to more.��
    The textures are really bringing it to life, even more than your awesome model did buy itself. :)
    Thanks you two, you're very encouraging. There are parts of this ship I sooooo wish we had more detail on.
    Some work to finish on this ship. My next is going to be the Klingon D4.
    Sweet! I love the D4, it should have been in the episode Unexpected, not the K't'inga, but I digress. :rolleyes:
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on that Klingon Tanker, looks awesome.

:thumb:
    I had to integrate the upper and lower portions of my ship's "abdomen" and this is the result. Before it was in pieces that did not match up. The top of the very back needed to be sloped.
    111395.png111396.png
    Very nice work !
    So I started working with the D4 engine and took some liberties with greebles. Your honest opinions are appreciated.
    111434.png
    The Side view of this D4 is replaced further along in this thread. Same angle
    That's looking awesome so far.