Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Ron Thornton RIP

mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
edited November 2016 in General Discussion #1
Sadly, Ron passed away this morning due to liver failure.

He was a good friend and an inspiration to so many.

i was lucky enough to count him as a friend.

We all owe him a debt of gratitude for making places like this a reality.
Post edited by mattc on

• SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Sad news Matt. Sending condolences to friends and family.
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    That is indeed sad news. Gary Hutzel died recently as well - what was it, last year? Loosing many of the early CGI pioneers now.

For those that don't know - Matt is credited by many as the man who brought CGI effects to television, with his work on Babylon 5. He went on to form Foundation Imaging. For anyone who watched the later seasons of DS9, Voyager or Enterprise, you'd be well familiar with their work.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Comco wrote: »
    For those that don't know - Matt is credited by many as the man who brought CGI effects to television, with his work on Babylon 5. He went on to form Foundation Imaging. For anyone who watched the later seasons of DS9, Voyager or Enterprise, you'd be well familiar with their work.

Thank you, Comco. I didn't recognize the name. It's a damn shame to hear he passed.

Wow, he certainly did have an impressive body of work. What he did on Babylon 5 was groundbreaking, and I love the work FI did on Voyager and the TMP DVD edition.
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    That is sad to hear. Watching B5 and knowing that Ron was doing his work in LW was one of my inspirations to dabble in this myself.
  • carrioncarrion61 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry to hear of his passing. Best to family and friends.
  • akeel1701akeel1701337 GlasgowPosts: 6Member
    Sad news indeed... condolences to his family and friends