Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Well, guess I wont mull over it a bit. I think I like this even though it would not allow track steer that the old drives "might" provide depending on opinion on how impulse works. Anyhow this look kind of harkens back to some of my first 3d trek models from 05~6.

tsukuru-nx-0161.jpg

Of course they wont be plain boxes. I will have to come up with some sort of shape and nozzle deal and then change out my plans for the neck area to add plating there to keep from cooking the hull there.

Drawback to this, it make the hull appear overbearing. Granted i have changed things a lot from the painting as originally I planned for the outer rim to be flat not curved.
    JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • maranmaran178 Posts: 39Member
    I guessed the impulse drive would have been in the middle of the spine section, in the darker grey "block" above the torpedo launchers.
    I really like the placement in the 2nd image in post #138.
    post 138 is a different ship.

Just some messing about box modeling them from the basic shape I had from earlier. It has me thinking maybe I should dump or redo the shuttle bay housings as I no longer need that profile to match to cutouts in the saucer edges.

tsukuru-nx-0162.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0163.jpg

For the glowing faces of the drives I have not decided if I will retain the classic grill like what I used on the Onimaru and other TNG era ships or go with a more nozzle like approach, IE appearance of more of a plasma vent than a bit of glowing glass and mesh.
    JES
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I absolutely love this ship. The nacelles, I think, are my favorite that I've seen you create. The only critique I have is the placement of the impulse engines because they seem to throw the whole design off. It makes it look a little top heavy. I wonder how the same setup would work but flipped to the underside of the saucer?
    I had the same though about moving them to the underside but pushed it aside as I would loose all the hull details and those lifeboats as they would sit in the heat wash of the grills.
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    great design, mkf. i like it a lot. good to see star trek realted meshes in this time. for me the second positioning of the impulse drives looks much better then the previous ones. just my two cents.
    The days update. Bit of a fail as I rebuilt these bloody shuttle bays over and over debating how I wanted them to sit with the hull. First I had planned to unify them into the saucer rim with the original subdiv object then changed my mind and built in these new ones. I can no longer easilty fit a runabout but a ship this size I do not see the need to accommodate such a large craft and end up with over-sized shuttle bays. I did for a second consider dumping the secondary deflector cutout idea for a forward cargo bay but I cannot justify it. Likely to dump the existing plans/objects for the shuttle ops decks above the bays.

tsukuru-nx-0167.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0168.jpg

I probably could make the openings smaller, I need to verify the scale of those larger shuttles from NEM in relation to my shuttle example before I consider smaller bay openings.
    JES
    Small update as that pesky cold kept coming back and hit me hard yesterday and most of today. So it is mostly moving bits about on those impulse levels and planning out the panels on the saucer bits. Ah I am also screwing around with the lifeboat colors to see if something other than white would work better.

tsukuru-nx-0177.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0178.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0179.jpg
    JES
    Panels and window planning. Including a rough paint over with ideas for the bottom. It is a bit messy but just probing ideas. I also decided to widen the impulse drives.

tsukuru-nx-0184.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0187a.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0188.jpg
    JES
    Updates hull panels and bits with windows and interiors. No textures for the rooms yet as I have not decided on the look. Likely I will just use noise or random images in there for now.

tsukuru-nx-0192.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0193.jpg
    JES
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    And here we go with the amazing details again... Loving it. :)
    Keep catching the same cold over and over and over. UGH 2 weeks now.
    Anyhow panels panels and more panels. I think I cur these things 7 or 8 times before I decided on this. . . .

tsukuru-nx-0212.jpg
    JES
    Mid windows and rooms. Still no wall textures so I left the gray carpet for now. Mess of random faces needing hidden edges turned so one might spot random mesh errors. max 2013 is a PITA with hidden edges as most of the time they refuse to show due to them changing how they display. So, in the end it is guess work if your clicking on one or fighting with edge and poly display to SEE them. IE something that should take a few min takes a hour. . . . . . . good going discreet. BTW auto retringulate just makes it worse as it always chooses the WORST direction to triangulate a given face. JOY.

tsukuru-nx-0227.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0228.jpg
    JES
    Collapsed the secondary hull and cleaned it up though I have thoughts of maybe working the deflector more but ehhhhhh. Added lifeboat cutouts and that sensor strip thingy to the saucer.
    tsukuru-nx-0236.jpg
    JES
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Really cool looking ship MadKoiFish! Nice textures too! :thumb::D
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    It looks beautiful. Great job on the details.
    thanks guys

Mess of small details and layout of windows and go faster stripes added. Name is tentative and I leave the connections to all of you to figure out. Though one connection further than the obvious is there but uh I cant talk about that YET.
    Class type is a shrug. Not that it is of any importance. Heck id not name it if I did not have to. :p
    Oh pink blocks I am considering making as an arboretum as I can spread out that area internally. I do not know what that hump on the back will serve/be or if I will yoink it off for something else.

tsukuru-nx-0237.jpg
    JES
    There be holes here.
    tsukuru-nx-0241.jpg

Guess it is kind of slow going as I am sort of mucking about here as I look at various ways to detail out this area. If I had the time I would probably redo this whole area of the ship to eliminate that trench look maybe by having the neckish area end somewhere midway on the deflector hull (secondary not really engineering as that is in the neck) I left those areas above and below those blue emitter things as I am debating on if I should put the phasers at the base of the struts (as seen in the top down doodle) or put the strips in either of those places along the spine sides. These would mostly be covering the aft angles as the upper strips should cover anything above the nacelles. The only EH about the upper saucer ones is where I planned for them they loose some of the downward angles due to the hull there coming out so much lower than expected. I might be able to stick those on the upper lip but plan is for them to be in the brown/gray area where the lifeboats are. I am also still debating on the saucer cut out as shown in the top down doodle.

trek****-01a.jpg

nice stupid auto censor. . . . . put $hit ($ replacing S of course) in the **** in the url to see the image.
    JES
    Mostly planning out panel lines and what not. Mostly getting aggro over dealing with the fail method of working with hidden edges in max. Still looks like a few need attention to.

tsukuru-nx-0244.jpg
    JES
    What renderer do you use?
    Mental Ray that comes in max 2013.
    Wait, how did this end up here? I messed up, this should be in my thread. Sorry.
    Please delete this post.
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    Considering that there isn't (yet) any linear phaser array/strip coverage to the rear, have you considered installing one or two small phaser turrets?

*notices you grabbed Ram. Grabs Rem for self*
    More holes. Forgot how much I hate cutting windows on these tapering curved surfaces. Also rearranged some of the various bits. The phaser strips are temp as I decide where I want them, likely they will stay in that location though.

tsukuru-nx-0247.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0248.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0250.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0251.jpg
    JES
    Mostly poking holes and mushing things about. Added new maps to the rooms as well. (took forever to find the old room files. heh.
    tsukuru-nx-0268.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0269.jpg
    JES
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Love it! I can see those slots on the wing opening to vent the warp plasma.
    Messing with materials, I doubt I will use this pearl effect vs a plainer paneling effect. Primary reason being what is going on with the right nacelle. Also that ribbed area above the spine lifeboats will probably get the simplification treatment much of the spine has gotten in the last few days.

tsukuru-nx-0272.jpg
    JES
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    Pls correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you going to have the warp core be fitted in horizontally, rather then vertically like on most Federation starships? And I think I recall you mentioning that there would be a jettison panel aft for the core. Is that new gray panel just below the aft torpedo launchers the panel you were talking about?
    I mentioned I was considering it. The hatch just aft of the raised deck shows I decided on a vertical arrangement as I had deck height for it.
    Working on another method to model the phaser strips. First i use a segment then array a mess of them weld merge etc and bend to path. This allows me to model the bits and have them exactly the same no matter the shape they need to be in.

Only suck about the method I am using is SPLINES. As they always extrude or path the wrong way. My test example caused the strip to bend upwards and inverted. Sole reason I loath splines. Anyhow render is of the arrayed objects sans a material. I still have to manually hinge the ends and model those bits on. That or I can model it and then move them manually into place. I sorta merged the VOY units with the SOV ones. VOY had that inner channel while the SOV units were a solid bar. Not sure if it is meant to have the beam emitting from the channel or those rib things on the outside.

tsukuru-nx-0274.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0276.jpg

Oh yeah I drilled more holes in the hull but well, same old same old seen one window seen em all heh.
    JES