Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    First up, I fully agree with your opinions on the Discovery.

Second, if I, hopefully very politely, suggested that your new hull might look a teeny bit better if the nacelle pylons were angled up by as little as 4-5 degrees, I hope you won't bite my head off. It just feels unbalanced currently. Also, I love the deflector.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    Some more configuration changes. Alteration to the deflector and squaring the dish to the hull and seeing if a oval would look better. Also goofing with angles struts to sorta align with the deflector housing/secondary hull. I cant make it match exactly as it makes the nacelles overlap the hull too much and if I pull it up too high they are obstructed by the saucer. ATM in profile anything forward of the strut is visually obstructed with the lower neck area.

tsukuru-nx-0041.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0042.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0043.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0044.jpg
    JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    I think I may have goofed on scale. Thinking that 360m thing was ok but comparing it to the Voyager it looks a bit small. Maybe increasing the scale up to 450 or 500m might work better for the shapes.

tsukuru-nx-0050.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0051.jpg

Random misc updates and additions of edge loops to round out the subdiv. Also rough lifeboat layouts. I do have to check these as I think the boats I am using are NOT sov scale.
    JES
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I am in serious love with those lines... as I said before, they feel like the kind of starships I draw. Sleek, simple, bold, sweeping, and a bit modern. Can't wait to see that baby developed further.
    Well scaled to 471m using Xform gizmo which sorta minimizes the annoyance of scaling objects in max. Dunno why they do not have one that allows you to mass group scale objects to size and retain the measurements in extrusions to the world IE extrude 10in in real inches vs whatever the scaled up percentage is in inches. Example is make a box add the poly edit modifier or any edit modifier copy that box or clone it without instance. Offset it some but keep the top level with the other. Then scale one box 2X, lets call it box A. Then lets go to box B extrude the top 2ft. Then go to box A and do the same you will notice it will say 2 feet but it will extrude out 4 feet instead. Apparently in max there is no way to select a working group of objects in various states and scale then and RETAIN the units as real world or keep those in scale to other non scaled objects. Least not one I know of.

Xform modifier helps as I do not have to merge up all the fing objects but I still have a modifier on the stack applying the scale that I have to collapse thus meaning I have to reapply all other modifiers in the stack after collapsing the edit to remove {or apply permanently the changes made by the xform modifier} Things like symmetry subdivision uvw etc. Just shocked there is not a proper method or alteration to the select and scale tool that corrects this stupid behavior. YES sure built it to scale everyone says but that is not always feasible or possible EXP with assets from other users using various unit scales etc.

ANYHOW she is up to that 471m in length but will likly shorten when I get to doing the nacelles as I doubt the final units will be as long as the dummy units. Only thing that bothers me is the scale of that bridge unit next to a person but compared to the voyager bridge it seems to fit. I will likely change the top most part to be less TMP like, maybe a bit hard as I took to doing unlevel decks there as it looks a bit more fun than flat decks all over. mmmmmm. I think the voyager unit was intended to lift off and work on its own like a huge lifeboat too. Speaking of lifeboats I found mine as just a hair larger than the ones off the Sovereign. By like 5" around, enough that it can be seen as model variation and or scaling issues as it imported in at 91feet. It was a fbx but other models from nightfever have imported at scale but well exported and imported models. Again image is of the new scaled ship (have a mess of proper sized objects to relocate like lifeboats torps etc). The other is of some paintings of nacelle ideas. Sort of want to do new but sort of want to stay a bit conservative as to appeal to many vs few. Then again this ship is lol likely to cause grumblings due to shape. And yah I know I have been uploading larger renders, a bit of a accident somewhere. Dunno if anyone has a preference other than wanting to spend less BW dling them. ]

tsukuru-nx-0052a.jpg
    Nacelles will likely be a bit longer or streched vs the samples. The one on the ship image itself is WAY to large.

tsukuru-nx-0054.jpg
    JES
    Oh anyone have any idea what the quadrilateral thing is between the lifeboats on the sovereign?

latest?cb=20111116154449&path-prefix=en
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm sure someone could come up with a function for them, but to me they are just a different coloured panel to fill in some of the space between the escape pods.

Warp-core-rejection-concept-art-by-John-Eaves.jpgescape-pod-y.jpg
    Not looking for anyone to come up with anything just to know if there is not some arcane official reference to them in books etc.

Rough nacelle idea. Of course the thying will get borken up more and debating on the glowy bits. Small rod half way through with glossy bits to reflect the light like on my wedgetrek bussards, or go for a more glow element thing. And if I should try to mimic that lightbulb thing where they had those hotspots sometimes in the engines. ATM it is just a cyl with glow added that is only near the front end.

tsukuru-nx-0055.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0056.jpg

Oh to note too the lifeboats on the bottom saucer are temp. I have not decided how that inner ring will be laid out so I left it fully populated.
    JES
    Glowy bits installed even thought it is not Thursday yet. It is all rough subdiv still so details are lacking and to me some shape is missing too. They are pretty conventional as well. I do plan to add "junk" into the bussard area to reflect all the light about but not sure if the diffused glass material will show it as well as the more transparent glossy domes on for example the wedgetrek model.

tsukuru-nx-0059.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0060.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0061.jpg

And yeah NCC-98100 or NX-98100 is not in use so I will probably take it.
    JES
  • dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
    Nice details, love the nacelles and deflector array.

What's the idea behind the front part of the sorcer, seems thicker somehow. Ramming speed?

And whats the small ship to the bottom right of the last ship..?
    Plating is all it is just a detail in the SOV that is more prominent in my work. Id suggest it has something to do with shaping of the deflection systems and shield shape. Keep in mind federation/trek ships have more repulsion fields than just the deflector dish in of itself. I have to say it is more stylistic choice and a solution for what to do with the arching neck structure.

Small ship is based off a image from early STO concept work, the ship was labeled IOWA and I kept that. Images should still be in this thread. I should have most of them posted on my WIP blog too
    https://bolidecascade.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/forgotten-updates-for-the-iowa-wip/
    Just the most recent update. I probably should tag these by ship name too for easier searching.

She makes for a terrible scale object as it is not a known ship.

0021.jpg
    Refinements and bits. I am reconsidering those gold things as they never showed up again after the Galaxy style nacelle. Though I dunno what to use there instead. >_> Also thinking maybe I should look to add some creases to the hull itself vs this amorphous curvature.

tsukuru-nx-0067.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0068.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0069.jpg

Ok alternate idea and I think one I am going with. It will need tightening up as some of the loops near the back end are a bit too far apart.

tsukuru-nx-0070.jpg
    JES
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looking good.

For what it's worth, those golden parts on the nacelle also appeared on the Nova class.
    Mess of small updates and parts replacement.

tsukuru-nx-0074.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0075.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0076.jpg
    JES
    Keep messing with the ships backside. Replaced that roundy thing with some superstructure. Originally I had the idea of making a awacs like sensor array there for recording sensor data about the warp field during tests etc. Really not sure about the whole back end below the saucer decks.

tsukuru-nx-0078.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0079.jpg
    JES
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    It does look kinda top-heavy at the moment, but that's more due to that you haven't done any detailing yet in the engineering section(s). And I take it that's what you meant by not being sure about what/where to add or change anything?

I kind of want to suggest stretching out a twin 'tail' on either side of the rear torp launcher, to offset the 'visual' weight of the saucer, but that would wreck the really nice/clean lines you did on the nacelles, and I don't think you'd want to mess with it either.

I'm throwing out a random idea here. Possibly extend the neck section that is on either side of the top of the deflector, to somewhat more forward? To just about even with the forward-most of the four circular spots? Start the base of the angle change at the same spot you have it for the nacelles, so again, not to mess with those clean lines of the nacelles?
    More work with the backside of the ship. Got carried away and remembered that i need warp core hatches. As the lower hull has no space for a core due to the complex deflector systems I decided somewhere in the neck is where the core will sit. Debate is horizontal or vertical. Vertical I have a max of 100ft in length. horizontal I have as much as I really need. The pink bits are 6ft dai placeholders. Given cores are random in trek, (sov and defiant were odd cluster deals) I am just generalizing a cyl shape. I think Voyager was much smaller more like 3~4ft dai. I have also decided on these top side ports over anything below as nothing below would allow clear ejection without possibility of hitting things.

tsukuru-nx-0089.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0090.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0091.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0092.jpg
    JES
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Great job! You're putting a lot of thought and work into this.
    Got sick so updates are a bit slow. Also spend a lot of time redoing work as I kept changing my mind on small details on the bridge as I was collapsing the mesh and cleaning it up.

tsukuru-nx-0112.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0113.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0114.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0115.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0116.jpg

As I am laying out the bridge decks and surrounding this one is going to be a bit odd as most canon ships the conference room is just off the bridge, or a short walk. Here if I keep it in the same deck it will end up down a hall past some offices. SO I have to mull over if I want to make it closer in and push those offices back instead. It does mean no really fancy windows though. The ones that are in atm are on the B deck.
    JES
    Ok posting mostly to update and document the ship registry.
    First line of this ship will be 79900~79908 Fist ship of class will appear as NX-79900 then later NCC-79900.
    I decided to lower the number as 98100 seemed a bit too high.

tsukuru-nx-0118.jpg

one thing I have not done anything about is a docking collar. nothing saying I need one on the upper side of the ship. Just dawning on me I have not thought of such as of yet.
    JES
    Just a quick question, where are the impulse engines going to be located? You've probably addressed this earlier but I didn't come across it in my skim read that's all.
    Plan was to have them flanking the saucer in the notches as seen on the doodle. AS lol blasted forum censored the link cause it has a no no word in. sigh. so you will have to view it on trekbbs or f3d.
    this one loads though but is from ages ago.

https://bolidecascade.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/misc-trek-001a.jpg

broken link add $hit swap s/$ as you prolly know
    https://bolidecascade.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/trek$hit-01a.jpg
    Fine tuning the interior lights took longer than the modeling. . . heh
    As I am looking at the render I am starting to dislike the triangular window set and am considering wiping them instead of the slit windows.

tsukuru-nx-0126.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0122.jpg
    JES
    Replacement rear windows.
    tsukuru-nx-0128.jpg
    JES
  • I really like the replacement windows on the rear ;) Your work is really amazing, keep it up :)
    That rear area.
    tsukuru-nx-0134.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0135.jpg
    JES
    Those details are looking superb as usual.
    Looking back I have no idea how I missed the sketches with the impulse engines, they are so obvious now. What software do you use to do your sketches?
    Paint tool SAI or Clip studio Paint.
    Mess of small updates. Most of the work is optimizations to the collapsed subdiv objects. One thing I am not sure of are the impulse drives. While a good idea in doodle form as a 3d thing I dunno. Might have to let them settle before I decide. Issue is if I undo them I will have to locate them elsewhere. Likely where that hump is. or just under it as I have to watch out for clearance of the warp core and deflector assemblies. I could stick them below the torp launcher but it would be a bit too much like a glowing butthole. I would like to have them above the plane of the warp nacelles though. Hence the original location in the saucer. Oh I could inset them on the inside areas along the "neck" with the shuttle bays flanking them. Anyhow thing sot think of as I am cleaning up the saucer bits.

tsukuru-nx-0158.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0159.jpg]

tsukuru-nx-0160.jpg
    JES