Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek Discovery

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    All I could think about when I watched the trailer was the middle bit of this one

https://vimeo.com/2168949
    (Password Dannage)

Forgive the shoddy modelling and fx. It's ten years ago... And frankly I haven't done anything since... Really must download Wings or Blender and try and learn them from scratch. Having said that, people thought the original from 1997 was fugly, and if I managed to turn that duckling into a swan, there's a lot of scope for the new ship.
  • BEMEUPBEMEUP171 Va BeachPosts: 0Member
    Okay, I like this ship. Also like all the ships before this, no one likes the design when it is first presented. Aside from the original Enterprise, the refits and pretty much the Abrams design.

I also remember the complaints about pregnant whale Galaxy Class, Voyager looking like a nose, NX not having an engineering hull and now the Discovery. Seriously, when the show airs its second or third episode, this will be the new canon and it will be accepted. Happens every time.

With that being said, here's my opinion on why I like the ship:
    1. The saucer makes better use of windows. This technically means the interior space is better utilized.
    2. The delta wing configuration is more plausible for work space and access to the nacelles.
    3. The forward "stance" is aggressive and still meets the technical warp field requirement.
    4. Sure it's a bit squared off and not smooth and sexy. Neither is a Borg ship and it gets around very well In Spaaace!
    5. The deflector is my only problem. It's small and basically a blue light. Could use more NX influence.

I just hope the stories to be engaging and fresh. It took me 3 seasons to like Voyager, hope this is worth 1 hour of commercial interruptions.

By the way, hey everyone!
  • D-JotaD-Jota390 Posts: 47Member
    BEMEUP wrote: »
    Okay, I like this ship. Also like all the ships before this, no one likes the design when it is first presented. Aside from the original Enterprise, the refits and pretty much the Abrams design.

I also remember the complaints about pregnant whale Galaxy Class, Voyager looking like a nose, NX not having an engineering hull and now the Discovery. Seriously, when the show airs its second or third episode, this will be the new canon and it will be accepted. Happens every time.

Not every time... The USS Defiant from DS9 is the only time I've been able to turn around an opinion on a hero ship of Star Trek; it was such a departure from the norm and it didn't look all that pretty, in fact as I look at it now I still think it's lacking a little grace. But then the Defiant whupped a squadron of Jem'Hadar ships and in a very short space of time I started to get it and embraced the design completely; more than that, I found it's character really addictive.

The USS Voyager... the NX Enterprise... No problem accepting those at all and the Enterprise-D? - I fell in love with that right away.

The Abrams Enterprise on the otherhand. I'm afraid after all these years, I'm still not on board with it both outside and in; I've seen fan designs of alternate 1701 Enterprises that I liked better.

As for the Discovery, I'm not crazy about it unfortunately. I thought the design was okay but it didn't blow me away, but then neither did Ralph's McQuarrie's concept images of that design back in the day; that saucer looks too small to me.
    That said, has anyone checked out what Tony Cardona was able to do with the design? Now his approach I really like! - Again, leave it to a fan to make the design work for me. (Fickle? - Perhaps I am!)

We should keep in mind that what we've seen of the Discovery thus far isn't even the finalised version of the ship, so it's really not fair for the fans to jump in so strong with the moans and groans. Who knows, an iteration or two down the line may see the Discovery score broader acceptance; hopefully me included.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    I think the overall 'idea' behind the McQuarrie version could work, as was shown by some links earlier in the thread. And I posted my video because a) It was a sort of triangle primary hull (Or Delta Starfleet shape if you prefer!) and b) The original was a concept a lot of people thought you could do nothing with and those same people said the reimagining of it was nice... If I had been a skilled modeller it could have been even better!

So I'm hoping they just get some really good company to do a good job of bringing it to the screen and improving on what we've seen.... Then they'll say "we listened to the fans"...

As for other ships, Galaxy class was strange for me because some angles looked wrong, but some angles she looked beautiful. I think DS9 actually did some of the best Galaxy Class shots. The others I've all liked. I didn't mind all the restyling on the JJprise, the only think I didn't like about her was bringing the nacelles so close together. It distorted the proportions for me and is the only time I've felt like 'they took my baby away'... :)
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I liked the ship when I saw it but I guess we'll have to wait to see what modifications they'll make to the design when the show does see release.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    BEMEUP wrote: »

Don't leave out the Excelsior. (I know, you probably meant main ships, but this deserves an honorable mention) Fan favorite? Sure, now. However, in the early 80s, Paramount was being bombarded by hate mail over that design. Fan reaction was so bad that they were going to permanently shelve the model after Star Trek IV. However, a need for models for TNG led to the ship being used and it becoming a favorite.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Ugh, this was a terrible video. I never have liked McQuarrie's design much, but I feel like it COULD work, however the overall terrible quality of this video left a bad taste in my mouth. Looks very beginning fan-boyish. Terrible textures, lighting, angles... I want to like the new ship, but based on that video it isn't doing anything for me. I'll look forward to the next video and hope that it's much more polished looking and perhaps it'll have a refined version of the ship.
  • JasonA71JasonA710 Posts: 0Member
    I was definitely hoping for some more designs from Andy Probert or something. Im not into the new ship design at all, and the cg animation quality presented is surprisingly low. I agree that they should have only released stills, not this teaser trailer
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I don't get the point in releasing a clip for a show, which is named after the ship, but maybe the featured design not being the actual design for the ship. And then blaming a lack of time to do good renders for the design, and the less than stellar (get it?) reaction to the design.

I...uh.. what?
    It actually makes a lot of sense if they wanted to gauge reactions to the design while they still had time to "fix" it. That's my best guess.

They probably just weren't expecting the backlash from the lower quality animation to be so severe, so they had to release a statement to cover their butts.

Though, still renders of the ship would have gotten the point across, but maybe they felt they needed to show some animation. It is an easier way to show multiple views of the ship and how it looks animated, as opposed to releasing a bunch of stills.
  • JasonA71JasonA710 Posts: 0Member
    True but by showing an animation clip this close to actual production, they're effectively signaling "this is what we have in store folks", but now they're dismayed at the negative public reaction. This whole business about having only 3 weeks is seriously TMI as far as the public goes, and shows unprofessionalism on the part of the studio.

Consumers dont care how long something takes to be put together. And they dont give a hoot about how long your render times are. These are excuses an employee gives his sup for missing a deadline. Consumers want something awesome and its the suits job to figure out how to make it happen and seem effortless.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    What if ST: Discovery is jumping off the Battle of Donatu V? It's the only thing close enough to Discovery that's not the Earth-Romulan War, Battle of Axanar, or the Kobayashi Maru. To the best of my knowledge they didn't say there wasn't a prologue scene, ie DS9's Emissary.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    So, ten years before TOS would be during Pike's time. Not such a great choice, in my opinion, unless they plan to make it look a lot like the Enterprise from The Cage. If they don't, they're going to tick off a lot of fans, and many are still butthurt over the ship and that low quality animation they released.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37043956

this actually makes it sound a whole lot more interesting to me

lets hope they can do it justice
    They should make the female Lt. Cdr. lead not even human. They claim they're going to have more aliens, well step it up a notch and have your main character be one of them. And, not a newly made up species, (like we seem to see more than we should in the recent movies) but one that's established. I'm thinking an Andorian main character would be cool, or maybe a Tellarite.
    "...And there will be robots."

They'll have to be very careful with that.
    Maybe experimental robots with programming limitations, no thinking machines like Data. The ship they're on could be a testbed for the technology, one that doesn't work as intended. It could be deemed that the robots are more trouble than they're worth, leading to their disuse by Kirk's time.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    Sure, why not? What could possibly go wrong?

"M-5. This unit must survive."
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    bosun wrote: »
    Sure, why not? What could possibly go wrong?

"M-5. This unit must survive."

That was so dumb.
    AI as its portrayed in most Scifi is to either turn on its creators or it goes horribly wrong and it needs to be shut down and forgotten.
    Idiots.
    The Federation is a space-faring civilization. Automation would be paramount in such a society (not manual labor), not to mention the only viable way for starship/station construction that would go thousands of times faster and more accurate than any humanoid could possibly muster.

AI and robots get portrayed as the villains (sans the 'unusual/unique' Data) because the writers know 0 about how science and technology works (not to mention on how software algorithms work).

We need a better representation of the Trek future with what Rodenberry had in mind (no money - aka Resource Based Economy) ... which would (by early or mid 23rd century) actually be far more hyper advanced compared to what we saw in TOS or TNG (they would have been exploring other galaxies by the 23rd/24th century, and our own most likely).
    It's exponential development at a bare minimum... in reality, exponential is not even the case anymore... advancements happen at a factor of 100 to thousands or hundreds of thousands to millions (but its the monetary system that's bottlenecking everything down until 'cost efficiency' is satisfied - the Federation has no such limitations - no such advanced civilizations would impose artificial monetary constrains with an ability to produce abundance - we only do it because Humanity lacks proper education on a global level and the current system does everything it can to maintain itself, but even at its current pace, automation will simply render the monetary system utterly obsolete and useless by default - to think the Ferengi or other races are still using money is just plain ridiculous).

And to be honest, the preliminary design is not really something I personally like.
    Even as much as I liked NX-01, I had to admit that some of the sketches of what a possible NX-01 could look like looked better.
    I don't mind the final design of the NX-01, but get rid of those sharp edges from a starship... it just seems unnecessary.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    I have absolutely no interest in watching a series set in the 2250s. I don't understand the reluctance to jump ahead a hundred or so years after VOY. There is all that Alpha Quadrant territory to explore.
    Then don't watch it.

If they do it right, it could be good. However, they may not do it right. We'll see.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Probably will be a pretty good show, but another prequel is too "been there, done that, do you want to see my t-shirt collection."
    I personally would have gone with a different era. You have hundreds of years of Star Trek with giant "gaps" and you choose an era that's close to one that has been done previously. I don't get it. I'd have done either between the TOS movies and TNG or well after Voyager and the TNG movies. But, that's just me. My guess is they're trying to "connect it" to the original series, but they have to be very careful with that. The problem is, we already know from The Cage what this era should look like, so their "wiggle room" as far as interpretations isn't very large, unless they want to just ignore what came before, which will tick off a lot of people (but also be true to form.)

But, I'll still give it a shot. It could be good.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, not the brightest idea to set it in such an already fairly well defined era when there is so much more room in the sandbox in other eras to work with. Personally I'd have liked something in the period the Axanaar fan film is working in which deals with what lead to the animosity between races and the kinda cold war situation that was the result of this that we saw in TOS, or like a lot of people are saying, go further into the future than TNG and take some chances.
    So, the focus of the show is going to be the first officer. Original. :rolleyes: (we've seen plenty of episodes from the perspective of first officers)

If they weren't going to focus on the captain, I almost would have liked more of a "Lower Decks" type of show. For those who don't get the reference, "Lower Decks" is an episode from TNG's seventh season that focused on a group of young officers, with little shown of the series main cast. It's a somewhat unique episode as it shows what is going on entirely from the focus of people who aren't members of the senior staff. They don't sit in on briefings and have little clue as to what is going on, they just have to do as they're told and react to changing circumstances. They could have done something like that with this series and it could have been really interesting. Instead, they are focusing on the first officer, who is one step from the Captain's chair and knows all and sees all. Brilliant. :rolleyes:
    More again:

https://youtu.be/j9QHrNdgX4U

New ship design? Or a "guest ship"?