Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Official ST Fan FIlm Guidelines

oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
edited June 2016 in General Discussion #1
http://www.startrek.com/fan-films

And let the war begin.... :o
Post edited by oldmangreg on
Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Well, kiss Phase II, Continues, Starship Farragut, Renegades and a whole host of others goodbye. They just got the rug pulled out from under them. I guess that also means Axanar gets to return a buttload of money to their Kickstarter supporters, since they can no longer make their movie.

I wonder if this is going to be retroactively enforced, or if this is just a "this is what you can do from here on out" kind of thing. Because, if they're going to enforce it on films already made, then a lot of great films are going to be no longer available, which is truly sad.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Whoever wrote those guidelines seems to have a vested interest in keeping the CBS lawyers busy and well fed.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    what a douche move
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    It also says that anyone who worked on a professional production can't work on the fan films. So most fan films just lost Tobias Richter since he did a lot of the CG model building for TNG Remastered.

James cawley appeared in ST09 as a cameo "thanks" for the work he did in Continues/P2. Even Chris Doohan was in ST09.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    IRML wrote: »
    what a douche move

Sort of. I can actually see their side and a few ways in which this is a good move. For one thing, fan films have almost become an industry of their own. Several of them very closely skate along the line of what is and what isn't allowed in Fair Use. People are actually being paid for their work in fan films, which kind of defeats the purpose. It's also borderline illegal, as fan productions themselves have never been allowed to make money, so why should people who work on them be allowed to make money? Fan films are just that; films made by fans. If you're being paid for your services, can you really call yourself a fan of anything besides money?

Another way it helps is leveling the playing field a bit. Some fan productions aren't as blessed in the people they get to work on them, paid or otherwise. How do a group of friends coming together to make a film compete against a production that's made up of mostly industry professionals? And, if you don't think they're competing, check out what happens when one of those amateur productions posts on social media. Even if it's something that's been made to the best of their ability, spoiled fans roast them for not being as good as the professionals.

Now, do I think a few things are a bit too strict? Sure. Saying that a professional can't work on one of these films is basically saying that they can't do something they want to do in their free time. If a professional actor decides to participate in a fan production for free because they like it, what is the harm? Same with an effects person, or another crew member. But, I guess they felt people would abuse even that, so they banned it entirely.

Incidentally, Star Wars has had rules very similar to these for years and a number of aspiring filmmakers have put together some wonderful short films. There's even an annual awards show picking out some of the best. Some of those small films even lead to people being hired in the industry. Star Trek could do something similar, showcase some of the best that some amateurs have to offer and maybe they won't continue being amateurs. It's also easier to tell what is and what isn't professionally done if none of it is.

Furthermore, at least CBS/Paramount isn't saying you can't make fan films altogether. Some Sci-Fi franchise IP owners have done that.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    Dunno I think they are targeting the wrong thing. They should be targeting people with a aim to earn a living while under production. IE earn paychecks to spend on things not related to the production or gaining assets through the production for future profit. And I do not mean gaining say portfolio or non tangible things like reputation or skills, but physical assets be they physical or digital.

Instead it reads like CBS/Para do not want others to do better than them so any format that can challenge this is to be ceased.
    I definitely do not agree with the one shot, 2 part only, and time "limitations"

I know legally they are under obligation to enforce the copyright or lose it. The whole lawsuit thing I thought was aimed in the wrong direction as they fundamentally missed out on the main thing that made that production different than ones that came before. Add in the fact they targeted asset and likeness over profiteering then dropping the suit did nothing to protect the rights of those with lesser capital to protect their rights. (READ small timers like us) Who knows maybe it is "just as planned"

It is no surprise though given how neutrek was strictly limited to only directly related product. Joke is this happened after the film was considers a "success"

Oh well it is theirs to do with as they think is right.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Protecting the brand.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I think the time limit could have been an hour, but hey ho. The rest makes sense to me.

What I'd like now is for groups like Phase II and Continues to make original productions instead. Make their own universes and alter the sets that they have for it, to avoid infringement. It would be great to see what these groups can come up with themselves.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    What I'd like now is for groups like Phase II and Continues to make original productions instead. Make their own universes and alter the sets that they have for it, to avoid infringement. It would be great to see what these groups can come up with themselves.

Agreed. With the talent in those groups, there is literally no limit. I'll bet the won't have issues getting crowd funding for original films, either. They're already established as groups who do great work.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Agreed. Hell, I'd be happy to create universes for them to create films about. Maybe what's left of the SFM community should divert its attention to creating a very rich lore for a scene setting, and encourage film makers to use the 'SFM brand'

If the forum is truly dying out, maybe this can be the legacy we leave behind? (And hell, half the people here can build awesome models for fan productions to use!)
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    This is pretty maddening for me, since I finally got to work on a fan series... now it looks like we gotta scrap the whole thing, which is a shame.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    From what I gathered, Axanar has given them the middlefinger.... Not yet sure what the toher fanproductions will do, but I doubt everyone of them has the stomach that Axanar has.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I thought due to J.J. Abrams and Star Trek Beyond director Justin Lin's intervention, the CBS/Paramount lawyers had been convinced to drop their lawsuit against Axanar and Star Trek fan movies in general?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/paramounts-lawsuit-against-axanar-productions-star-trek-1777959978

Has that all gone tits up then?

:rolleyes:
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Abrams and Lin only endorsed a closure, besides they have said "the lawsuit will go away", not "the lawsuit will be dropped"....
    Besides, they're only two producers, not the CEOs of these companis, their words carry as much weight as an ants compared to ours....
    Probably was a cheap trick to soothe the angry fanbase anyway. Get some positive vibes for Beyond....
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I'd hope there was more to it than that, otherwise that could result in a backlash.
    While it likely wasn't the only factor, I would imagine ST:Beyond was a major part of CBS's decision to make the Axanar suit quietly "go away." That kind of press leading up to a big premiere of what you're hoping is going to be a blockbuster is bad. Though, they may also have not wanted to sully Star Trek's 50th anniversary celebrations and they also have a new series of their own coming up. Since they plan to release it online, I'd imagine that has a lot to do with their decision to release these rules. It takes care of multiple issues at once. It gives the Axanar project no legal way to complete their film while simultaneously doing away with competition for their upcoming series. So, they take care of multiple issues at once and no longer have to worry about the negative press of the lawsuit biting them in the butt. It's really a master stroke, assuming these rules don't have the same negative effect as the suit.

They probably figure some groups will bitch and moan at first but, with nowhere to go legally, will shortly just quietly go away. Meanwhile, lawsuits can drag on for years and a single suit doesn't address the larger issue.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    ... just quietly go away...

History has shown Star Trek fans don't do 'quiet'.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Just read a transcript, an interview with the CBS rep involved in releasing the guidelines.
    In a nutshell, CBS is providing "safe harbor" guidelines, what you can do if you want to be protected from a C&D or lawsuit. The rules apply to new productions, existing ones which have been filmed just need to be finished up are OK.
    There's a lot of flexibility; they want to encourage fans to make fan films, not to (re)create their own trek features or "tv-shows" - that is CBS's job. And 100k for half an hour of film is quite generous.
    Good points there, homerpalooza67. Trying to encourage more creativity is never a bad thing. Plus, I'm not sure people realize what you can do with 15 to 30 minutes. I've seen some fantastic 5-10 minute shorts.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    1. $50,00 for 15 minutes an hour; $100,000 for 30 minutes.
    2. They can use their own costumes and props, but if they want to buy, they have to go through official Star Trek stores.
    3. All films that came out and/or are nearly finished before the guidelines are safe.
    4. Non-professionals-only makes sense because it creates unfair advantages for fans who don't have access to those resources.
    5. No merchandise selling: anyone who has used ebay gets this :D
    6. Music from the shows and movies are third party, so you must contact the respective owners.
    7. It seems like no shared universe films; i.e. a bunch of different crews on different ships in the same fleet (such as TNG, DS9, VOY)
    6. Family friendly: to help promote the optimism for a better future for humanity.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.